GoPro Auto Exposure Alternative??

Reaction score
Is there a solution to the gopro auto adjusting exposure in the middle of a shot/move?

I'm using a gopro hero 4 black, and the only thing that drives me crazy is the exposure auto adjusting. It's most obvious when tilting from the ground to the horizon, but minor corrections can be noticed during any shot that involves movement. An exposure lock seems like the simplest fix but I haven't seen that as an option anywhere. Any thoughts or suggestions?

you have to make the gopro minimize changes. the best way to do that is to disable 'auto' features such as low light, spot meter and white balance. also minimize ISO to the lowest that you are comofortable with such as as 400.

the suggested gopro settings is the best settings for gopro anywhere on the internet
Suggested GoPro Settings for Solo

3DR went to great lengths to make a flying camera platform... And I love it, but seriously the more I use my drone the more I wonder what the fxxxxk they were thinking using a camera with no manual exposure...
I am already thinking of moving on to another drone for this one reason, to bad I love my solo. And yes I use all the gopro recomended settings from the sticky, protune etc.
33 years as a pro photographer, hate auto exposure.. Every sunset is a nightmare every waterfall is blown out, even ev + or - cannot save us! Yes you can fight with the ev and get somthing but its not a pro tool, 3DR change the camera option now!!!!!

Reactions: Doug Benson
3DR went to great lengths to make a flying camera platform... And I love it, but seriously the more I use my drone the more I wonder what the fxxxxk they were thinking using a camera with no manual exposure...
I am already thinking of moving on to another drone for this one reason, to bad I love my solo. And yes I use all the gopro recomended settings from the sticky, protune etc.
33 years as a pro photographer, hate auto exposure.. Every sunset is a nightmare every waterfall is blown out, even ev + or - cannot save us! Yes you can fight with the ev and get somthing but its not a pro tool, 3DR change the camera option now!!!!!
You bought Solo knowing it only accommodates a GoPro and you know GoPro does not have manual exposure. Just curious, but were you "hoping" 3DR would make another camera gimbal available?

People who don't like the GoPro should buy another drone or build their own.

Complaining that Solo doesn't accommodate other cameras is like buying a Corvette and complaining that Chevy doesn't offer it with a rotary engine. (I.e. Mazda)

ummmm have you even looked at some of the video being shot by pros on this platform? they can do it, what is it you are not able to overcome

Well I am sure if a pro shooter replied he/ she would agree auto exposure is a challenge too overcome. If you guys think its all ok try panning from a dark green forest canopy to a white waterfall , or perhaps pan from dim forest to sunset. Can it be made to work? Sometimes but its a trade off. Gopro is great camera for extreme sports where the action is the focus, for aerial photography manual exposure is very desireable.
I bought a drone marketed as a camera platform, all I ask is solo give us a better camera. I will not even mention that the white drone can of course use manual exposure... Solo should too.

Reactions: Doug Benson
You bought Solo knowing it only accommodates a GoPro and you know GoPro does not have manual exposure. Just curious, but were you "hoping" 3DR would make another camera gimbal available?

People who don't like the GoPro should buy another drone or build their own.

Complaining that Solo doesn't accommodate other cameras is like buying a Corvette and complaining that Chevy doesn't offer it with a rotary engine. (I.e. Mazda)
.....solo is sold on the basis it was built for the specific purpose of film useage, exposure lock is available on every cheap camera put there including your phone.

Well I am sure if a pro shooter replied he/ she would agree auto exposure is a challenge too overcome. If you guys think its all ok try panning from a dark green forest canopy to a white waterfall , or perhaps pan from dim forest to sunset. Can it be made to work? Sometimes but its a trade off. Gopro is great camera for extreme sports where the action is the focus, for aerial photography manual exposure is very desireable.
I bought a drone marketed as a camera platform, all I ask is solo give us a better camera. I will not even mention that the white drone can of course use manual exposure... Solo should too.

I agree that Most people see it as a limitation
I also know, some pretty smart pros have figured out how to get around the limitation and produce fantastic work

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela