Get a Rev B GPS on BB Solos without the guesswork

I just got my backpack package in the mail. I opened my package and the serial is BB11A5A00XXX. and there are no circles by the barcode. Does this matter as the product code is BB15A and not the standalone product code? Just want to make sure I have the rev B GPS board.

Also I am noticing that the gimbal is pretty different from the one sold separately. The one installed does not have the 4 dampers but rather just connected at a center point. Is there really a difference?

I just got my backpack package in the mail. I opened my package and the serial is BB11A5A00XXX. and there are no circles by the barcode. Does this matter as the product code is BB15A and not the standalone product code? Just want to make sure I have the rev B GPS board.

Also I am noticing that the gimbal is pretty different from the one sold separately. The one installed does not have the 4 dampers but rather just connected at a center point. Is there really a difference?

you may have to pop the cover off the top and see. underneath you can see easily the board color. i get mine next week to be able to compare numbers. as for the gimbal now i am considering buying a standalone, 1 for a backup and 2 if they are really different. i am sure there is someone on here with both models and may be able to help with that

Don't know if it's back pack bundle bar code just pop off what looks like the windshield black circuit board is revB google video 2 tiny slots/tabs at top use small flat screwdriver. Gimble on drone if fixed other is 3axis stabilized 90 degree controlled from trans. . The boxes that have solo inside have the 2 circles.

Last edited:
hey AZAD814 another question for you, on bb website it shows the controller with the backpack combo having silver sticks. the other model has black, what did yours come with? just a curiosity thing thanks

The Gimbal is the same, the dampers tuck into the body as seen in the install video...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

hey AZAD814 another question for you, on bb website it shows the controller with the backpack combo having silver sticks. the other model has black, what did yours come with? just a curiosity thing thanks
Came with black sticks

Don't know if it's back pack bundle bar code just pop off what looks like the windshield black circuit board is revB google video 2 tiny slots/tabs at top use small flat screwdriver. Gimble on drone if fixed other is 3axis stabilized 90 degree controlled from trans. . The boxes that have solo inside have the 2 circles.

I popped it off and it appears to be black, see picture attached... so rev b here yes?

Attachments

• solo.jpg
    solo.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 57
So after getting the Solo with the Rev B I decided to add the DIY cardboard to see if it was going to make a difference. I took the Solo today and it appeared it had a harder time acquiring satellites after the mod. After 2-3 minutes it finally did. It fluctuated between 9-13 satellites. I was hoping for at least 15-16, but it never happened. I would say that the Mod (in this case) did not make a difference. All I saw was a longer time acquiring the satellites.
Maybe with the Rev B, the best option is to add the GPS from mRobotics.

If you don't want to go to the expense of upgrading the GPS board, at least do the cardboard mod. It costs nothing to do and is easy enough to do.

Instead of using cardboard, use an old credit card. "It's just about the perfect size and will help mitigate any moisture issues down the line.

...Maybe with the Rev B, the best option is to add the GPS from mRobotics.

There may be some confusion here. The solos were originally sold with a green gps module called Rev A with copper shield. Later models were sold with improved black gps module called Rev B with same copper shield. I bought two solos that had Rev A but just as others have reported my backpack bundle came with preinstalled gimbal and Rev B.

The mRos is a third kind of gps module which you can buy to replace existing Rev A or Rev B. My experience is that Rev B is much quicker acquiring satellites than Rev A especially with improved shielding. Now the mRos acquires even more satellites more quickly than the Rev B. To that extent, it's the best. However, I suggest people carefully test their Rev B with proper shield before spending $80 for mRos. It may not be necessary for average flyer to spend that money. My experience is the $80 unit acquires more satellites more quickly than Rev B. However, as near as I can tell, it is just as likely to lose all of those satellites and disconnect as the Rev B which makes me question the relative benefit.

Reactions: MCSPDX
Just pop the front cap and take a look. A green board = Rev A, a black board = Rev B.

Personally, I've not seen any performance difference between the two and I have one of each.

Same here, I have 2 solos and one is an A and the other is a B and there's really no difference, I get 12 to 16 sats all the time. My P3 and Typhoon G and H get around 18

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea