Gimbal - Operation

Reaction score
As the Solo Gimbal is a 3-axis product, how does one control the rotation ? The left paddle on the controller controls the gimbal tilt up & down position ....and 1 & 2 buttons on the right are presets one can set to a desired angle o thru 90......I get all of that.... ( all of this I refer to Y-plane axis )

But how does one control the X-axis ( rotation from side to side ) ...It appears the gimbal has a limited range of motion from side to side ...about 20 degrees either way.....

And I guess the Z-axis of the gimbal ( which I call yaw ) would just be determined by orientation of the drone itself when it is flying.

So, can the rotation & yaw be control by the controller ...or one just has control over the tilt up & down and that's all.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Anyone want to pipe in here.

Reactions: Spectre95
The yaw axis of the gimbal is just for stabilization and smoothing of the copter's yaw. If you want to rotate left or right, you yaw the copter left or right.

Reactions: overdriver999
The yaw axis of the gimbal is just for stabilization and smoothing of the copter's yaw. If you want to rotate left or right, you yaw the copter left or right.
So...rotation and yaw is determined by the orientation of the aircraft....and operator can only tilt up and down with controller.....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bilge, this is pretty standard operation across this class of copter. Your Phantoms and such are the same.

If you were able to control gimbal on the X axis, you would immediately get a leg in the shot.

The DJI Inpire 1 has 360 degrees gimbal control around the X axis, as its landing gear elevates in flight, out of view of the camera.

Yeah, controlling Solo's yaw while flying forward is pretty tricky, and maintaining smooth lines for smooth video this way (manually) is super tough - in come Smart Shots.

During any Cable Cam (CC) or Zipline, you can enable Free Look, which gives you full control over tilt and pan (copter yaw) of the camera, all while Solo is maintaining that perfectly straight line (or curve, as in a MPCC).

They though of all this, and expertly put it into the Solo's quiver to make it a perfect camera platform for a single operator - hence its name.

Thanks for thorough explanation

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

With practice, it will be become second nature. You just see and feel what it needs to do and your thumbs make it happen. As your yaw the copter, you make corresponding changes to the pitch and roll to maintain the ground track. Or, use cable cam and zip line smart shots :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela