GoPro HDMI failure?

I had exactly the same problem (see one of my previous posts) and 3DR replaced my bird. The problem was that there was not enough slack on the HDMI cable coming out of the Solo. I had to wrestle with it to plug it into the Gopro. Fianlly I was able to open the bird and relieve some of the tension in the wire harness but the damage was done. 3dr replaced my bird and Gopro replaced my Hero 4+

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto, on all the above...flew my Solo for the 1st time last week, What a rush, an expensive rush, but at my age any rush will do.
Have a GoPro3+ & a GoPro 3 (Both out of warranty, both only used one other time a couple of Christmas's ago, neither had ever used the mini HDMI), everything was beautiful, flew twice in Santa Fe, twice on my farm in Medanales, and twice today in Ft. Worth. Total 6 sorties. Last sortie tonight HDMI failure on the 3+ (broke off, rattling around inside the GoPro), oh no problem I have a spare GoPro3 so I tried to hook it up...NO VIDIO feed, I followed all the steps on the support page, NO VIDEO...then I go to this site and what did I discover? HDMI failures galore...so I'm thinking OK what now???
Then I see the picture with the bent pens in the Solo HDMI hook up...So I get the magnifying glass out and what do you think I saw? My old eyes aren't what they once were but it looks like bent pens to me. NOW WHAT? Gosh I hate customer support calls, seems like that all I do is spend my retirement on support calls.

Reactions: Old Gimper
Ditto, Ditto, Ditto, on all the above...flew my Solo for the 1st time last week, What a rush, an expensive rush, but at my age any rush will do.
Have a GoPro3+ & a GoPro 3 (Both out of warranty, both only used one other time a couple of Christmas's ago, neither had ever used the mini HDMI), everything was beautiful, flew twice in Santa Fe, twice on my farm in Medanales, and twice today in Ft. Worth. Total 6 sorties. Last sortie tonight HDMI failure on the 3+ (broke off, rattling around inside the GoPro), oh no problem I have a spare GoPro3 so I tried to hook it up...NO VIDIO feed, I followed all the steps on the support page, NO VIDEO...then I go to this site and what did I discover? HDMI failures galore...so I'm thinking OK what now???
Then I see the picture with the bent pens in the Solo HDMI hook up...So I get the magnifying glass out and what do you think I saw? My old eyes aren't what they once were but it looks like bent pens to me. NOW WHAT? Gosh I hate customer support calls, seems like that all I do is spend my retirement on support calls.
Yeah I feel your pain bro, But don't hesitate to contact support and explain to them and ask for a new cable! You will have to take the solo apart or send it in , but it is easy to take it apart there are many youtube videos on this subject, you can fly the bird without the camera (But I know that's what you bought it for) I didn't think that the GoPro3 was supported just the 3+ and 4 (But I may be mistaken) sorry if so. I wish you the best.

The prongs should not be popped out like that - they should be slightly inset and all should look the same.
HDMIprongs.jpg

Take a close up picture of the bent prongs inside the HDMI cable and include it with you serial number in a support ticket to 3DR. When I had this problem they replaced the whole bird but I think they are stocking these cables now. Hopefully the have found a better supplier but the key is to make sure there is plenty of slack when you install the new one. But by then you should have your gimbal and this point will be moot.

Well I was lucky to have one of my GoPro cameras replaced from Gopro under the warrenty. However after installing the gimbal and having a minor crash. which 3dr has confirmed it was not my fault. I now have what looks like another broken port on my gopro :( confirmed today once I connected my camera to a tv via a mini to reg hdmi cable. Looks like ill be waiting yet again for either one of these companys to replace yet another camera. wish me luck

My HDMI connector also broke when I plugged in the solo connector. I think the solo connector is too rigid and unforgiving. In addition, I think the gopro camera hdmi doesn't usually get much use except with the solo.

Reactions: Engine24blue
I purchased a ribbon cable from Relish3d.com :) let's hope this puts a end to all the problems associated with the stock cable. Fingers crossed.

I had the same thing happen to me. Yesterday, I hardly pushed the cord in. Brand new go pro pretty much. Pissed off.
The more I read about Solo's and Gopro issues, the more I'm realizing I should've waited and purchased a Phantom. One shouldn't have to go through so much headaches to get a reliable drone with good footage.

Cost/Benefit.

Solo upgraded system is right around 750.

Phantom is right around 1150.

Horses for courses.

It also seems silly to assume you would have no chance of problems with another system. Read any of the other forums for a taste of such.

This may be a stupid question and I'm sorry, I'm new to solo I'm having video problems aswell. If I get a 3 axis gimbal will that stop my video problem?

I've took it apart and unplugged the hdmi and moved it around and it worked for a min. But then stopped again.

Cost/Benefit.

Solo upgraded system is right around 750.

Phantom is right around 1150.

Horses for courses.

It also seems silly to assume you would have no chance of problems with another system. Read any of the other forums for a taste of such.
What phantom are you referring to? I was looking at the P3 advanced, possibly a refurbished unit and they are WAY less than what you mentioned. There's actually one on Ebay now for $388.

Sorry. Was referring to the P4, since that is the most oft compared drone to Solo of late.

Still, a quick look shows a P3A w/4k coming in right around 800 Refurbished.

But if we're talking get refurbished then you can knock 150 off the Solo price, too.

I says horses for courses.

Sorry. Was referring to the P4, since that is the most oft compared drone to Solo of late.

Still, a quick look shows a P3A w/4k coming in right around 800 Refurbished.

But if we're talking get refurbished then you can knock 150 off the Solo price, too.

I says horses for courses.
Not sure where you're looking but brand new p3 advanced units are between 800 and 900. Refurbs are between 400 and 600. Either way I think it's worth it for a fully functional quad, Not having to tweak things to make it work well. On the solo we have the the hdmi issue, gps issues, antenna upgrade for better range etc. The P3A already has everything covered pretty much. Range is much better straight out of the box

Last edited:
Fixed the HDMI issue, I took solo apart, cut that zip tie holding it super tight and poof...I have video.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421