FreedomPop

Reaction score
I don't have a fancy Android or Apple cell phone. I use an iPad mini, wifi only, when flying Solo. I'd like to use the features available to cell phone users, in particular the maps. I saw this ad for FreedomPop device, which provides a hotspot using LTE or 4G. 500mb a month free. Is this something that would work?
Also, this may sound rather simplistic but since I don't have a phone I don't know how things work-I'm wondering how do you connect to both the Solo and the internet at the same time?

Unfortunately, the setup you have will not be able to connect to both. Here's why:

Your iPad mini will use its wifi antenna to connect to the hotspot OR Solo, but not both. Therefore you can either control the Solo or get updated maps. A workaround to this is to download the area maps from the hotspot first, then connect to Solo.

A smart phone or wifi/LTE/4G capable tablet can do both because they use their wifi to connect to Solo while using the LTE/4G connection to maintain updated maps.

Note that you will not be able to use the follow-me feature.

Also, 500mb/month is not much data when you're downloading maps. I would think you would hit that limit after just two or three flights.

I've heard it said that you have to have cell connections for GPS and smart shots to work. Tablets with wifi only have GPS and communicate with solo via wifi. Why do they need cell connectivity for follow me?

Also, 500mb/month is not much data when you're downloading maps. I would think you would hit that limit after just two or three flights.
Are maps really that big? Based on the speed they download, I didn't think they were so big. I figured 500mb would last me a year!

I've heard it said that you have to have cell connections for GPS and smart shots to work. Tablets with wifi only have GPS and communicate with solo via wifi. Why do they need cell connectivity for follow me?

Have not tried Follow Me because it is too risky with all the mountains around here, but I fly mostly with no cell signal and smart shots like Cable Cam and Orbit work just fine. I don't see why Follow Me would require it either though.

Apple iPad Minis with wifi only do not have GPS receivers, which would preclude using the Follow Me smart shot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Granny