gimbal noise

Reaction score
Hi, just curious if it's normal for the gimbal to be making a noise when in standby. Light on the gimbal is flashing green and everything seems to be working alright just 80% of the time it makes a noise like it's trying to move. Anyone else have this issue? Is it normal. Thanks

Normal for gimbal it just stays centered. No noise, no heat from gimbal motors.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Thanks, do I just bring it back to the store I bought it from or do I need to report it to solo?

Thanks, do I just bring it back to the store I bought it from or do I need to report it to solo?
Depends on the store policy, I think? If they will just take it back & give you a new one I'd go that way.

The roll motor (directly behind the camera) on mine makes a faint "whirring" sound but it works fine. I don't know if it's headed towards failure or not.

Anybody have thoughts on Lance' question or my gimbal?

Check if gimbal was installed properly, if not, it will try to center it self, that may be the reason you hear it 80%. There are lots of instructions here & youtube showing what you need to know.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It's mounted properly, that's not the issue. There is a slight out of alignment issue at times but even when it's dead on center it is sometimes making the noise. I have been reading the other threads and haven't found an answer to my question.
...thus the post (hate it when people tell me to read other posts....NS really). Either way, still having the overheating problem to the point where it shuts down the gopro. I've read this in other posts as well but am yet to find a solution. Hello 3DR, I have well over $2,000 cdn invested into your product and have no problem jumping ship, joining the Phantom group if you can't give me an answer.

This is not a 3DR sponsored forum. I assume you are working with 3DR on this directly? If you bought it from a retail store, I would certainly consider getting it swapped, since what you describe is not the norm. There have been several reports from users of their GP overheating and turning off. The ones I am familiar with returned the camera to GP for repair/replacement which solved the issue.

Hmm, that's funny because I'm able to shoot without overheating with the exact same settings when not attached to the gimbal

Hmm, that's funny because I'm able to shoot without overheating with the exact same settings when not attached to the gimbal
That worked for some, and was not meant to be taken as a fix all for every situation. Glad I made you laugh though.
And what has 3DR told you? Are they working you through this?

I've only started troubleshooting the issue. Am going today to see if I can return the gimbal. The noise the off center and the overheating issues from what I've read, point at a defective gimbal. Thanks Jubalr

After calling support today for a noisy gimbal, was advised to unmount and re-install the gimbal. During this, the HDMI receptacle popped (very cleanly) off the board. Does this look like it was installed on the board correctly? Should the tabs have been bent or soldered? Appreciate any help.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1453788336249.jpg
    FB_IMG_1453788336249.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 39
  • FB_IMG_1453788344495.jpg
    FB_IMG_1453788344495.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 38
After calling support today for a noisy gimbal, was advised to unmount and re-install the gimbal. During this, the HDMI receptacle popped (very cleanly) off the board. Does this look like it was installed on the board correctly? Should the tabs have been bent or soldered? Appreciate any help.
Sounds like you found the issue with your gimbal. Now you get to go through the hassle of FedExing the gimbal back to 3DR for repair. Good luck, I've had nothing but headaches with my gimbal and I'm not very impressed with the 3DR service.

Sounds like you found the issue with your gimbal. Now you get to go through the hassle of FedExing the gimbal back to 3DR for repair. Good luck, I've had nothing but headaches with my gimbal and I'm not very impressed with the 3DR service.
Sorry for your problems, but glad your experience is the exception and not the rule on 3DR's customer service. How long since your Gimbal was shipped back?

Sorry for your problems, but glad your experience is the exception and not the rule on 3DR's customer service. How long since your Gimbal was shipped back?
It was shipped out yesterday. I live in Canada and it was shipped to the USA. After convincing the FedEx lady that the gimbal wasn't a bomb and that the gimbal isn't a drone but an electronic device used to steady the camera, she finally agreed to ship it out. I talked to the Solo retailer where I bought the drone, gimbal and about $1,500 in accessories, they wouldn't have a problem exchanging the defective gimbal for a new one and then dealing with 3DR on my behalf. But I guess it's 3DR's policy to make the customer have the headache of the return as well as troubleshooting the issue, taking video of the issue so I could prove it was defective, shipping it out and now waiting for them to either replace or refurbish a defective product they sold me to begin with. It's funny in a way because with all their crap they are putting me through, my friend and my brother were both looking at buying a drone but now seeing what I've been having to deal with are a little pushed away from 3DR and are looking more at the Phantom. Costomer satifaction can be the deciding factor to product success or failure. Social media and word of mouth can be a costly foe.

Last edited:
It was shipped out yesterday. I live in Canada and it was shipped to the USA. After convincing the FedEx lady that the gimbal wasn't a bomb and that the gimbal isn't a drone but an electronic device used to steady the camera, she finally agreed to ship it out. I talked to the Solo retailer where I bought the drone, gimbal and about $1,500 in accessories, they wouldn't have a problem exchanging the defective gimbal for a new one and then dealing with 3DR on my behalf. But I guess it's 3DR's policy to make the customer have the headache of the return as well as troubleshooting the issue, taking video of the issue so I could prove it was defective, shipping it out and now waiting for them to either replace or refurbish a defective product they sold me to begin with. It's funny in a way because with all their crap they are putting me through, my friend and my brother were both looking at buying a drone but now seeing what I've been having to deal with are a little pushed away from 3DR and are looking more at the Phantom. Word of mouth and social media goes a long way with customer satisfaction and I know a lot of people.
I think I would have taken the opportunity to return it where I bought it, since they are 1st responsible. I know many here have returned product to Best Buy for exchange.
If you want to do a little research on customer service, you will find the DJI has some of the worst in the industry and will often even deny a problem exists. If they decide to let you return for repair/replacement the wait is 4-6 months and will often include a charge. But you are certainly welcome to spread the word as you fit. Every product has issues.

I think I would have taken the opportunity to return it where I bought it, since they are 1st responsible. I know many here have returned product to Best Buy for exchange.
If you want to do a little research on customer service, you will find the DJI has some of the worst in the industry and will often even deny a problem exists. If they decide to let you return for repair/replacement the wait is 4-6 months and will often include a charge. But you are certainly welcome to spread the word as you fit. Every product has issues.
I did try to return it to the distributor and was told 3DR will not let them return a defective product. I also asked the 3DR representative and he said the same thing. It would've made it 100 times easier if I could've returned it to the distributor and I'd be out flying right now instead of complaining on a forum. I know a few people that purchased phantoms and aren't having any issues with costomer support.

I agree with Lance. I'm getting grill by 3DR about my defective Gimbal. They want every information you could imagine. Make me wonder why they keep delaying it at launch time.

I'm experiencing the same issue. At 75 to 30 angle my Gimbal make noise and vibration. Also the front left leg is always visible to my Video at that angle.

Finally, i watched a couple of Solo with Gimbal in 4k resolution on YouTube, and their front left leg isn't visible when they tilt down the angle.

Any suggestions?

I'm experiencing the same issue. At 75 to 30 angle my Gimbal make noise and vibration. Also the front left leg is always visible to my Video at that angle.

Finally, i watched a couple of Solo with Gimbal in 4k resolution on YouTube, and their front left leg isn't visible when they tilt down the angle.

Any suggestions?
You might want to check your installation. It might be rubbing on the cables. Mine just totally won't tilt at all and making weird noise. I'm on my third email with 3DR. If you submit a ticket. Get ready! They gonna ask you for a lot! Serial # Drone, Gimbal, receiver, what kind of go pro, tons of photos, How many time you flown it, When you bought it, receipt, 10 flight logs,more photos, uninstall the Gimbal take pictures, and reinstall, turn it on and take more video. I submit all that, I am not having good experience with them like some others. Good Luck!

Reactions: M3dR
You might want to check your installation. It might be rubbing on the cables. Mine just totally won't tilt at all and making weird noise. I'm on my third email with 3DR. If you submit a ticket. Get ready! They gonna ask you for a lot! Serial # Drone, Gimbal, receiver, what kind of go pro, tons of photos, How many time you flown it, When you bought it, receipt, 10 flight logs,more photos, uninstall the Gimbal take pictures, and reinstall, turn it on and take more video. I submit all that, I am not having good experience with them like some others. Good Luck!

They asked me to Calibrate my Solo which i did. And still the left leg appears on the view of GoPro. :( if i get frustrated, i'll return everything since it hasn't been 15 days when i bought it. Lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc