fpv goggles

Reaction score
hello friends. I have the normal solo set up with the 3 axis and a gopro 3 silver or white, but the thing I want is fpv goggles, what should I get? I have a note 5 so one of the options I believe is that Verizon has the box you put your phone in and good picts but what do you think I should use. thanks friends. x

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it any at all. Before you go this route, you should completely understand that implications of it.
  • You can't see what's going on around you, which presents a safety risk for you. This can be mitigated in a controlled environment, but not in a public place or park.
  • You can't see what other people in the area are doing, which presents a safety risk for them. This can be mitigated in a controlled environment, but not in a public place or park.
  • The HDMI output of the controller is video only. No data or information you see displayed on the phone screen. You will have no information about the flight and aircraft status.
  • You will not be able to interact with the controls on the phone, because you can't see them.
  • You will have no visual alerts on the screen or controller, because you can't see them.
If you understand and can work around these issues, have at it. Goggles are a lot of fun, but must be used wisely.

David, there are many threads here about that. If you search for "FPV" you will find lots to consider. Most people don't favor goggles because they lose site of Solo.

Also, the video feed from solo to your device, and thus, to your goggles, lags too much to fly Solo safely. It is nowhere near as fast as the 5.8 ghz you need for true FPV.

hello friends. I have the normal solo set up with the 3 axis and a gopro 3 silver or white, but the thing I want is fpv goggles, what should I get? I have a note 5 so one of the options I believe is that Verizon has the box you put your phone in and good picts but what do you think I should use. thanks friends. x

I agree with P2P and Maddog. Don't attempt FPV with the Solo video feed. It's not reliable enough and there is no telemetry. I've tried it with the controller HDMI out to goggles and it's too laggy.

I fly FPV with my X8 with an on screen display (OSD) module and a 5Gz camera transmitter that multiplexes the telemetry with the video. It's a great flying experience but you MUST HAVE A SPOTTER communicating with you. Remember line of sight is required by the pilot per FAA.

If you wanted to do it with the SOLO an FPV camera and transmitter system could be placed on top of Solo. Since it may interfere with the GPS just fly in Altitude Hold.

You can get telemetry if you have a tab like Nvidia Shield that has HDMI out and you use that instead of the HDMI out on the controller, which is just a pure video feed. That output will show exactly what's in the app - but that doesn't change the lag time you get with 2.4GHz.

Reactions: Qu@dK0pt3r
thanks everyone. it seems more problems than its worth, i'll stick with the good old I pad.

Yep, it sure does sound fun, but spotter simply can't be ignored . You'll be missing a Solo in no time!

Video googles work fine with Solo. I use a Headplay connected to the HDMI port of the controller.
Just remember due to the digital video transmission you have some latency. Its ok for slow photo shoot cruising, but not for speeding.

Video googles work fine with Solo. I use a Headplay connected to the HDMI port of the controller.
Just remember due to the digital video transmission you have some latency. Its ok for slow photo shoot cruising, but not for speeding.
Yep, they work - but Solo isn't in your line of sight of sight anymore - that is, with full sized enclosed models.

This is the ONE area dji is killing the solo. The one.

• You can't see what's going on around you, which presents a safety risk for you. This can be mitigated in a controlled environment, but not in a public place or park.
  • You can't see what other people in the area are doing, which presents a safety risk for them. This can be mitigated in a controlled environment, but not in a public place or park.
  • The HDMI output of the controller is video only. No data or information you see displayed on the phone screen. You will have no information about the flight and aircraft status.
  • You will not be able to interact with the controls on the phone, because you can't see them.
  • You will have no visual alerts on the screen or controller, because you can't see them.
If you understand and can work around these issues, have at it. Goggles are a lot of fun, but must be used wisely.[/QUOTE]
=======================================================================
  • big David you can try the VUFINE system. I find this system works quite well.
  • With VUFINE you can see what is going on around you while flying so you do not have a safety issue.
  • You CAN see what other people in the area are doing whenever you want to.
  • You CAN see your tablet and read what ever info is presented on it.
  • You CAN see your controller and the info on this platform.
  • VUFINE provides a FPV through one eye so you can see what your GoPro is seing while allowing the other eye to remain open to the environment around you
  • It requires a little practice to focus both eyes on the VUFINE screen or on the tablet/controller/environment but if a cobra chopper pilot can do it so can you - with practice.
  • You will be disappointed with the size of the FPV screen but again get used to it and it is not too bad. I am enjoying my Vufine!

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog
The new goggles have the Google eyeglass style screen, you can still see the world around you. The new camera has almost 180 degrees view with too much fisheye distortion. The old saying regarding fpv is very outoutdated. If you program a good break function in your FC, when you need to deal with interrupts in real world, you can park your vehicle in loiter .

If you understand and can work around these issues, have at it. Goggles are a lot of fun, but must be used wisely.
  • With VUFINE you can see what is going on around you while flying so you do not have a safety issue.
  • VUFINE provides a FPV through one eye so you can see what your GoPro is seing while allowing the other eye to remain open to the environment around you
  • It requires a little practice to focus both eyes on the VUFINE screen or on the tablet/controller/environment but if a cobra chopper pilot can do it so can you - with practice.
  • You will be disappointed with the size of the FPV screen but again get used to it and it is not too bad. I am enjoying my Vufine!
[/QUOTE]
Thanks Eddie -great review! Do you find bright sunlight to be a problem?

Thanks Eddie -great review! Do you find bright sunlight to be a problem?[/QUOTE]

Hi Maddog. You really are a prolific user of the forum. Always good to read what you have to say.
I have found that by using black insulation tape and taping my glasses around the viewfinder of the Vufine so as to exclude ALL light coming into my right eye area the view I now get is vastly improved. Like sitting at the back of a darkened movie house and watching the screen in front of you. A bit small but clear and it does the job. You can close your left eye for viewing the screen alone or focus both eyes on the screen then on the controller/tablet or on the SOLO itself flying way above you. With a bit of practice all of this happens seamlessly. Pity both my batteries only give me 5 or less minutes flying time. Don't even have time to set up an orbit or other smart shot before Return to Home sets in. Have sent a ticket but just sorry I am thousands of miles away.

I recently got my vufine in for all the reasons above. I haven't had much time to fly with it, but it definitely has a lot of promise. I've used maybe twice and it was pretty nice. I haven't tried it in bright sunlight yet though.

I recently got my vufine in for all the reasons above. I haven't had much time to fly with it, but it definitely has a lot of promise. I've used maybe twice and it was pretty nice. I haven't tried it in bright sunlight yet though.

Hey Paddles, Do what I did and use insulation tape to close all the gaps around the view finder. Works much better in bright sunshine. Nice to know there is someone else to compare Vufine experiences with.

Eds Vufine.jpg

Well that definitely qualifies as function over form :)

I'm not sure I want to blank out one entire eye to nothing but the VuFine. But, if it turns out to be impractical in bright sunlight, I will do just that.

Thanks Eddie -great review! Do you find bright sunlight to be a problem?

Hi Maddog. You really are a prolific user of the forum. Always good to read what you have to say.
I have found that by using black insulation tape and taping my glasses around the viewfinder of the Vufine so as to exclude ALL light coming into my right eye area the view I now get is vastly improved. Like sitting at the back of a darkened movie house and watching the screen in front of you. A bit small but clear and it does the job. You can close your left eye for viewing the screen alone or focus both eyes on the screen then on the controller/tablet or on the SOLO itself flying way above you. With a bit of practice all of this happens seamlessly. Pity both my batteries only give me 5 or less minutes flying time. Don't even have time to set up an orbit or other smart shot before Return to Home sets in. Have sent a ticket but just sorry I am thousands of miles away.[/QUOTE]
Hi Maddog. You really are a prolific user of the forum.
I talk a lot but never say much.:)
Thanks for the update Eddie.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela