Gimbal Weights needed with Filter?

Reaction score
Anyone using filters try their gimbal with and without the weights?

Would 7.5g SRP ND filter on a Hero4 Black need counterweights on the Solo gimbal ?

They're about a gram or two heavier than my previous PolarPros which did not seem to require them.

Anyone using filters try their gimbal with and without the weights?

Would 7.5g SRP ND filter on a Hero4 Black need counterweights on the Solo gimbal ?

They're about a gram or two heavier than my previous PolarPros which did not seem to require them.
If it doesn't sit flat and level with the power off, it is best to balance it. Typically weights are needed on the far end of the gimbal furthest from the GoPro and at the lower left back of the GoPro. Your gimbal will thank you.

I use today the polarpro filters (ND4) on my gopro 3+ black and i do not need to rebalance the gimbal. The tests was ok.

If it doesn't sit flat and level with the power off, it is best to balance it. Typically weights are needed on the far end of the gimbal furthest from the GoPro and at the lower left back of the GoPro. Your gimbal will thank you.

flat and level as in the gopro is parallel to the ground when it turns off?

Here's what SRP said
"
Most of our customers do not balance, and none have reported abnormal performance. We do recommend balancing more as a precaution than anything.
"

I use stick on lead weights like used for auto rims cut to size. If it is unbalanced the motors could prematurely fail, at least that is the consensus.

Reactions: dirkclod
GP H4 Silver,,,a penny on back and left side as in other thread. Balanced perfect it seems. Moved penny slightly to the rear on left side but gimbal centered and no motor noise or droop

OK so I tried flying for the first time since the most recent solo/gimbal fw update and with the new filter

First startup gimbal stays at 0 degree and doens't move when I use the paddle or preset. Weird.

Restart it, the gimbal no longer starts at 90...somewhere 20-45% I thought may be the new filter is too heavy.

Then for a few seconds in the air, video shows the gimbal twitches a bit left to right by a few degrees.

So i just tried it on a flat even surface with no grass affecting clearance and now it tilts just fine.

I feel like I should still balance with weights just to be on the safe side so the gimbal motor isn't stressed.

So you aren't using the included counterweights but using pennies? Can you link me to this thread you are talking about?

OK so I tried flying for the first time since the most recent solo/gimbal fw update and with the new filter

First startup gimbal stays at 0 degree and doens't move when I use the paddle or preset. Weird.

Restart it, the gimbal no longer starts at 90...somewhere 20-45% I thought may be the new filter is too heavy.

Then for a few seconds in the air, video shows the gimbal twitches a bit left to right by a few degrees.

So i just tried it on a flat even surface with no grass affecting clearance and now it tilts just fine.

I feel like I should still balance with weights just to be on the safe side so the gimbal motor isn't stressed.

So you aren't using the included counterweights but using pennies? Can you link me to this thread you are talking about?

Twitch,

I think David is talking about this thread:

Adding ND filter to GoPro with Gimbal | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

I'm using various different coins depending on the filter.

Jerry

Received my 6 PolarPro filters. Did the "penny balancing" mod and sure enough the balance was near perfect on my desk. Suuny afternoon, breeze about 12 mph. Not bad. Tried the NB 8 PL 1st. Too dark but was more interested in the gimbal staying balanced. It did. Then tried the NB 8,,,much better. D/L'd to review and lots of vibration whereas without the filter and counterweights I was getting good to excellent results. Wind? So went back out late afternoon,,0 wind. NB 8,,great video quality, sharp, colors vibrant, but still vibration. Removed filter, pennies, and Velcro. Back to very good to excellent. only vibration was takeoo and ascent and descent. Just as before which I believe are the props but everything else solid. Now what? Looking for comments and suggestions.

Thanks

Received my 6 PolarPro filters. Did the "penny balancing" mod and sure enough the balance was near perfect on my desk. Suuny afternoon, breeze about 12 mph. Not bad. Tried the NB 8 PL 1st. Too dark but was more interested in the gimbal staying balanced. It did. Then tried the NB 8,,,much better. D/L'd to review and lots of vibration whereas without the filter and counterweights I was getting good to excellent results. Wind? So went back out late afternoon,,0 wind. NB 8,,great video quality, sharp, colors vibrant, but still vibration. Removed filter, pennies, and Velcro. Back to very good to excellent. only vibration was takeoo and ascent and descent. Just as before which I believe are the props but everything else solid. Now what? Looking for comments and suggestions.

Thanks

David,

I'm still waiting on my prop balancer. While waiting I decided to swap my props with a new set and it definitely had an impact. I would try swapping the props before drawing a definitive conclusion. JMHO.

Jerry

JR,
I bought 2 sets of new props, balanced them all and have been trying different combinations,,re-balanced them all again. Also on my 3rd gimbal and as I said I am very satisfied with the results I am getting sans the Polarpro filter and counterbalances. I have one motor that I would call really good motor (new #4) and 3 that I don't like the sound of. I have 4 sets of Boca Bearings arriving tomorrow and am going to replace all of them. Don't know if you frequent the Mod Club but have read some discussions about props and waiting to hear about some others trying different ones. My current feeling is that when SOLO's props are loading pressure (ascent and descent) that the outer area of the prop is changing pitch (radial speed faster than the inner area) and the shape changes inducing a vibration. I may be wrong but when landing I can here the motors rapidly responding to the ESC's and that's what I think is causing the vibration. Why I am seeing more vibration with the lens rig I don't know why. The additional weight doesn't seem like it should have much effect. Anyway, will continue to experiment. Going to try and find the one "sweet spot" on the back and left that will counterbalance the lens with just one weight, not two,,and try that. Will report the results of new bearings in a different thread. The quest continues.

Reactions: J R
Just got back from another test flight. I did find the "sweet spot" with a velcro'd nickel on the back. Actually was pretty easy to find, 1/2 between top and bottom back, just to the right of the motor. Close enough that I checked the clearance on the tilt several times before I left. Also put on my spare set of props but changed front to back, etc. A very good improvement and the ND8 lens on a sunny day make a significant difference. All in all I would say a B+. Still get some micro vibration ascent and descent but as I said before, I think it's the props and for the most part can be avoided by slowly transitioning from one mode to another. When I am in fast horizontal flight I have been switching to Manual and then slowly braking instead of just quick stops. So, to this point:

DBSmod antenna
MD8n GPS
formerly hostapd config change
leg extensions
2 new motor pods
3rd gimbal
2 sets new props (bad motor pod caused crash)
HDMI ribbon cable
circumcised Data cable
Polarpro Filters
Prop Balancer
Tab S touch pad (for TOWER) which I really like and use all the time
3D printed sun shade
2-GP H4 Silver
SOLO Travel Bag
Boca Bearing set of 4 bearings, circ-clips, washers

assorted other stuff such as X-acto knives, soldering tool, etc etc.

I should have kept the boat! lol

Reactions: J R
Hey Jerry,

Finally getting some stable video. I did this real quick, an "impromptu" moment so to speak. Was getting low light and still had the ND 8 filter on but lately all seems to be good.

Enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/145501502

Hey Jerry,

Finally getting some stable video. I did this real quick, an "impromptu" moment so to speak. Was getting low light and still had the ND 8 filter on but lately all seems to be good.

David,

Looks pretty damned stable to me. Don't get too close to that guy, I was waiting for him to lurch up and have a Sooo for lunch!

Jerry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks