Gimbal mavlink communication

Reaction score
hello, i bought the solo gimbal, and i want to use it with my gopro, connected to my computer for making video of my landscape outside the apartment. I saw i cam communicate with the gimbal with mavlink. I connected the gimbal to Uart ( usb to serial) to my usb port on my linux computer. I opened a connection with the gimbal via mavlink, but now i don't know whitch commands and parameters i should send the gimbal for controling yaw, pitch and roll. Can anybody help?

3dr has not documented the communication protocol for the gimbal. so no one knows what actual mavlink is sent. theoretically though, you could run a dronekit script to control the gimbal as it has commands to move the gimbal.

example:
#Point the gimbal straight down (pitch, roll, yaw)
vehicle.gimbal.rotate(-90, 0, 0)

DroneKit-Python API Reference

So what are the odds the gimbal protocol is discovered or released by 3DR at some point? They seemed to go out of their way to help customers in the past (providing 3d-printable files for the Iris). I couldn't resist picking up a spare gimbal when they were $39, and I'm fine if all it ever is is a spare, but man would I love to be able to install it on another quad, even if all it did was basic stabilization - no GoPro control, etc. Full brushless gimbal for $39? Yes please!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc