Gimbal data cable - Admitted wrong theory

Reaction score
I was trouble shooting vibes from my T-motor installed motors. Seems I have about 45 hours on them from when they were installed, give or take an hour. Not quite the recommended time to replace, 60 recommended by T-Motors, but I have bearings burning a hole on my work bench. So I have a project to perform over the next few weeks....yipee.

The vibes were distinctive through the power band. Basically felt it throughout the bird, even slightly to the gimbal/gopro. High frequency type of vibe, typical of a failing bearing, not what I had been accustom to from the T-Motors. Had noticed its influence on my videos over the last week.

Anyway decided to inspect further how the vibes were transmitting to the gimbal. With the motors running and the battery tray removed, I was able to feel the gimbal's data cable vibrate at the same resonant down to the connector....

I know many of you have said the data cable is a source of the vibe problem. I heard you loud and clear, but honestly I was not having any issue from it and never modified it from stock. Besides I was working the hdmi cable and the isolators angle for ridding vibes, which was not a waste of time. I humbly stand corrected regarding the data cable. The "S" curve I had on the data cable was somewhat effective, but not near enough it appears.

I was able to reduce the presently transmitted vibes by removing the heat shrink from both ends of the data cable along with the tie-wrap at the main board. I did leave on the mesh wire loom. Bam, could feel the vibes at the main board and the vibes dissipated as I moved along the cable to the connector attached to the gimbal....

So next move is to coerce a member to make me a new data cable with silicon wires... @pious_greek . But for now the video is fairly spectacular. Obviously removing the source of the vibration is very important, bearings and balancing of the motors and props. Possibly I'm finely done with vibes....;)

Will post a video this next week. Just wanted to share what I learned, that others already knew....Peace.

I was trouble shooting vibes from my T-motor installed motors. Seems I have about 45 hours on them from when they were installed, give or take an hour. Not quite the recommended time to replace, 60 recommended by T-Motors, but I have bearings burning a hole on my work bench. So I have a project to perform over the next few weeks....yipee.

The vibes were distinctive through the power band. Basically felt it throughout the bird, even slightly to the gimbal/gopro. High frequency type of vibe, typical of a failing bearing, not what I had been accustom to from the T-Motors. Had noticed its influence on my videos over the last week.

Anyway decided to inspect further how the vibes were transmitting to the gimbal. With the motors running and the battery tray removed, I was able to feel the gimbal's data cable vibrate at the same resonant down to the connector....

I know many of you have said the data cable is a source of the vibe problem. I heard you loud and clear, but honestly I was not having any issue from it and never modified it from stock. Besides I was working the hdmi cable and the isolators angle for ridding vibes, which was not a waste of time. I humbly stand corrected regarding the data cable. The "S" curve I had on the data cable was somewhat effective, but not near enough it appears.

I was able to reduce the presently transmitted vibes by removing the heat shrink from both ends of the data cable along with the tie-wrap at the main board. I did leave on the mesh wire loom. Bam, could feel the vibes at the main board and the vibes dissipated as I moved along the cable to the connector attached to the gimbal....

So next move is to coerce a member to make me a new data cable with silicon wires... @pious_greek . But for now the video is fairly spectacular. Obviously removing the source of the vibration is very important, bearings and balancing of the motors and props. Possibly I'm finely done with vibes....;)

Will post a video this next week. Just wanted to share what I learned, that others already knew....Peace.
And here I thought I was nit picky....

Reactions: speatuk
Always wondered about that, I noticed a big difference when stripped it and sort of just spread the wires out.
but like you said, a nice shielded silicone would most likely work better
I have to take mine back apart got a video feed problem poking back up
Picked up another gimbal just n case

I broke my beta cube for my DIY today, but Jester Drones came to my rescue so that is sorted out.
Been a crazy week here
first iteration roll out to the field at work for major technology upgrade
then I learned that I have a retinal occlusion and the loss of vision associated with it may be permanent, find out Monday
And my computer died

More of an obsession on my part, I'm hoping I found the cure.... Learning by doing...

Well that's just awesome. Seriously, I'm the guy that took his motorcycle apart the first winter I owned it so I have no room to talk.

Thanks @RichWest ! I haven't looked closely at that cable- is it shielded?
Have a pic handy?

I suppose it has a pair of specialty connectors that require a really expensive crimper to make?:D

The data cable bothered me from day one with my first Solo. Absolutely no justification for using such stiff wire going to a component that needs to be issolated from vibrations as much as possible.

Let me see if I have any remaining connectors and I'll make you one of the little extensions I've put on all my Solo's (bottom). It's a few inches long, just enough to put a little loop of soft silicon wire between the stock cable and the gimbal.

full

Seriously, I'm the guy that took his motorcycle apart the first winter I owned it so I have no room to talk.

Too funny, there seems to be certain common traits to drone owners/pilots. I didn't do it the first winter, but I did do it in my living room, so we're probably even!

14.jpg

Engine in the bath tub ready to be degreased.
10.jpg

Too funny, there seems to be certain common traits to drone owners/pilots. I didn't do it the first winter, but I did do it in my living room, so we're probably even!

14.jpg

Engine in the bath tub ready to be degreased.
10.jpg

Um are we cousins? Mine was in the living room as well! I wish I had pics but to be honest, I have a history of that sort of thing so it doesn't seem picture worthy.... BTW what year VRod is that? I've considered returning to Harley and that, a Night Rod or an XR1200 would be my choices.

Let me see if I have any remaining connectors and I'll make you one of the little extensions I've put on all my Solo's (bottom). It's a few inches long, just enough to put a little loop of soft silicon wire between the stock cable and the gimbal.
Wow, thanks. I do have several of the gimbal data connectors with the correct pins, say the word and I'll ship them to you...

I'm processing video right now. Not sure how it will turn out, but the video I shot this afternoon was pretty amazing on my PC. Still can't edit video worth a shit, but the point is stable video rather than my editing skills. I compressed it to 4X speed, as the unedited version was over a GB...you'll see....hopefully.

Wow, thanks. I do have several of the gimbal data connectors with the correct pins, say the word and I'll ship them to you..

I'll be home tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure I have some. I think I bought 6, I have 3 Solo's and I made one with some mid stiffness wire just to test before getting the really soft silicon stuff. That should leave me two more sets of connectors.

Between my data extension, my masochistic DIY HDMI cable, and balancing the props and motors, I'm down to barely noticeable micro vibrations. I'm hoping your gimbal mounting balls and a set of T-Motors I have waiting to be installed will finish even those off.

Um are we cousins? Mine was in the living room as well! I wish I had pics but to be honest, I have a history of that sort of thing so it doesn't seem picture worthy.... BTW what year VRod is that? I've considered returning to Harley and that, a Night Rod or an XR1200 would be my choices.

Ha! Now that's funny... What are the odds, huh? Pretty sure it was a 2003, it was a 100th anniversary. Nice bike, really fun to ride, but I just found the seating position really uncomfortable after 45 minutes. I traded it in on a Triumph Speed Triple.

OK, so 4X speed for the most part. I upload at 2.7K60 as always, but typically watch at 1080/60 for quality comparison sake. Some of ya'll may remember I had issues with YT, like most people, this is just to show how good the video can be on YT. Was only using a SRP CP filter with EV at -1.0, darker filter may have helped and EV at -0.5...it is what it is.

And again, I'm no video editor, just a mechanic...Also, got to admit I was a little jumpy flying, was anxious to the see the video results.

Hope I didn't over sell it, opinions welcome. No post stabilizing...nothing but air.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Too much pop in that video...I hate editing. Here's an unedited version.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: 3db-cruzman
Rich- looks good but I had a thought.
It might be easier to compare the various "fixes" you are testing by setting up a smart shot and running Solo through the same smart shot after each change.

That way you could compare the results of a fix more easily.

Reactions: MattM

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo