Welcome to 3DRPilots.com

Gopro hero 3

Discussion in 'GoPro/GoPro Gimbal' started by Seafarer, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Seafarer

Can you start/stop recording with the hero 3 black using the gimbal & 3dr app?

2. pyrate

3. Seafarer

Thanks looks like I'll have to upgrade the camera as well now

4. Chuck

Hey, Seafarer. I get confused with all the GoPro models. Is yours the Hero 3 Black, or the Hero 3+ Black? Mine is the 3+ Black, and has all the camera functions working. I know some people call their 3+ Black the Hero 3 Black without the +. It does make a difference. Just wondering. Good luck.

5. pyrate

yes Hero 3 + is
    Hero 3 is not, you can get feed but not control the camera

6. Seafarer

Thanks,
    My camera is the Hero3 Black not the 3+, with all current updates. I have the Solo set for "Other" in the camera settings & can get a feed. I have no feed if 3+ is selected.

7. Baron100

I have the Hero3+ Silver. I confirmed the other day with 3DR tech support that it is unable to turn the camera on and off with the current software. Many of us bought the Solo expecting it to be compatible with the Hero3+ plus models as advertised by Best Buy and others. A suggestion was made to their marketing that a matrix be made reflecting what functionality is available for the various Hero models. The matrix could be updated as new models and software updates adds new functionality. No response from 3DR. It is kind of a major issue because many Solo owners are former Phantom owners with the then current Hero3 cameras.

8. Chuck

Welcome to the forum, Baron100. Yeah, it sucks that some have found out the hard way, that not all cameras were created equal as far as being Solo compatible. I am with you on them coming out with something that tells what each camera can do with Solo. It is a large investment only to find out your camera doesn't work with it. I was lucky I had the 3+Black on my previous white bird. I wish you luck.

9. Seafarer

Thanks Baron 100. Looks like I'll need a camera update ( Once the "Boss" has forgiven me for coming home with the 3dr to begin with).
    I have found the Hero3 black will not give me a live feed from the Solo in 1080p @ 48fps & medium angle. Is this a drone problem or my smart phone. (Nexus 5 running Android 6).

10. JumboJet2

Chuck, your 3+ Black has full function with the gimbal?

My gimbal just arrived back home as I flew out to CA for work. Hoping my 3+ Black will be full function.

Thanks!

11. Chuck

Yes, mine has full functions. I just flew today, and everything went fantastic. Just make sure everything is on the latest firmware, and you should be good. Safe flying to you.

12. JumboJet2

Thanks, Chuck. Anxious to get back home now and get it installed. Hopefully will have good weather too.

Thanks again for the quick reply!

13. Chuck

No problem, Jumbo. I wish you luck. Also remember the people on here are great with sharing knowledge on any problems you may encounter.

14. Andres Echeverry

Hi Guys just I was reading all your post, and I flown my Solo just 5 times but my Gopro3+ turn on and off intermittently with a beep and I checked before mount on the gimbal that the GoPro has a full charge, anyone has any experience with this issue, I am not sure if this GoPro version is compatible or not with Solo, thank you

15. Chuck

Hi Andres. Is your GoPro the 3+Silver or Black? You need the 3+Black for full camera function. You also need to make sure your firmware on your camera as well as your app are up to date. Welcome to the forum, and good luck. There is a wealth of information on here.

16. Onezoso

I have the hero 3 black (latest firmware) and get no record or controls anyone else confirm the hero 3 black will NOT be able to be controlled by the app?

17. PdxSteve

PdxSteve Moderator
    Staff Member

Correct, needs to be 3+ Black (the plus), or H4 black or silver.

18. Kevin E. James

Well, that explains all the difficulty in have been having trying to get my Gopro Hero 3+ Silver working.... and I purchased it just for the Solo...

19. SARDG

There was a reason why those multitude of GP models got progressively more expensive - the features and compatibility went up with each model. I've had my original 3+B since their introduction as research way back then indicated to me that I would be buying myself into an immediate hole with anything less. That is especially true today.

20. Kevin E. James

Now I am looking for a Hero 4...,?