GoPro HERO4 Black/Silver update v4.0

How do you figure? Resolution has no effect on exposure.

Resolution does have an effect on the maximum shutter speed one can select (in manual) and that does have and effect on exposure. If one wants to stay close to the 180 degree shutter 4K is limited to slower shutter speeds which does increase exposure.

Some care about the 180 some don't.

Resolution does have an effect on the maximum shutter speed one can select (in manual) and that does have and effect on exposure. If one wants to stay close to the 180 degree shutter 4K is limited to slower shutter speeds which does increase exposure.

Some care about the 180 some don't.
I think you are confusing shutter speed and frame rate. You can shoot 24 fps, and a GoPro on auto will still use a very fast shutter speed if the lighting calls for it. Think of it this way. The frame might be 1/24th of a second, but the shutter might only be open for a fraction of that time. The 180 rule is a rule of thumb that basically means you want the shutter open for half of a frame. So at 24 fps, you'd set the shutter to 1/48. At 30 fps, you go for 1/60. But that's just a guide. You can shoot at 24 or 30 fps and still set your shutter to 1/500.

No not confusing them at all. The advantage of the update is manual control, that is what I thought we were discussing in this thread, not a auto which has existed since the beginning.

Like I said some want to stay at 180 degree some don't, you obviously don't care so 4k will work for you in auto. Back to my point the filters will handle 2.7K 60 fps at 1/120 more easily than 4K 30fps at 1/60.

Looks like a range of new settings that will please a lot of people here.

Protune Improvements:

* Lock Shutter Speed (video only)
* Finer white balance control
* Additional ISO options

Oh great see that's what I hate about the tech world...you buy something then it's outdated 2 weeks later.

So after reading through all 9 pages of this thread I didn't notice anyone talking about the display when recording video. Perhaps I'm the only one but since GP update 4.00, when I start recording video my iPhone 6+ switches to a digitally zoomed/cropped version of what I'm actually seeing/recording. The phone displays video normally (full frame) when not recording.

If i only fly during the daytime...what should my ISO be? Locked at 100?

I'm on 4K30 Wide 1/60 and use 2-stop and 3-stop ND/CPL filter.

just a comical observation, not directed at the constructive conversationolist here. Following with interest.

for months now

GOPRO SUX NO SHUTTER CONTROL, CANT USE IT AS A "REAL" CAMERA"

You mean it took them almost 2 years to give us shutter control? Yeah those 2 years sucked.

not that I'm complaining too much as it's better late than never.

I think it's even sadder that Hero5 won't have image stabilization in 4K if that leaked manual is accurate. The competition has absolutely demolished GoPro in this respect (Sony even has optical stablization in their latest action cam). If Solo supported Sony Action Cams I would drop GoPro in a heartbeat...their plummeting stock shows its a sinking ship that I dont even think Karma and Hero5 can save 'em....I'll be pleasantly surprised if IM wrong.

If i only fly during the daytime...what should my ISO be? Locked at 100?

I'm on 4K30 Wide 1/60 and use 2-stop and 3-stop ND/CPL filter.

You mean it took them almost 2 years to give us shutter control? Yeah those 2 years sucked.

not that I'm complaining too much as it's better late than never.

I think it's even sadder that Hero5 won't have image stabilization in 4K if that leaked manual is accurate. The competition has absolutely demolished GoPro in this respect (Sony even has optical stablization in their latest action cam). If Solo supported Sony Action Cams I would drop GoPro in a heartbeat...their plummeting stock shows its a sinking ship that I dont even think Karma and Hero5 can save 'em....I'll be pleasantly surprised if IM wrong.
Even sadder is no 4k/60. Again, if that leak was to be believed. I can stabilize in post.

there arent' any consumer cameras that can do 4k60 IIRC
you try and record 4k60 in the hero5 which seems to be permanently enclosed then you'll either run out of battery in like 20 min or overheat in 5 minutes.

Today I used the ND32 filter, 2.7K 60fps, 1/120 exposure, ISO100. Way too dark. The subject of the video was a forest tree canopy from high above going up a mountain. Really no bright surfaces. So in such a case, an ND16 would probably have been more appropriate.

Today I used the ND32 filter, 2.7K 60fps, 1/120 exposure, ISO100. Way too dark. The subject of the video was a forest tree canopy from high above going up a mountain. Really no bright surfaces. So in such a case, an ND16 would probably have been more appropriate.

In that case 4k at 30fps at 1/60 with the ND 32 would have doubled the exposure or about equaled 2.7K 60fps 1/120 with a ND 16.[/QUOTE]

So if Im understanding it correctly...older FW's ISO was set tup max ie if you set it at 400 it may have gone 100-400.

Now in v4.0 if you set to lock it'll actually lock onto your ISO?

I shoot in 4K30 and I just a quick test in cloudy sunset with ND4 I seem to have gotten smoothiest/best exposed result from 1/30 and ISO 200 locked.

What is its equiv in stops for ND8? 1/60 ISO200? 1/30 ISO100? 1/60 ISO 100? Sorry Im bad at these conversions.

Last edited:
So after reading through all 9 pages of this thread I didn't notice anyone talking about the display when recording video. Perhaps I'm the only one but since GP update 4.00, when I start recording video my iPhone 6+ switches to a digitally zoomed/cropped version of what I'm actually seeing/recording. The phone displays video normally (full frame) when not recording.

I have the same issue, when recording, the video is cropped.
Yet another issue, when will this stop.

i have four hero4 blacks and one hero3+ black. i updated 3 of 4 hero4 blacks. the one i didn't update is my main gopro for solo. only issues with v4 and solo is:

1) powers off automatically, but not on *you guys knew this already
2) when you start recording, the preview resolution changes

for the ability to lock ISO and set shutter speed these are non-issues if you ask me.

that being said, gopro support doesn't know what they are talking about. as long as you have the firmware files for the right model you can go up and down like an elevator.

next, everyone wants 3DR to update solo to work with these new features. GoPro hasn't even updated their own SDK to support these features yet. and even then they would have to be exposed to the hero bus and then and only then could 3DR even begin to update the firmware, the app and dronekit. and based on GoPro's commitment to their wireless sdk, i don't see GoPro doing any work on anything for the HeroBus nor or they obligated.

i like the testing you guys have been doing so far. i think i'll settle on this for my baseline:

2.7k resolution
60 fps
fov wide *i use the 3.8mm lens
low light & spot meter off *only jingle noobs use this
native wb *no need for the gopro to be changing tint every 5 seconds
flat color *i'll do the cc and grading thank you
shutter speed: 1/120 *FINALLY!!!
iso locked and adjusted as needed *FINALLY!!!
sharpness *unsharp mask > than gopro sharpening
ND16 or ND32

I heard back from 3DR as well. Like stated above they said the have no plans to rebuild for v4.00. They also stated this was the first they had heard about the screen resolution change when recording video and asked for a video of what was happening. Here is the screen capture that I sent them back.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: jibcamera
I heard back from 3DR as well. Like stated above they said the have no plans to rebuild for v4.00. They also stated this was the first they had heard about the screen resolution change when recording video and asked for a video of what was happening. Here is the screen capture that I sent them back.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is saddening news. Sounds like this will be one of the last updates....

This is saddening news. Sounds like this will be one of the last updates....

even if 3DR wants to update, they can't do anything until GoPro updates their own solution. GoPro has not even updated their own SDK yet. when GoPro updates their sdk and herobus api, then you can start blaming 3DR.

Heard back again from Owen. Here's his final response:

Here is the official respond regarding the GoPro update:

The new GoPro firmware update (v4.0) is compatible with your SOLO app video feed and settings will work just fine, however, it will no longer turn on along with your SOLO unit. This is permanent and probably that functionality will not be re-enabled for the new GoPro Fw, although this is not a final decision. Besides that, there's a video codec change that alters the video feed when recording on 2.7K and 4K. It will simply distortion the image that is displayed in the app (the live feed), but the video recorded on the GoPro itself is not affected by this.
In case you want to revert firmware to v3.0 to regain old functionality, the steps to downgrade the GoPro Firmware below:
1. Download the UPDATE.zip file for your camera. GoPro Firmware
2. Extract the files with the option Extract to UPDATE
3. Insert the SD card from the GoPro into the computer
4. Copy the UPDATE folder to the microSD card
5. Insert the SD card back into the GoPro
6. Turn on the GoPro. This will perform the downgrade (the camera will restart itself about 4 times during the downgrade, this is normal).

Any other questions please let us know.

Best Regards,

Owen Torres
3DR Technical Support

Nice, I updated to 4 because I want to play with exposure lock during long hyperlapses
Having that 3 firmware is handy to retrograde though
thank you

...... Besides that, there's a video codec change that alters the video feed when recording on 2.7K and 4K. It will simply distortion the image that is displayed in the app (the live feed), but the video recorded on the GoPro itself is not affected by this.......

Best Regards,

Owen Torres
3DR Technical Support

Can anyone elaborate on what the "distortion" is?
thnx

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea