Gopro Hero4 Micro vibrations

So just an update on my cables.

My question, what crimper are you using for these stinking small crimps? PA09....

Kudos to you for making up the HDMI cable, you are da'man. What type of tape or the white wrap material did you use?

Have you ever tried 3M's 70 series silicone tape.... $30 a roll, but man is it amazing to work with.

Yup, the PA09. These crimp pretty easy, much easier than the microscopic JST-SH terminals.

I used plain 'ol electrical tape, I wanted to use shrink wrap, but having to pass through and solder 19 wires, I feared I'd end up shrinking the end just by the proximity to where I was soldering. I may make up new cables at some point, these were just to see if it'd work at all, and reduce the vibrations. I'll look into that tape, never used it... yet!

Well for an initial attempt it looked great, you must have steady hands.

For your application I think you'll really like the 3M 70, no adhesive and has great flexibility. Problem is that it has about a 1 year shelf life in the box, not sure what happens to it after that. I've got a couple of rolls, wont use it up in the year, I'd be happy to cut off some and send you a couple of feet...Are you in the US?

Reactions: bluesgeek
Well for an initial attempt it looked great, you must have steady hands.

Yea, steady hands, and a lot of patients! It wasn't too hard, just had to go slow. I've never minded doing small tedious things like that. The one I made for my 2nd Solo, I ran the wires through a toroidal ring for added measure.

I've got a couple of rolls, wont use it up in the year, I'd be happy to cut off some and send you a couple of feet...Are you in the US?

Yea, I'm in NY and I'd love to check out the tape. Thanks for the offer! I'll PM you my address.

Reactions: RichWest
Spun you up a roll. And be warned, when it contacts itself it's bonded. Go read up on it before you use it. Dielectric strength is fairly high for how thin it is...and is resistant to heat. Could be a means to insulate the soldered terminals on the HDMI connectors. Better than heat shrink by far...

It appears you braided your cables, any specific pattern or just a random braid among pairs?

Spun you up a roll. And be warned, when it contacts itself it's bonded. Go read up on it before you use it. Dielectric strength is fairly high for how thin it is...and is resistant to heat. Could be a means to insulate the soldered terminals on the HDMI connectors. Better than heat shrink by far...

Sounds good, can't wait to see it. Heat shrink would have been stiff, although leaving the last inch uncovered would have probably negated that. Thanks again for sending the sample. I put a dollop of hot glue on the terminals which remelted and sealed it up as I shrunk the tubing. Just wanted something a little extra to hold the wires in place there.

It appears you braided your cables, any specific pattern or just a random braid among pairs?

It looks like it in the photo, but it's not braided. I just twisted the last unshielded inch to keep all the wires generally going in the same direction. Otherwise they kinda flail around and look messy. Almost certainly doesn't make a wit of difference!

For your application I think you'll really like the 3M 70, no adhesive and has great flexibility. Problem is that it has about a 1 year shelf life in the box, not sure what happens to it after that.

Love that stuff. We call it Tommy Tape... not sure why.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc