GoPro Connectivity Issues

Reaction score
haven't been on forums for 12+ years since my paintballing days. recently picked up 3DR Solo at Colma CA best buy without any issues.

plugged in GoPro to mini-HDMI cable provided on the quadcopter itself, started up app, Tx, and unit but could not get live feed off of GoPro. Tried disassembling quad to see if cable was plugged in (4 black screws in battery compartment, 1 stainless screw within gimbal bay but still couldn't get the rear compartment off.

anyone have advice/issues with live feed? read on RC groups on re-starting app, tried that (this forum seems much cleaner kept than RCgroups). will try force shutdown of app and re-starting of tablet later tonight. All software updated, using LG V510 tablet (Google Play Edition).

Hi,
Which GoPro are you using? That might be the issue.

And a question for my own purchase: did you pre-order your Solo through Best Buy's website, then pick up in store? I was going to do this but have been worried since the (SF) in-store sales staff seem to have no idea whatsoever about the product, beyond being able to look up the same SKUs I can find on their website myself. Also because there is no approximate ship date around which I can plan flights/projects etc.

• GoPro Hero 4 Black, updated to latest version.
  • Best Buy, straight walk-in and pick-up. they definitely had no idea about this product. Colma, CA did not have a dedicated 3DR display case. Guy specifically mentioned there was a physical note saying 'do not sell until 6/17' but the computer system let him sell it
  • call in and ask for them to hold it. they normally don't, but can't hurt. seems like i was the first to buy it at this store b/c (as mentioned above) they had no idea what this was until they got the box. came with free battery as well.
  • sign up for best buy rewards and you'll get $20 in store credit in few weeks. enough to buy extra pair (two total) propellers. note that stock package sold COMES with an extra black & silver propeller - a spare set will allow you to have a complete set (4 total) to swap out.

haven't been on forums for 12+ years since my paintballing days. recently picked up 3DR Solo at Colma CA best buy without any issues.

plugged in GoPro to mini-HDMI cable provided on the quadcopter itself, started up app, Tx, and unit but could not get live feed off of GoPro. Tried disassembling quad to see if cable was plugged in (4 black screws in battery compartment, 1 stainless screw within gimbal bay but still couldn't get the rear compartment off.

anyone have advice/issues with live feed? read on RC groups on re-starting app, tried that (this forum seems much cleaner kept than RCgroups). will try force shutdown of app and re-starting of tablet later tonight. All software updated, using LG V510 tablet (Google Play Edition).
Was reading another forum where the static GoPro cage can get in the way and prevent the HDMI cable from getting fully inserted. Is battery fully charged on GoPro. Powered on? I am just drawing straws here. I don't think they mention it but I wonder if the camera needs to be in NTSC mode.

i will check NTSC mode and plug gopro in without the cage to check full insertion, along with restarting tablet tonight

Seems like my discouragement with not being the first to have Solo in hand is diminishing by the day. Could be 2 more weeks before it arrives..looks like a lot of these little system bugs may surface and be answered through firmware updates long before I launch end of June. All is not lost on my late entry into the pre-order shipping que:)....either way I am still happily flying my P2

Reactions: Raybro
primary reason for purchasing Solo is increased payload and flight time. P1 with gopro & case (no gimbal), FPV setup was getting a mere 5min flight time. swapping b/w 4 batteries was not efficient.

I had the same issue do this exactly:

The sequence is as follows:

everything off
turn on Solo
turn on controller
turn on iPad
link wifi between iPad and controller
open app to "Fly School" main screen
attach Solo HDMI to Gopro
turn on gopro in video mode
press "Fly" on app

agreed. did that and it works.

full device shutdown and re-start, then connected gopro and live feed works.

thanks for everyone's input - hope others find this thread useful in the future. already told 3DR to include that in their next iteration of instructions.

Reactions: McSlevin
I had the same issue do this exactly:

The sequence is as follows:

everything off
turn on Solo
turn on controller
turn on iPad
link wifi between iPad and controller
open app to "Fly School" main screen
attach Solo HDMI to Gopro
turn on gopro in video mode
press "Fly" on app
i have the gopro hero black.
havong the same problem.
i did just as you said and it didn't work this is what i got.

check how far the micro-HDMI cable is plugged into the gopro. dont be afraid to give it another push as you should feel it "seat" into the port once again. that's one thing i didn't notice until i did my full round of troubleshooting yesterday.

check how far the micro-HDMI cable is plugged into the gopro. dont be afraid to give it another push as you should feel it "seat" into the port once again. that's one thing i didn't notice until i did my full round of troubleshooting yesterday.
will try it thx.

tried it but still a no go.
thx D i am flying with airplane mode on.
would that make any difference?

Ding ding ding..

Airplane mode probably has cell and Wifi shut off. Did you connect your Wifi?

Airplane mode shuts off wifi, bluetooth and cellular usually. You do not want airplane mode ON.

That turns off all radios for when you are on a commercial airplane.

Airplane mode shuts off wifi, bluetooth and cellular usually. You do not want airplane mode ON.

That turns off all radios for when you are on a commercial airplane.
turned it off and trird everything again and still no go.

So after turning it off did you open up your app on the phone, look for access points and see the Solo and connect?

Dirby for your phone to communicate with the Solo it needs to connect via WiFi. The same type of Wifi you would get at the local coffee shop or home with your phone or notebook computer.

The solo acts as a hotspot. So on your phone you need to scan for WiFi networks. When you do you will see the Solo. You connect to that.

I don't have a solo yet so cant give you any more info than that. But before they will talk, they need to be connected.

You will not get any telemetry or video without the WiFi connection.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421