geotagging, cam trigger sync, etc

Reaction score
This is probably an easy one for @Jubalr and others with more experience....

I am setting up survey missions in tower. I download the dataflash flight log after the survey mission and attempt to geotag in mission planner.

Attempting to geotag images by syncing with cam messages and triggers fails because there are more cam triggers than images and i can only geotag by using the time offset method.

I am assuming that this is because the flight speed settings and overlap settings are require the camera to trigger more frequently than the gopro is capable of. Is this correct? are there any other likely reasons there would be more cam messages than photos taken.

This is probably an easy one for @Jubalr and others with more experience....

I am setting up survey missions in tower. I download the dataflash flight log after the survey mission and attempt to geotag in mission planner.

Attempting to geotag images by syncing with cam messages and triggers fails because there are more cam triggers than images and i can only geotag by using the time offset method.

I am assuming that this is because the flight speed settings and overlap settings are require the camera to trigger more frequently than the gopro is capable of. Is this correct? are there any other likely reasons there would be more cam messages than photos taken.
Not sure how often you were trying to trigger. I generally leave the Tower defaults for the mission, as it takes into account speed/height. I have never had much luck getting consistent results trying to tag with MP. I use Geosetter to tag my photos. Much more accurate and an easy process.

In case anyone else is having some similar issues, I finally got a flawless run where the number of pictures equaled the number of camera triggers so mission planner was happy... but i did have to drop the speed down to 6 mph.

I'm pretty confident at this point i was having issues because, as a result of my flight speed, altitude and overlap settings, tower was triggering the gopro faster than the gopro would accept a new trigger command so i was previously ending up with more camera messages than actual pictures.

6mph is crawling. I've run survey missions at 15mph and the GoPro was always able to keep up. Overlap and sidelap both set for 70%. Flown at 150-200ft.

Is it possible for Tower to take just one still at a time at specific locations? Re: travel to waypoint, loiter, take a still photo. Move to next waypoint, repeat. Trying to do this without hitting shutter on the app.
What is the behavior of Camera Trigger waypoint when length is set to 0? If the Length is set to a value greater than the mission length itself, is the first picture taken at the location of Camera Trigger waypoint?
Thanks.

Yes, you can do that. I did it last summer. I don't remember what I set the length to though. I don't think I changed it from whatever the default is. The problem I believe was it it doesn't take the photo while loitering. The photo command comes after the loiter command. So it ends up taking photo just as the aircraft begins moving again. I'm sure there's a way to get around that. But I haven't tried yet.

Thanks, maybe put the "next" waypoint in the same location, or one meter higher? I'll test it out and get back if weather holds this week.

How about taking a burst of 3 pictures can you do that?

In case anyone else is having some similar issues, I finally got a flawless run where the number of pictures equaled the number of camera triggers so mission planner was happy... but i did have to drop the speed down to 6 mph.

I'm pretty confident at this point i was having issues because, as a result of my flight speed, altitude and overlap settings, tower was triggering the gopro faster than the gopro would accept a new trigger command so i was previously ending up with more camera messages than actual pictures.

Here on the MAPIR website are tips for using Mission Planner and Geosetter to geotag images.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela