fpv goggles

I use my Headplay goggles all the time with both Solo and Typhoon H. You're not racing so the little lag is no problem. You're flying high above the trees and you can hover and tilt the gimbal down and look all around the general area for any potential dangers whilst flying and before landing. I wouldn't recommend taking off or landing via goggles until you are comfortable with FPV flight. Flying FPV is a lot of fun.
P.S. I connect my Headplay goggles directly to my iPhone 6 plus and can therefore see all of the telemetry.

Reactions: fpvsteve and Maddog
Personally, I wouldn't recommend it any at all. Before you go this route, you should completely understand that implications of it.
  • You can't see what's going on around you, which presents a safety risk for you. This can be mitigated in a controlled environment, but not in a public place or park.
  • You can't see what other people in the area are doing, which presents a safety risk for them. This can be mitigated in a controlled environment, but not in a public place or park.
  • The HDMI output of the controller is video only. No data or information you see displayed on the phone screen. You will have no information about the flight and aircraft status.
  • You will not be able to interact with the controls on the phone, because you can't see them.
  • You will have no visual alerts on the screen or controller, because you can't see them.
If you understand and can work around these issues, have at it. Goggles are a lot of fun, but must be used wisely.

See RED
Great explanation bro! I'm new to the Solo Community, however been flying Home Brew Quads for a while. I'm a big proponent of safety for sure. I agree with you 100%. To me the responsibilities of flying a quadcopter is no different than the one of driving a car or the handling of a loaded firearm. Flying can be fatal to innocent bystanders on the ground.

All that being said, I'm an A/V Engineer by trade, there is a work around if you have (Mobile High Definition Link) MHL capable devices like the Samsung Galaxy S4,S5 S6, S7. (Not all phone/tablets are MHL capable).

The micro USB port on some devices may also be capable of MHL out.... So instead of using the HDMI out of the controller itself, you can use MHL out of your phone/tablet to any HD display for a perfect clone including all telemetry info. Been there, done that.

You would need an MHL cable plus USB power for feeding the signal out of your phone/tablet to the desired HD Monitor/Goggle.

Amazon.com: Aibocn 6.5 Feet MHL 11 Pin Micro USB to HDMI Adapter Cable 1080P HDTV for Samsung Galaxy, Note, Galaxy Tab, Galaxy Note: Cell Phones & Accessories

Possibilities are endless. Use the MHL for a goggle display, or heck, connect it to a 90" LCD...

Last edited:
I assume most drone flyers are not members of the AMA (Academy of Aeronautics). I myself am because I fly RC planes as well as a Solo. The adaventages of being a member, especially the insurance coverage. The AMA has developed a set of flight rule for safe drone operation using FPV goggles. Here are it's rules for those that are interested. https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/550.PDF

hello friends. I have the normal solo set up with the 3 axis and a gopro 3 silver or white, but the thing I want is fpv goggles, what should I get? I have a note 5 so one of the options I believe is that Verizon has the box you put your phone in and good picts but what do you think I should use. thanks friends. x

hello friends. I have the normal solo set up with the 3 axis and a gopro 3 silver or white, but the thing I want is fpv goggles, what should I get? I have a note 5 so one of the options I believe is that Verizon has the box you put your phone in and good picts but what do you think I should use. thanks friends. x

Try the Glyph hometheater google it! Its a little expensive. But a friend let me try his for my drone. It can be connected via microhdmi cable directly to the solo controller . It does not use your phone so you can....well just google it

I have the normal solo set up with the 3 axis and a gopro 3 silver or white, but the thing I want is fpv goggles, what should I get? I have a note 5 so one of the options I believe is that Verizon has the box you put your phone in and good picts but what do you think I should use. thanks friends. x
Your Personal Theater | Avegant Glyph
Here is the link i said for you to google. I appologize for being a bit of a jerk.lol. its 499.99 but worth every penny.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela