Gimbal data cable - Admitted wrong theory

Sounds good! I have a bunch of housings and headers ordered and will start making them ASAP.

Let me see how long it takes to make them once I'm doing them in greater numbers than just one at a time, but what would people think of somewhere around $20 to $22 or so shipped (USPS in the US)?
I'm good with that price.:)

People, I don't want to come across as over selling the solution or that it has solved the issue entirely, but holy shit... This is night and day type of results regarding micro vibes on my setup. I guess this is now Solo 2.0

Rich, just to confirm, when you say "the solution", you are referring to the replacement data cable exclusively, correct? And not several mods all taken together? (But if you are talking several mods, what are they?).

Thanks...

--

Bill

Rich, just to confirm, when you say "the solution", you are referring to the replacement data cable exclusively, correct? And not several mods all taken together? (But if you are talking several mods, what are they?).

Thanks...
--
Bill
Bill I have done several mods to allow the gimbal to work as it should, mainly superficial in the efforts required. The big thing that User Name's mod accomplished for me was what appears to be "the final" issue resolved, micro vibes.

If you're interested in reading and willing to make an effort, here are the mods I have assembled and that I am currently running on my bird. Like I've said before, they may not be "the" solution(s), but it has worked for me as I've progressed in understanding where the issue(s) reside.

Macro vibe reduction?

Compression versus Tension - Gimbal

fwiw, my goal was to provide a complete DIY solution. So my mods were keeping that in mind as I worked through to each and then released them to the community of the interested. All I'd ask, if it works for you, is to credit my solution so that others may accomplish the same levels of performance when they see your results. I kind of like the "rDub mod" reference....gives me street cred....;)

Learning by doing....Peace

Reactions: pious_greek
So my mods were keeping that in mind as I worked through to each and then released them to the community of the interested. All I'd ask, if it works for you, is to credit my solution so that others may accomplish the same levels of performance when they see your results. I kind of like the "rDub mod" reference....gives me street cred....;)

Learning by doing....Peace

Thanks Rich.

I've done the moongel mod, the earplug mod, and taking the covers off both the HDMI and data cables...not much luck.

I'm looking forward to the data cable extension.

--

Bill

Not bad consider the amount of wind I was dealing with, was done for a battery test. Flew this vid without a filter...minor editing for color....don't judge.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

've done the moongel mod, the earplug mod, and taking the covers off both the HDMI and data cables...not much luck.
I've done the moongel off the gimbal and tried a crap load of ear plugs, never got the results expected either. I would resolve one thing and develop two others.

I don't mean to sound like my mods "might" work, I just don't want to come across as that they do work and that's it. Gimbals and vibes are complicated subjects and there is no silver bullet. Even DJl's flagship Inspires 1/2 have vibe issues, let alone their other offerings. This is not an isolated issue to just Solo. Pros spend thousands of dollars and time attempting to resolve vibration at the hardware level. Because it reduces the amount of time in post editing, if at all.

Maybe I was lucky but my Phantom 3 Pro was rock steady...when I watched a video, I could frequently swear I was looking at a still image...I had to keep watching to see any movement...it was just pretty much perfect.

But...

NO SMART SHOTS :)

Maybe I was lucky but my Phantom 3 Pro was rock steady...when I watched a video, I could frequently swear I was looking at a still image...I had to keep watching to see any movement...it was just pretty much perfect.

But...

NO SMART SHOTS :)
More apples to apples is my Phantom 2 (Zenmuse gimbal). Amazingly stable and forgiving. Both it and the solo carry the same camera. I think going with a non blocky camera (ala GoPro) was smart of DJI.
But like you say: dumb shots only

The data cable bothered me from day one with my first Solo. Absolutely no justification for using such stiff wire going to a component that needs to be issolated from vibrations as much as possible.

Let me see if I have any remaining connectors and I'll make you one of the little extensions I've put on all my Solo's (bottom). It's a few inches long, just enough to put a little loop of soft silicon wire between the stock cable and the gimbal.

full
Can/do you still make the Gimbal power connectors? Like in the lower picture? I have a spare gimbal I would like to experiment with.

Can/do you still make the Gimbal power connectors? Like in the lower picture? I have a spare gimbal I would like to experiment with.
He has another thread offering these patch cables, Gimbal data cable extension

Had time to put one of these cables in a Solo yesterday and did a quick flight. A bit of wind so perhaps not the best test but I like it.
Seems you have editing skills...;) Nicely done on this example video, your prior videos look equally nice. It appears you had dialed in vibe reduction extremely well. Looking forward to more of your work.

Seems you have editing skills...;) Nicely done on this example video
Thanks. Flying and video editing, 10 minutes of pleasure and hours of pain (Yikes! Woke some neurons there: wasn't there some other similar saying in my way, way distant past?).

Been playing around with KDEnlive lately. Amazing what the developers have done with that. I see they've got a Windows version now as well.

By no means perfect, this was shot two week ago when I installed the patch cord for the first time. A fairly raw video, was playing with contrast and saturation in GP studio. Again for me now, it's how the camera picks up the light. I believe this was shot with a CP filter.

I have since soldered the patch directly to the main board. Also changed out bearings on my T-motors after 45 hours of flight. I'm hoping to get some flying time this weekend to see how everything improved. Would like to get a near downtown opportunity. Again, top quality solution by User Name....Solo 2.0

My goal with Solo has been to shoot stable video while at full throttle. I'm getting closer to my goal. One of yesterday's videos while testing batteries and my bearing replacement. This video was sped up by 380% throughout, most forward speed was max stick and obtaining 30mph. If you pause the video the image is fairly clear considering. The last 5 seconds of video was fairly stable, which was about 20 seconds in real time.

I have no clue why at 0:22 for the shimmy in the video, crosswind or maybe reaching max speed in FLY mode....and that Solo throttled back.

Reactions: pyrate
Here's a 40 second clip at real time from that video, since you asked nicely....;)

This is fairly raw from within GP Studio, PT auto enhance during conversion only. Just using a CP filter with EV at 0.0. Better post processing skills would yield better results, just saying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000