Gimbal tilt presets during cable cam.

Reaction score
My gimbal presets do not work during cable cam? Paddle does work. Is this how it's supposed to be.

3dr support got back with me. They are supposed to function in cable cam.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well I guess I'm the only person on here with this issue haha. I flew the new firmware last night and same preset issues. I will keep updating this in case someone else runs into this issue.

Well I guess I'm the only person on here with this issue haha. I flew the new firmware last night and same preset issues. I will keep updating this in case someone else runs into this issue.
You have to "Set" the presets first for them to work.. I don't know if you did that yet?

Yeah I have them set to 75 and 25 degrees. They function perfectly in FLY mode but they don't function at all in any smart shot.

Yeah I have them set to 75 and 25 degrees. They function perfectly in FLY mode but they don't function at all in any smart shot.

That's Odd..?
You should try to call 3DR and see what they have to say.. They might just have a solution to your problem.. Unless someone els with more experience on this problem can shine some light !

Just my thought..

I've submitted logs so I'm giving them a couple days to take a look. It is a strange problem.

Hold on a second. Maybe I'm confused about what you guys are saying, but the gimbal tilt presets should definitely not work during a Cable Cam.

In a Cable Cam shot the computer takes over gimbal tilt (and flight functions). That is how it eases between the starting frame and th ending frame. Point A is not just GPS coordinates and altitude. It also remembers which direction the camera is pointed and how much it is tilted up or down. It's the starting frame of your video, and B is the last frame. So while the Cable Cam is running, it takes over gimbal tilt. You can temporarily override it with the tilt lever, but it always fights to get back to where it's supposed to be. So I wouldn't expect the tilt pre-sets to work at all, except perhaps to cause a brief stutter.

God....I'm learning something new everyday...Thanks @erikgraham :)
Ok. I'm not crazy then.

Cable Cam is basically the function that gives Solo it's name. It allows you to do something by yourself, "solo," that's always required two operators (a pilot and a camera guy). And the computer does a really nice job easing between A and B. There is an Options button that allows you to tweak the bahvior. And you can push the Solo back and forth along the cable yourself with the right stick, or hit the play buttons to have it do everything for you.

Hold on a second. Maybe I'm confused about what you guys are saying, but the gimbal tilt presets should definitely not work during a Cable Cam.

In a Cable Cam shot the computer takes over gimbal tilt (and flight functions). That is how it eases between the starting frame and th ending frame. Point A is not just GPS coordinates and altitude. It also remembers which direction the camera is pointed and how much it is tilted up or down. It's the starting frame of your video, and B is the last frame. So while the Cable Cam is running, it takes over gimbal tilt. You can temporarily override it with the tilt lever, but it always fights to get back to where it's supposed to be. So I wouldn't expect the tilt pre-sets to work at all, except perhaps to cause a brief stutter.
Ok, sounds good. I didn't know that so I didn't know if I was having a malfunction. Thanks for the clarification!

This is indeed confusing because 3DR support has told me presets should be functional in cable cam. Maybe they are confused by my question. Also if I set tilt angle at A and tilt angle at B and run cable cam my camera will not change angles.

I talked with Adrian at 3DR this morning. Tilt presets should function in all smart shots. This is a known issue and there isn't a fix for it yet but they are working on it. Anyone with logs related to this should submit a ticket. More data is a good thing.

Got the following back as well.

Paco (3D Robotics)

Oct 5, 9:47 AM

Hi Brett,

Hope you are doing well :)

I reviewed your question; "Are my preset tilt angles supposed to function during cable cam?", with our tech support team and the answer to that is yes.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with.

Thank you for your patience and preference!

Best regards,

Paco Armenta

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog
That is sad. Any idea on when this issue will be resolved? I am considering the Solo but due to the list of bugs i am unsure yet.

Yeah it pretty much makes the gimbal useless in smart shots. No ETA yet but I will keep this thread updated.

I cannot believe 3dr would release something with as many issues as the Solo. Very sad. My buddy had one and sent it back and got the phantom 3 pro. I had that too and its a nice machine. However i want something a little more solid, with some weight. I am still torn on waiting for the kinks to get worked out on the solo so i can have the option of the Go pro or getting the Yuneec g500 4k.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea