Frsky 7DB Patch Antenna

Reaction score
I went out today to test 2 frsky 7db patch antennas I had bought. First I used stock antennas got out to about 1000 feet before the "controller" icon on the screen turned red.
Next I mounted 2 frsky 7 db antennas I ordered from hobbyking I got out to about 700 feet and lost signal.
I tried adjusting the angles of the antennas with no luck So I cane home and did some research on the net. I found out that the antennas were made backwards, the reflector was up front not back so I took them apart and switched them around once the glue dries im going to go out to test again.
I will try to post a picture of the antenna with the cover removed.

Thanks MudMan for testing. Instead of watching the bars, could you take RSSI reading as well? It's in the display with satellite info.
Thanks

managed a quick couple flights with the frsky antennas I was at -67db at 1700 feet, didn't rth because it was starting to rain
I hit -75db and rth with the stock antennas at 1400 feet
both flights were at 100ft altitude and I was standing in the same spot.
Its raining now but I plan on trying slightly different antenna positions with the frksy antennas to try for more range.(I had them at the same positions as the stock ones)

Thanks for the results MM. Be interesting to see how close to that -75db signal it goes to RTH each time or how much it varies by antenna.

Did more testing today, same spot and height I rotated the antennas so the inside edges were touching the tablet mount, hit 2000 feet signal was -64db.
turned around because I was heading into a tree line

Hi mudman, I was looking around for some replacement antennas and found these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UOKG6XQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

HUACAM HCM08 3 x 8dBi 2.4GHz 5GHz 5.8GHz Dual Band WiFi RP-SMA for Amped Omni Directional Wireless Long Range Booster Extension Works With Network and With Mini PCIe PCI and USB Cards WAN WLAN Repeater

Do you know if these can be used as well? They are 8 dBi and don't seem to be directional. What do you think.

Thanks a lot,
Mike.

They look alright to me although I have no experience with dual band antennas. The physical size looks good, might be able to keep them on when you pack solo into a case or backpack.

They look alright to me although I have no experience with dual band antennas. The physical size looks good, might be able to keep them on when you pack solo into a case or backpack.

Thanks a lot, I just placed an order which should arrive next week. I'll do some tests and let you know how it goes.

I managed to do some tests and was quite disappointed. The antennas perform less than the stock antennas. I did the following test after the flight:
- I downloaded a Wifi app on my phone to measure the signal strength.
- I placed my Controller on my solo bag on the ground with the stock antennas.
- I walked out 35m with my hand phone (about 115ft) and the Wifi app showed -52dbi
- With the new antennas I got -58dbi
- With a 1 Alfa patch, not the same as you are using,(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R1PA9EO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00) I got -48dbi.

Just a note, I went to the sea side and with the stock antennas I got 1.1Km (3609ft)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado