FPVLR question

Hi Chuck. I just installed the flpvr long range antenna and I've done it both ways. Can't figure out why you need to point it at Solo. But the person who posted that is one of the reasons I bought the antenna upgrade. It really works

What I mean is the antennas are great but don't know why he is saying to point it at Solo. I'm sure he will make a comment. He seems to know what he is talking about

It would be good to hear the reasoning for that. I can't figure out why it would matter, but I am not the smartest cookie in the jar, either....:confused:. I am real happy with my FPVLR antennas. I can confidently go as far out as I am comfortable, and the signal in close is great. I can go behind trees or other objects in close and not lose signal.

Line of sight
I think Ralph was gently pointing out without sounding like a dick, there are rules for flying a drone. I on the other hand don't mind sounding like a dick when I say those of you who boasting distances of 1 or 2 miles are not what I'd call responsible flyers and are contributing to the problem of drones being ostracized. Unless of course you live in countries that aren't bound to the rules of line of sight and 400 ft elevation, then I apologize.

Reactions: Burkeam
I think Ralph was gently pointing out without sounding like a dick, there are rules for flying a drone. I on the other hand don't mind sounding like a dick when I say those of you who boasting distances of 1 or 2 miles are not what I'd call responsible flyers and are contributing to the problem of drones being ostracized. Unless of course you live in countries that aren't bound to the rules of line of sight and 400 ft elevation, then I apologize.
I think you're reading what you want. If you look at his post previous to "line of site", you'll see he was just correcting a spelling error.

I think you're reading what you want. If you look at his post previous to "line of site", you'll see he was just correcting a spelling error.
You're right-I went back and saw he was correcting his error, but no I'm not reading what I want. I stand by my statement. And they are laws, not rules.

You do not need to point the directional antenna to the SOLO at start up and no the antenna does not get you a faster GPS lock. Getting a faster GPS lock just simply means you have a very clear sky and the satellites is easily found in clearer weather conditions.

The FPVLR SOLO Antenna is a "Helical Directional Antenna" therefore it must be always be pointed to the SOLO's flight path. Having said that, the antenna does give you a very limited range to fly your quad behind you before it will RTH. With your SOLO in front of you, it is best that your antenna is directly aimed at it.

If you happen to stray from your targeted direction of flight whether with the SOLO or your body orientation you will notice that your video feed and RSSI (bar) will become poor and could possibly RTH. Video feed is a good sign that you need to line up your antenna to get the best video and signal integrity with your SOLO.

For those using the WiFi Amp sold by either FPVLR and e-bay kindly follow my other thread discussion as I want to hear from those that uses the boosters. Here is the link to the thread below;
How is your distance with the Sunhan WiFi Amp? | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

Last edited:
Reactions: locutus
My son and I installed the v2 and tested at a local defunct airbase that is now home to a number of RC fixed wing pilots. First distance run with no interference from buildings or wifi was over 9800 feet at 200' AGL!! Got nervous once the Solo left the air base perimeter and was approaching a public and commercial area so hit RTH and brought it in safely. Second run was still on the base past hangers, metal structures and wifi interference. Outer limit on that run was still a very respectable 2800'. A mod well worth the $$ IMO.

My son and I installed the v2 and tested at a local defunct airbase that is now home to a number of RC fixed wing pilots. First distance run with no interference from buildings or wifi was over 9800 feet at 200' AGL!! Got nervous once the Solo left the air base perimeter and was approaching a public and commercial area so hit RTH and brought it in safely. Second run was still on the base past hangers, metal structures and wifi interference. Outer limit on that run was still a very respectable 2800'. A mod well worth the $$ IMO.

Hi SRF34. We're you using amplifiers or just the FPVLR antennas?

I just signed up today and am sure glad I did because I need help to improve the range of my stock Solo .... so glad to hear about about antenna alternatives as I rarely get much more than 600 - 700 feet distant from me and loose all bars kicking in the RTH.

Do I understand correctly, that FPVLR makes both a passive and an active LR antenna for the solo? Last time I was on their site I saw the passive one, but not an active one for the solo.
Maybe I was looking on the wrong place . . .

Do I understand correctly, that FPVLR makes both a passive and an active LR antenna for the solo? Last time I was on their site I saw the passive one, but not an active one for the solo.
Maybe I was looking on the wrong place . . .
Looking into that more, I see they do sell a booster amplifier, but not with the Solo package (which I already have). Just wondering who here uses an amplifier, and if so, which one and do you use one or two (for each of the Solo controller's antennas).

Yes get the 2.5w suhans and by the battery with charger. I can fly over 3miles in open areas. I bought the boosters to better my signal in high wifi areas. Boosts your signal around trees. You need to point antennas at the copter.

Reactions: DattaGroover

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40