Gimbal freak out

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
about 17 seconds into the video it freaks out for a second, thought I hit somthing. I did not.

Whats that about?

Typically it means it is binding on something. Usually a wire. Sometimes the body of the Solo. Open up the battery tray and look at it from the top. 99% of the time it is binding.

I've had that happen once in high wind. Was it windy? It seems like this is not too uncommon with gimbals to have something like this happen. I wouldn't be too worried about it. Just land it and power cycle and it should re-calibrate and correct the issue.

There are a number of instances of this behavior being spoken about on the facebook owner group.

I've experienced it twice so far. Both times I was flying high speed with very breezy conditions, once going forward and once heading backward. The theory at this point (accurate or not) is that if the motors are strained for a period of time the gimbal will reset to prevent damage to the motors. That flopping is the gimbal resetting

It looks like flying in very windy conditions and/or cables binding with the motors are the most likely culprits.

I have yet to experience any problems flying at a slower steadier pace. I'm sure we'll learn more in the near future. I'm hoping it's not a major issue going forward.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
about 17 seconds into the video it freaks out for a second, thought I hit somthing. I did not.

Whats that about?
unrelated but , were you flying on drift or sport mode?

Wasn't this the reasons the Gimbals had to be redesigned? sure I read somewhere the originals had to be modified because external forces could force the gimbal to move position?

I have had this same issue on a regular basis with my gimbal. I have worked with 3DR support and they have come to the conclusion that the gimbal needs to be re-tuned. So, it has been back in their possession for a bout a week now to be repaired. It started out slow like some of your units ; perhaps a single "droop" in a full battery. It became progressively worse as time went on until I was experiencing "droops" about every 20 seconds. It had nothing to do with binding wires or any other physical issue. We worked on it for several days until the 3DR technician said that they wanted it back for repairs. I even tried to balance it with weights to see if I could find a "sweet spot" , but it just continued to fail. I appreciate the fact that 3DR is attempting to fix the issue, but I also wish we (the consumer) had access to the trimpots so we could do the trimming in the field rather than have to ship it back to 3DR. I have several other quads with gimbals and they all have the pots for dialing them in. I hope your droops don't get any worse like mine did. It really makes the gimbal worthless.

Reactions: johnyb6633
This was in the FB group (Limp on roll axis). I'm hoping it doesn't become a regular problem. The two times I experienced it I was flying 30+ MPH. I'm going to fly as much as I can the next couple of weeks and just make an exchange at BB if need be. I'm hoping that's not the case because otherwise it's been very nice.

12046801_10101481766620337_6611798405009440764_n.jpg

Thank you for that information NYG, it explains a lot. These are the steps we went through with the support engineer. My gimbal did flash red when the droops occurred. I should also add that it would droop during hovers and no wind. I had also sent video and tlogs to them so they must have seen the current surges as they issued the RMA. Things like this happen and I really can't complain as 3DR is taking care of the issue and my Solo has been rock solid in all other aspects. It still remains the best flying quad in my stable by far.

...inform the customer the gimbal needs to be flown slowly and in low winds.

I'm new to the drone/ gimbal world. Is this kind of restriction common with other gimbals?

Is there any way to "stow" the gimbal in an "off" condition so you can fly rapidly to a destination without the gimbal straining to keep up even though you aren't filming?

Thanks for your help- I don't have my gimbal yet. Enroute here from B&H. :)

This may be old news but I learned something. My gimbal drooped a couple of times, nothing much really, but I looked everything over including the camera settings.
Orientation was set on auto. I put it back on manual, and haven't had a droop since.
Maybe it was getting confused when being rolled a bit or something like that by wind?

The Zenmuse resets around 13MPH winds in my experience, decent gimbals have a reset to prevent the motors burning out. Resetting around 30MPH is definitely not a problem.

I ended up owning 3 FY-G3's as the first 2 died as the gimbal didn't have an effective cut off.

Note: There's a bug at the moment on start-up where the Solo is best faced North to ensure the gimbal calibration is successful. This has been fixed but the fix needs to be tested so is due the first week of October.

The Zenmuse resets around 13MPH winds in my experience, decent gimbals have a reset to prevent the motors burning out. Resetting around 30MPH is definitely not a problem.

I ended up owning 3 FY-G3's as the first 2 died as the gimbal didn't have an effective cut off.

Note: There's a bug at the moment on start-up where the Solo is best faced North to ensure the gimbal calibration is successful. This has been fixed but the fix needs to be tested so is due the first week of October.
mine was doing this.. thanks for the update!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44