FYI, Re: drone registration

Reaction score
Just in case anyone hasn't done it yet, today is the last day to register for free.

I finally did it this morning, the entire process took about 2 minutes. :)

Reactions: erikgraham
Just in case anyone hasn't done it yet, today is the last day to register for free.

I finally did it this morning, the entire process took about 2 minutes. :)

Tom,

Can you give me the link you used? Haven't done it yet but will be traveling soon with all of my birds and I need to make the decision now.

Thanks,

Jerry

Tom,

Can you give me the link you used? Haven't done it yet but will be traveling soon with all of my birds and I need to make the decision now.

Thanks,

Jerry

Sure...I did it here:

sUAS Registration - Create Account

What's interesting is that it never asks for the specific drone information. It just gives you one certificate and one number, and tells you to affix that number to all of your drones. So I guess what it's really registering is you as the pilot, more so then the drone itself.

What's great too is that the FAA app is coming soon, which I actually really look forward to. That will make it easier to know if where you're flying is OK or not.

Reactions: erikgraham and J R
So I guess what it's really registering is you as the pilot, more so then the drone itself.

Thanks, Tom. Yeah, that's what I've read. You're not registering the bird, just yourself. I really hate doing this but I guess it's the new normal.

Jerry

That app could actually let us fly more places than we currently do. It could clear up ambiguity with local law enforcement.

That app could actually let us fly more places than we currently do. It could clear up ambiguity with local law enforcement.

Or the opposite. Now that I have the app, I realize that just about every single place I've flown in South Florida is not allowed. Basically, to find an acceptable place to fly I'd have to drive west until I hit the everglades, then keep going to the middle of nowhere.

Personally, I think the 5 mile rule about airports and heliports is a bit overkill. 2 miles would be more then sufficient. When you take into account that just about every hospital or police station has some kind of registered heliport (whether they use it or not), that leaves just about nowhere that you're allowed to fly. :(

Or the opposite. Now that I have the app, I realize that just about every single place I've flown in South Florida is not allowed. Basically, to find an acceptable place to fly I'd have to drive west until I hit the everglades, then keep going to the middle of nowhere.

Personally, I think the 5 mile rule about airports and heliports is a bit overkill. 2 miles would be more then sufficient. When you take into account that just about every hospital or police station has some kind of registered heliport (whether they use it or not), that leaves just about nowhere that you're allowed to fly. :(

From a pilot perspective, I disagree that two miles is sufficient. Weather, weight, noise abatement, emergency services, all may require a shallow or steeper glide slope depending on what's occurring in a given area. Rather than create rules for all 10,000+ aerodromes, airports, pads, clear spaces, it makes a lot more sense (and consistency) to simply set a flat rule that applies at the widest point.

If you want to fly near an airport, obtain your 333 and file Form 7711-1 for those times you need to, but the safety of live human beings inside actual aircraft carries an infinitely greater priority than a UAV.

But... that doesn't mean you can't fly there. You just have to inform the control tower as the FAA rules say. It says "give notice", not "ask permission", however if there is something going on and they say you shouldn't fly you shouldn't...but 99% of the time it will be ok. You just need to tell them exactly where you are going to be flying, and your max altitude so they can inform the other pilots in the area.

Can you fly your drone within 5 miles of an airport? -

Notice must be given to the airport operator or air traffic control tower
You can click on the airport in your area on this site and it will give you the phone number of the tower to call to "give notice".
U.S. Air Space | Know Before You Fly

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44