Welcome to 3DRPilots.com

GoPro Hero 4 Black replacement lens

Discussion in 'GoPro/GoPro Gimbal' started by Charingo, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Airpower

I know 10mp is low but the sensor is 8.4mp. I've tried two 16mp 3.97mm lenses but they have much worse edge sharpness than the 16mp gitup2 4.35mm lens which I currently use with no jello and no super mount. I don't believe there is any gain in getting a higher megapixel rated lens than the 4K sensor can do(8.4mp). So I would much rather go for what gives me acceptable even edge sharpness. I know this is like splitting peas but I'm really obsessive with quality as I'm trying to build a professional business out of this. I have learned that there is no such thing as a perfect lens, but for $10 I'm excited to try this 10mp 4.35mm.

speatuk I have been looking on AliExpress and just cannot find the super mount. I have searched GoPro super mount - GoPro mount - GoPro lens mount - GoPro s mount - m12 mount.. I even searched down the list of GoPro accessories for like half an hour. Any ideas? It would make me feel a lot better having a more secure lens, especially if I'm changing lens during a shoot

2. speatuk

Please see post #5 in this thread. Direct link

3. Airpower

I checked the link but that mount looks no different than the average gopro mount, with threads only on the bottom half. Compared to pictures of the pea productions super mount you can see threading going all the way to top. If you think it is still more secure than stock that is still an advantage that would make it worth purchasing for only a quarter of the price of peau mount.

4. pyrate

In the end its about results
    I had a 40 buck 4.4 cheap lens and was wowed by it. changed it myself and it was good. But I am totally happy with the results I got from my Peau
    Clients seem pretty happy too

5. Airpower

I really like the peau 3.97mm but i kept getting bad samples. I told them my lens couldn't adequately focus edge to edge with video evidence so i mailed them back that lens and they sent me a replacement. The replacement has even worse focus that is biased towards the left side. So while im sure you can get great results and I've seen them, peau wouldnt replace the replacement they gave me, which they atleast couldve sent me that first lens back, and $140 is alot. I was able to still use that lens perfectly if shot in 2.7k and medium FOV, but for some jobs ive had to take pictures which use the native 4:3 aspect ratio, and then i pixel peep and realize how blurry it is especially on one side. Just wish i could try some more samples becuase i love the way the lens looks, it flares wonderfully, their new 3.37mm lens has a wider fov and the lens flare is very spiky. All subjective as to what you want.
    Maybe I'm just too demanding:(

6. speatuk

I can assure you I got one from
    that link and it is threaded all the way it's on my number 2 H4B sorry I can't show photos of it, I would have to strip the camera down.

7. jetsetwilly

Ordered the 3.8 from 4k lens, how long does it normally take as says upto 60 days ?

Thanks

8. speatuk

It took 4 weeks to uk.
    But then again it's coming to you slow boat. So "up to 60 days" is a probability

Airpower and jetsetwilly like this.
  9. jetsetwilly

10. Airpower

Well the 3.8 still takes sanding the heatsink in order to focus all the way right?

I'll take your word for it speatuk on that mount, having that will make me sleep better at night!
    EDIT: bought the mount, thank you speatuk!

#30 Airpower, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  11. pyrate

They installed mine, so it could be they cherry pick good ones for the ones they put in, who knows
    but I agree on the flair. I like it on this lens better. So many stock gopros are out of focus you can see it on peoples videos. but most don't even notice it. I understand where your coming from, if you are not happy with it, it is never right