FS_GCS_ENABLE/FS_THR_ENABLE- has anyone actually used it? YES! Read on!

That's correct. There is a control and a telemetry link in the Solo controller.

Ok, that opens a can of worms!

So is one antenna dedicated to control and the other telemetry? And on which is the video feed transmitted?

There's a video on YouTube where a guy takes a Solo 1.6 miles out over the ocean miles using one of the Alpha antennas. I think I read him suggest just using one, so you get long distance with the directional Alpha, and more unidirectional for close range with the stock. But if each antennae is dedicated to one connection, it might be worth considering which one would be better tuned to close or long range.

I thought that one parameter was a failsafe for controller and the other for ground station i.e tower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both antenna are for the same thing and redundant. I forget the standard that is used. I've gone blank, but there is a specific WiFi standard that describes the uses.

Probably two data streams over the same wifi link. With wifi there is plenty of bandwidth for things like control, data, video.

Just like your computer can stream video and audio while also surfing the Web all while having IM conversations, etc.

The two antennas are for mimo diversity, nothing to do with control vs gcs.

Hurray I finally got a chance to test this out myself. I didn't have to power off the controller as solo lost communication all by itself as per the mission and the location I was standing in.
So is it ok to leave both of the changed parameters to 2 while operating solo in non auto mode? I'm pretty sure the FS_GCS_ENABLE parameter is ok to leave at 2 as I think its default value was 0 (disabled). What I'm trying to figure out is if Solo is hardcoded to RTL on signal loss or if the parameter FS_THR_ENABLE has to be set back to 1 (Enabled - always RTL). I asked someone associated with 3DR and they said it can be left at 2 but not an official answer tho.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hurray I finally got a chance to test this out myself. I didn't have to power off the controller as solo lost communication all by itself as per the mission and the location I was standing in.
So is it ok to leave both of the changed parameters to 2 while operating solo in non auto mode? I'm pretty sure the FS_GCS_ENABLE parameter is ok to leave at 2 as I think its default value was 0 (disabled). What I'm trying to figure out is if Solo is hardcoded to RTL on signal loss or if the parameter FS_THR_ENABLE has to be set back to 1 (Enabled - always RTL). Was starting to think that FS_THR_ENABLE wss specific to autonomous modes but now I'm not sure. I'm thinking FS_THR_ENABLE has to be set back to 1 as I seem to recall stories of flyaway solos due to parameters being changed. What say you guys?

I have left my parameters set like that.

So, if you switch and just use the Solo app, does the RTL still work? Or do you need to reenable the FS_THR_ENABLE before flying with the Solo app.
Yes, RTL should still work fine. The parameters are for losing controller signal while in guided flight, as in a mission. Easy to test though, clear any existing missions in Solo and put it in a hover just a short ways out and turn off the controller. A common way to test. But if that bothers you, you can take the props off and put it in manual mode and start up the motors and raise the throttle and turn off the controller. You should see Solos lights change color to RTL mode.

Reactions: Raybro
So what actually controls solo's returning to home on signal loss behaviour in general? I've been flying with FS_THR_ENABLE set to 2 as I'm using tower a lot these days but wondered what is telling solo to return home outside of this parameter. Is it hardcoded perhaps? I didn't see any other parameters that seemed relevant but maybe I missed it.

Reactions: Shawn Mehlert
So what actually controls solo's returning to home on signal loss behaviour in general? I've been flying with FS_THR_ENABLE set to 2 as I'm using tower a lot these days but wondered what is telling solo to return home outside of this parameter. Is it hardcoded perhaps? I didn't see any other parameters that seemed relevant but maybe I missed it.

Here is further info on the Failsafe system and RTL.. Failsafe system

It's an interesting question, and one not addressed in the documentation as far as I'm aware.

To clarify the question, it's this: The first 4 options (do nothing, disarm, RTL and land) apply to any flight mode, while the last (continue with mission) only applies to the Auto flight mode. With that set, where is the parameter that determines which of the first 4 options is to be used when NOT in auto mode?

What if you wanted it to continue with the mission when in auto, but otherwise just land? Since the Solo seems to RTL when in a non-auto flight mode, it would seem to be hard coded - you can set it to continue with mission in Auto, but it'll still RTL in any other flight mode.

Flight modes consist of the following:
  • Stabilize
  • Alt Hold
  • Loiter
  • RTL (Return-to-Launch)
Within the Auto mode the available parameter is:
Ground Station Failsafe Enable (ArduCopter:FS_GCS_ENABLE)
Controls whether failsafe will be invoked (and what action to take) when connection with Ground station is lost for at least 5 seconds. The GCS Failsafe is only active when RC_OVERRIDE is being used to control the vehicle....ie. Auto mode.

• Value Meaning
    0 Disabled
    1 Enabled always RTL
    2 Enabled Continue with Mission in Auto Mode

Flight modes consist of the following:

But what about the throttle failsafe, which is essentially loss of controller signal?

You can set it to:

1-Do nothing
2-Disarm
3-RTL
4-Land
5-Continue with mission when in Auto flight mode.

Where do you specify what you want to happen when you are NOT in auto mode, if you still want it to continue when you ARE in Auto?

Say I have it set to 5-Continue with mission when in Auto, but I'm not flying in Auto and loose controller signal. How does it determine what you want to happen? With the way the choices given, if someone chooses 5, the setting only pertains to when you're in Auto, and what should happen when NOT in auto is ambiguous.

From what Jubalr said, Solo will still RTL even when set to continue with mission when in Auto, which suggests RTL is the default when you have the throttle failsafe set to continue with mission when in Auto, but you're in a flight mode other than Auto.

But what about the throttle failsafe, which is essentially loss of controller signal?

You can set it to:

1-Do nothing
2-Disarm
3-RTL
4-Land
5-Continue with mission when in Auto flight mode.

Where do you specify what you want to happen when you are NOT in auto mode, if you still want it to continue when you ARE in Auto?

Say I have it set to 5-Continue with mission when in Auto, but I'm not flying in Auto and loose controller signal. How does it determine what you want to happen? With the way the choices given, if someone chooses 5, the setting only pertains to when you're in Auto, and what should happen when NOT in auto is ambiguous.

From what Jubalr said, Solo will still RTL even when set to continue with mission when in Auto, which suggests RTL is the default when you have the throttle failsafe set to continue with mission when in Auto, but you're in a flight mode other than Auto.
From the link Jubal provided it says this:

Continue with the mission if the vehicle is in AUTO mode and the FS_THR_ENABLE parameter is set to “Enabled Continue with Mission in Auto Mode”.
So in a mode other than Auto, it would RTL.

From the link Jubal provided it says this:

Continue with the mission if the vehicle is in AUTO mode and the FS_THR_ENABLE parameter is set to “Enabled Continue with Mission in Auto Mode”.
So in a mode other than Auto, it would RTL.

I can accept that's what happens, although I will test it at some point to verify, but the Continue option does no explicitly specify what happens when NOT in auto.

It's an If statement, not an If, Else statement.

It says If this condition exists (you're in Auto mode), Do This (Continue when throttle failsafe is detected). There is no specific choice for what to do if the condition (you're in Auto mode) doesn't exist.

For that, it would require an If, Else statement: If you're in Auto, Continue with mission, Else, RTL, or Land or whatever.

It might seem like I'm nitpicking, but all the options exist for a reason - there are times when you might want choices other than RTL when in a non-Auto mode, otherwise they wouldn't even provide the options. So if you want something other than RTL in non-Auto modes, and Continue when in Auto, it seems you're left having to connect to the flight controller and change that parameter before each type of flight.

Again, not nitpicking, it's just that it's good to really understand what the vehicle will do. I almost lost my 250 early on when I had the throttle failsafe set incorrectly. I thought I understood how it would work, but now that I do understand how it works, it's clear I had it set totally incorrectly.

I just don't like things not being spelled out explicitly.

I can accept that's what happens, although I will test it at some point to verify, but the Continue option does no explicitly specify what happens when NOT in auto.

It says If this condition exists (you're in Auto mode), Do This (Continue when throttle failsafe is detected). There is no specific choice for what to do if the condition (you're in Auto mode) doesn't exist.

For that, it would require an If, Else statement: If you're in Auto, Continue with mission, Else, RTL, or Land or whatever.

It might seem like I'm nitpicking, but all the options exist for a reason - there are times when you might want choices other than RTL when in a non-Auto mode, otherwise they wouldn't even provide the options. So if you want something other than RTL in non-Auto modes, and Continue when in Auto, it seems you're left having to connect to the flight controller and change that parameter before each type of flight.

Again, not nitpicking, it's just that it's good to really understand what the vehicle will do. I almost lost my 250 early on when I had the throttle failsafe set incorrectly. I thought I understood how it would work, but now that I do understand how it works, it's clear I had it set totally incorrectly.

Well said and I agree completely.

The loss of controller when not in guided is hard coded to RTL and can not be changed. And if it is not guided, then RTL is what I would want. But, loss of controller AND GPS in non guided, it will land. What else could it do?

Reactions: Raybro
The loss of controller when not in guided is hard coded to RTL and can not be changed. And if it is not guided, then RTL is what I would want. But, loss of controller AND GPS in non guided, it will land. What else could it do?
That is the only logical choice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbeatle