HERO4 Black/Silver update v05.00 | Oct. 21, 2016

HERO4 Black/Silver update v05.00

Highlights

• Highlights:
    • Enables Karma compatibility.
    • Adds Linear FOV.
Karma Compatibility

• Enables live preview and camera control from the Karma Controller,
    including starting/stopping recording, changing settings, and more. Enables camera control from the Karma Grip. To learn more about Karma, visit gopro.com/karma.
Linear FOV

• Linear field of view (FOV) captures video without the traditional
    wide-angle look, for even greater creative flexibility. Available only for 2.7K and 1080p video.
This update is finally available to download on the gopro website but I haven't tried it yet. just wondering if anyone one else has tried it yet and if so how does it work with the solo app or solex app?
edited: Here is the link of the update i downloaded from the gopro website. Link

Last edited:
No need for it all on a modded lens. It's a software. Correction that could never rival an optical solution

What? Programmers tell me they can fix anything in software....;)
yeah I been hearing that all week (new system)
I was one of those people who knew how to shot in medium FOV 2.7k and crop down to a 1080 frame and have very little fisheye. Was not a believer in the flat lenses,
Until I got one

Reactions: Gosling1
Linear is not available via Solo app. Hope Solex can add some of these new features! Please???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

unfortunately, adding new gopro features to solo and and downstream software (3rd party apps), is a two-step process. first gopro must add the commands to the hero bus api (which they won't). next 3dr must add the commands to solo as well as drone kit (which they won't), now these new commands will be available to 3rd party apps.

the hero bus is deprecated and there is no reason for them to allocate any resources to keeping it current. the current sdk is via wifi and ble only. the usb-c protocol is similar to the hero bus, is private...GoPro only. and 3DR is enterprise only, so obviously no additions even if GoPro updated.

unfortunately, adding new gopro features to solo and and downstream software (3rd party apps), is a two-step process. first gopro must add the commands to the hero bus api (which they won't). next 3dr must add the commands to solo as well as drone kit (which they won't), now these new commands will be available to 3rd party apps.

the hero bus is deprecated and there is no reason for them to allocate any resources to keeping it current. the current sdk is via wifi and ble only. the usb-c protocol is similar to the hero bus, is private...GoPro only. and 3DR is enterprise only, so obviously no additions even if GoPro updated.

Makes sense. Planning on getting the 3.97mm.

I have a 4 black stock and a 4 black with the peau 3.97. I never use the stock one anymore. Maybe i'll upgrade the FW in the stock one or get a peau 5.4.
Regards,
David R. Boulanger

Linear is not available via Solo app. Hope Solex can add some of these new features! Please???

What happens if you use the camera controls to set the FOV to linear, and then hit "record" on the Solo app. Does the camera record in linear?

I partially answered my own question.

I changed the setting on the camera, then plugged the camera into the gimbal. The Solo app, which was running at the time (the Solo and the radio were also running and all connected), changed it's display to reflect the change I made in the camera.

What I don't know, is what the Solo app will do when it "sees" a setting on the GoPro to which it has no equivalent.

--

Bill

So i've heard that the 5.0 firmware on the GoPro's sometimes works with the Solo and sometimes doesn't. Does anybody run 5.0 on their GoPro's with the Solo? Don't want to risk updating to something that doesn't work with the drone.

Matt...I updated to 5, and while I can't swear that every little thing works, yes, it appears to work just fine...except...I can't figure a way to choose the "linear" FOV...I guess 3DR has to make that happen with the Solo app, and I guess there is doubt as to whether that will happen.

--

Bill

Does the setup work if you have the Linear FOV selected in the menu before connecting the Hero 4 to the Solo and using the Solo app ?

Does the setup work if you have the Linear FOV selected in the menu before connecting the Hero 4 to the Solo and using the Solo app ?
yes, set it as default startup using the go pro app- then The option is only available for 30 FPS at 2.7K, and up to 60 FPS at 1080p. also search this forum for "linear". much discussion on the subject.

Yes it does. I tested by turning the GoPro on, setting it to 2.7k/30 linear, plugged the camera into the gimbal, hit record on the Solo app (this also works if the camera is off when placed in the gimbal, and was set as default to video when powering up)...and yes indeed, I got a recording in linear. I could switch back and forth between photo and video, and linear video mode persisted. However, as soon as I changed any video setting...changing FPS or resolution...I could not get back to linear mode in the Solo app.

--

Bill

I updated my camera and now it will not automatically turn on anymore. I am looking for a way to downgrade back to 4.

Sorry if I missed it already being mentioned, but is there a fix for the GoPro not powering on via the gimbal anymore?

Sorry if I missed it already being mentioned, but is there a fix for the GoPro not powering on via the gimbal anymore?
It all depends on which GoPro you have and what version software it is on. My 3+Black does not power on with Solo, but will power off with Solo. My Hero4 Silver will power on and off with Solo, and it is running v3.0. If I update the Silver to the latest firmware, it will lose the power on function. For now, I am leaving it at v3.0.

Reactions: JB Slimp

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela