Gimbal Wire Routing and the Shakes

Reaction score
I have seen several posts since the gimbal started shipping regarding cable routing and how that could be introducing unwanted vibrations. As a result there have been several posts/videos on special routing techniques to help reduce the impact from the cabling.

When my Gimbal came in back in late August, I put the solo on it's back and loaded the 3DR install video on my PC and proceeded to follow along and did the install. I never removed the battery tray, I just stuffed the wires in best I could as seen on the video. Since that day long ago, I have had great results. Today I decided to remove the battery tray to see how my cables were routed. It looks like my stiff HDMI cable is not touching the walls and is instead ran through the loop of a data cable. See below..
x1WRaE

This loop on the backside is not touching the Solo walls either. It is also not pulling hard on the cable, as I moved it easily with my finger. So if the cable routing on some is what is an issue, I thought I would pass along what I found. You can also see that the top of the gimbal motor is well centered and not being pulled in any direction.

The only other thing I would recommend, and this comes from early 2 & 3 axis gimbal experience on other MRs, is to balance the gimbal. Gimbal motors have never been particularly strong, and there is no sense in making them work and harder than they need to. They will also occasionally have a very slight shutter to them when straining and before they over current and reset. I have an ND8 filter on my GP4 BK, so to balance took a quarter on the large flat spot over the tilt motor and a nickel on the back side. It now hangs level with no power applied.

Reactions: Maddog and Del
I have an ND8 filter on my GP4 BK, so to balance took a quarter on the large flat spot over the tilt motor and a nickel on the back side. It now hangs level with no power applied.
Great tip on balancing the unpowered gimbal, never crossed my mind as I have no filters to be an issue. To bad the yaw motor can't be balanced in the same fashion....

Thanks for sharing your cable routing example. It proves the factory suggested method can work as advertised, based on your prior video examples. Here's to everyone else being as successful.

Thanks- good to know. Even with no filter on, my unpowered gimbal does not sit level. Never gave it a thought until now.

I wonder if there is any inconsistency in the length of cables 3DR has used throughout production. I don't think there's any way in hell I could route mine to not touch the shell. It seems like maybe it's longer than yours. Not to mention it's the stiffest cable known to mankind. And, cue the "mine's longer and stiffer than yours jokes." :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44