Gimbal Not Pointing Straight?

Del

Reaction score
I was looking at the front of my Gimbal in between the 2 front legs and I notice that it's not pointing straight!! Its pointing more towards the left leg by about 10 to 20Deg.. It dosint look like it is pointing perfectly centered between the two front legs when I power everything up?
Is there away to fix this? Or will there be a fix for this in an upcoming FW?

Reactions: Wilder_Creative
The best suggestion for this so far, is to remove the battery tray so you can look down on the gimbal, and make sure there is nothing touching the gimbal during it's movement. You can manually move the gimbal through it's entire rotation to make sure no wires are touching it at any time. You can also re-route the wires if needed while the tray is off. If you have not ever taken the battery tray out, there is a thread on here, I believe, that shows you how. I was a bit nervous getting the GPS cover off, since it seems so flimsy, but I just took my time and it all went smoothly. After I moved the wires just a bit, my gimbal centered great. Hope this helps.

The best suggestion for this so far, is to remove the battery tray so you can look down on the gimbal, and make sure there is nothing touching the gimbal during it's movement. You can manually move the gimbal through it's entire rotation to make sure no wires are touching it at any time. You can also re-route the wires if needed while the tray is off. If you have not ever taken the battery tray out, there is a thread on here, I believe, that shows you how. I was a bit nervous getting the GPS cover off, since it seems so flimsy, but I just took my time and it all went smoothly. After I moved the wires just a bit, my gimbal centered great. Hope this helps.
Thanks Chuck for the respond!
I did take the battery tray off and made sure nothing was touching the Yaw motor and also made sure it wasn't touching the mother board and the Yaw was Centered ..so everything look good in that aspect .. I have no vibrations or flops !! And everything works great! But just that it's pointing more to the left leg when I power it up! Mabe I'll have to take another look under the battery Tray again and move the cable around to see if I can get it looking straight!
I just didint know if this problem would be a Hardware or a Software problem!

Thanks Chuck for the respond!
I did take the battery tray off and made sure nothing was touching the Yaw motor and also made sure it wasn't touching the mother board and the Yaw was Centered ..so everything look good in that aspect .. I have no vibrations or flops !! And everything works great! But just that it's pointing more to the left leg when I power it up! Mabe I'll have to take another look under the battery Tray again and move the cable around to see if I can get it looking straight!
I just didint know if this problem would be a Hardware or a Software problem!
I could be wrong, but there may actually be nothing wrong, and it may be on purpose. I just looked, and Both mine are that way, and they are working well.

Here is my guess. When the camera was upside down (in the fixed mount) the lens was centered. Now that it is right side up, the lens is off to one side. By tilting it slightly, they keep it centered and keep the legs out of the shot.

Now that I look at it I see it, but when I am I n the air, the shot looks dead straight on.

I could be wrong, but there may actually be nothing wrong, and it may be on purpose. I just looked, and Both mine are that way, and they are working well.

Here is my guess. When the camera was upside down (in the fixed mount) the lens was centered. Now that it is right side up, the lens is off to one side. By tilting it slightly, they keep it centered and keep the legs out of the shot.

Now that I look at it I see it, but when I am I n the air, the shot looks dead straight on.
I was thinking the same thing too.. Because it's not out by that much really.. But just enough to notice that the gimbal wasn't exactly centered !! I heard I can do a Stick calibration and it might help to correct this issue !
So I might do that this weekend to see if it makes a difference !!
But if its normal for your gimbal to be pointing to the left side a bit.. And if im not getting any problems when im filming..Than I guess don't fix it if it's not broken..!

I had the same problem too. The left leg extender would occasionally pop into view. After I did a compass & level calibration I think it went away.
Haven't seen the extender and it "seems" to be pointing straight or at least "more straight".

Reactions: Wilder_Creative
I had the same problem too. The left leg extender would occasionally pop into view. After I did a compass & level calibration I think it went away.
Haven't seen the extender and it "seems" to be pointing straight or at least "more straight".
Both mine point the same direction and the same amount, which would be the right way based on the lens location, though not by 20 Deg. More like 2 to 5 Deg. I would bet money if they didn't do that you would get legs when turning right.

Yea I noticed this right away too I think it's meant to be that way honestly. I've not had any issues with it.
Both mine point the same direction and the same amount, which would be the right way based on the lens location, though not by 20 Deg. More like 2 to 5 Deg. I would bet money if they didn't do that you would get legs when turning right.

i agree Earl.. When you think about that the location of the lens is on the right side of the camera... So if the gimal was totally dead nuts straight.. It might just pick up the right leg in the footage!! So maybe that's why the gimbal is pointing a little to the left ..Just a theory ?

Have you try place the solo with camera pointing north then power up solo, controller and app.

Remove the prop. and flip the solo up side down to see if the gimbal is centered. 1st time I assemble the gimbal it was offset to the rear. Gimbal data cable is very stiff and pushing it against the front of the body shell. Place the solo on flat surface make sure gravity is not pulling it sideways.

im thinking maybe the pan axis motor is rubbing against the pcb board.

I've took the battery tray out and made sure that nothing was touching the Yaw motor..and it was centered and not touching the mother board.. So everything looks good there..

Mine seems pretty straight and level. I did the stick calibration prior to installing yesterday.

Mine seems pretty straight and level. I did the stick calibration prior to installing yesterday.
I might still do the stick calibration and see if it makes a difference !! I installed my gimbal on Monday .. And I havint had a chance to test it out in the field yet because I'm so busy at work this week !! But I'll be up at the crack of Dawn tomorrow morning to go out flying to test the Gimbal !! Damn I can't wait !!! :)

Mine too. It must be intentional - I seriously doubt so many folks would have the exact same issue that wasn't truly a malfunction at all!

Everyone... Make sure the wires toward the front of the Solo and on top of the gimbal are pulled up in front... Anchor them if you can. Also make sure the hdmi cable is not tugging on the gimbal. Dont just look... Pull it left and right and see which way moves the gimbal. Move it the other way to give it slack and tape it or tie wrap it to the other wires...

I'm tellin ya...If you have gimbal problems where it is drooping or shaking, that is very likely the culprit.

i agree Earl.. When you think about that the location of the lens is on the right side of the camera... So if the gimal was totally dead nuts straight.. It might just pick up the right leg in the footage!! So maybe that's why the gimbal is pointing a little to the left ..Just a theory ?
Exactly. I just played with two of them. I am 100% convinced that it is intentional, as if I can now see that the "shot" is actually centered between the legs..... Take two items (one on each side) just past the legs, and start moving them in to the FOV of the camera. You will see what I am saying....

It appears the HDMI cable isn't routed properly based on the design intent. As you can see from the Gimbal manual, the HDMI wire should only need to protrude slightly to connect to the Gimbal. Mine is routed around a support bracket, which requires the HDMI cable to run around the entire bay before making a connection properly. Since it runs around the bay it appears to interfere with the gimbal dampeners causing the gimbal aim to shift.

In this photo, the green arrow and line indicates where the HDMI cable should enter the bay and connect. The red arrow and line indicates actual. Without completely disassembling my Solo, I cannot correct this.
Solo_Wires_Jpg.JPG SoloGimbalManual.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986