GoPro HERO4 Black/Silver update v4.0

I unfortunately have to buy a new GPH4B. GP will replace it at 40% off retail. Most likely it would come with the latest FW, so what is the consensus? Go back to ver 3?
I actually suspect it will come with some older version of FW as they haven't manufactured those for awhile I believe. Worry about it after you get the GP and check the FW. I never upgraded past V 3.x as THE most important thing to me is auto-power on with Solo, which is lost in Version 4.

Hey guys the GoPro hero 4 black v3 should be back in the google drive download link now. Owen said it was being worked on.

I can see v3 in the google drive link now. If it was missing, It is back. I'm grabbing a copy for myself in case it disappears again.

I unfortunately have to buy a new GPH4B. GP will replace it at 40% off retail. Most likely it would come with the latest FW, so what is the consensus? Go back to ver 3?
I just unpackaged and fired up a new GPH4B - well, NOS (New Old Stock) and as expected, it had V 3.x FW. I am fairly confident that any 'new' GPH4B will come with V 3.x FW. Like Solos, they've all been manufactured and packaged long ago - and aged like a fine wine. :confused:

So this thread has been idle for a while. Great information from all of those testing the new Gopro settings as they became available with the V4.0 update.

So what's the word? It has been many months since the update. We even saw a further FW update with 5.0. How has everyone been using these new settings in concert with ND filters?

Please shared preferred settings/conditions, and those in which you've had the most success.

Or have we decided that the new firmware sucks and downgraded back to V3.0 due to the lack of in-app controllability, distorted FPV view when recording, and Camera not powering up with Solo?

Any replies appreciated.

So this thread has been idle for a while. Great information from all of those testing the new Gopro settings as they became available with the V4.0 update.

So what's the word? It has been many months since the update. We even saw a further FW update with 5.0. How has everyone been using these new settings in concert with ND filters?

Please shared preferred settings/conditions, and those in which you've had the most success.

Or have we decided that the new firmware sucks and downgraded back to V3.0 due to the lack of in-app controllability, distorted FPV view when recording, and Camera not powering up with Solo?

Any replies appreciated.

It has been discussed multiple times, there is no consensus, just personal preference. it basically boils down to:

if you wan the solo to automatically turn the gopro on, use v3. if you dont want linear and dont care about automatic on, use v4, if you want linear use v5.

I have upgraded and downgraded without issue, and my personal preference is v3 with a linear lens. i like v3 because the video output fits on the screen. in later versions the image on screen are scaled up and you are actually filming more than what is shown.

bought a hero 4 black now what?

filter choice is dependent on light conditions.

Reactions: RichWest
The linear is nice if using a wide angle but theres also alot more protune options with v5.0. Obviously you cant use them with solo but you can set them before you fly and the settings will stay the way they are. Some useful stuff like ISO and shutter speed locks.

Has anyone successfully downgraded from V5? I have switched between v3 and v5 multiple times but for the life of me I can't get the camera to boot the firmware update. What gives?

If you need a quality picture, then only on firmware 4, not lower!
Because you can manually set all the parameters

Reactions: algojo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea