Flying Solo with goggles (VR)

Hi Robert. Welcome to the forum. I have the hard case as well as the Solo backpack. There is always something extra that won't fit in either that you want to bring along. I bought a cheap nylon type tool bag that zips up to carry all the misc. stuff I want to bring along. It works well for me. Good luck, and safe flying.
Thank's I will try that. Have a great summer flying.

The HeadPlay - these works beautifully. The video comes from the HDMI-out port on the controller. You won't see the OSD information, but that's minor compared to the awesome view you'll get with these goggles. You won't win a beauty contest on the flying line, but they do work really well. I upgraded the internal lens to these. The only tricky part is using the right HDMI connectors, you'll need a mini and micro cable to connect the goggles to the Solo controller. I bought the Headplays from GetFPV.com
@Paul Emmert I've also got the HeadPlay & use them with the Nvidia Shield tab that has an HDMI, so I do get the OSD info. The only problem I'm having is that the video freezes or rolls, vice versa. I've tried several times making sure connections are good & all that. Are you having any issues with video using the HeadPlay w/SOLO? Peace

**UPDATE**
I just did a test flight using my IPad Air & no more video feed glitches. Come to think of it, the video issues I was having started after I plugged in the HeadPlay. IDK

Last edited:
Did anybody ever get their Vufine?
I'm Still waiting. They said they shipped to the kickstarter backers and are now starting on pre-orders. Ordered mine in December.

Nope But I will soon.
Did you get a shipping notice?

What I find interesting is that even though their updates tell of them shipping to backers, and the 'pick up day' they had in the bay area 3 weeks ago, there are no reviews on search results and no videos on youtube. If you sort results by upload date, there has been nothing new coming out. and people are generally pretty quick to post on stuff like this.

The HeadPlay - these works beautifully. The video comes from the HDMI-out port on the controller. You won't see the OSD information, but that's minor compared to the awesome view you'll get with these goggles. You won't win a beauty contest on the flying line, but they do work really well. I upgraded the internal lens to these. The only tricky part is using the right HDMI connectors, you'll need a mini and micro cable to connect the goggles to the Solo controller. I bought the Headplays from GetFPV.com
I would think if you were in a hot muggy area that they would get real uncomfortable real quick. I know just wearing a pair of safety goggles outside in the summer here in Florida my eyes will start burning etc.

I would really like to see that VuFine be available. A few reasons I find very important that make goggles impractical.
  • I typically fly in public places. I do not want to be blind to what is going on around me. With goggles, I have no idea who or what is moving around in the area. It's unsafe for other people that may walk into the area I'm flying. And it's unsafe for me because I can't see anymore moving up to me with less than good intent. If I was on my own private property or an AMA field or some other non-public place, it would be different.

• It's 85 to 105 degrees here in the summer. I sweat like crazy. Unless these goggles have a fan, it won't work too well.
Hmm. Has anyone thought about cutting a vent into the goggles and putting in a small CPU case fan?

Reactions: Mr GruntHunter
I would really like to see that VuFine be available. A few reasons I find very important that make goggles impractical.
  • I typically fly in public places. I do not want to be blind to what is going on around me. With goggles, I have no idea who or what is moving around in the area. It's unsafe for other people that may walk into the area I'm flying. And it's unsafe for mas I can't see anymore moving up to me with less than good intent. If I was on my own private property or an AMA field or some other non-public place, it would be different.

• It's 85 to 105 degrees here in the summer. I sweat like crazy. Unless these goggles have a fan, it won't work too well.
Hmm. Has anyone thought about cutting a vent into the goggles and putting in a small CPU case fan?
All of my same concerns as well.

• I typically fly in public places. I do not want to be blind to what is going on around me. With goggles, I have no idea who or what is moving around in the area. It's unsafe for other people that may walk into the area I'm flying. And it's unsafe for me because I can't see anymore moving up to me with less than good intent. If I was on my own private property or an AMA field or some other non-public place, it would be different.

They also make it very difficult to use the tablet/smart shots & Tower features.

I have been using Goggles with a N6 Nexus 6, "Cheap Goggles" $15.00 But fit well & stay in place.

Very immersive. Looks like a 55" TV. All telemetry visible.

I control most user input via Voice thru an automating android program called Tasker. 2 plugins need for tasker, Autovoice & Autoinput.

If say "4K wide" almost instantly it will change to 4K wide FOV.
You can make Voice commands for all UI menus & Button''s in Solo's app,
It get's boring to setup tasker, to do everything, but easy when you get the hang of it.

The way i use it, is when i get ready to shoot a shot, I then put on goggles to frame & proceed with shoot.
Feels like your really there!

When I'm ready to change batteries, I take off Goggles to better view my environment.

Nice setup, but it's not for me,? claustrophobic?

It all works, Root access will give you access to all UI in SOLO app.
you will not find any help on how to put all this together?
no one ever tried?

If anyone wants to put one together, let me know. I'll Put links, parts & program list together & eMail them to you.
Or may make a "DIY" Video & post it?

Last edited:
Reactions: baldguy and Tamj
I have been using Goggles with a N6 Nexus 6, "Cheap Goggles" $15.00 But fit well & stay in place.

I control most user input via Voice thru an automating android program called Tasker. 2 plugins need for tasker, Autovoice & Autoinput.

It get's boring to setup tasker, to do everything, but easy when you get the hang of it.

The way i us it, is when i get ready to shoot a shot, I then put on goggles to frame & proceed with shoot.

When I', ready to change batteries, I take off Goggles to better view my environment.

no one ever tried?

If anyone wants to put one together, let me know. I'll Put links, parts & program list together & eMail them to you.

Would you mind sharing that here as a post? I could link to it from the development thread.

Reactions: SteveReno
I use tasker for all kinds of stuff on my Android devices. It's my favorite app to tinker with. Your implementation for voice command is brilliant.

Reactions: SteveReno

The way i use it, is when i get ready to shoot a shot, I then put on goggles to frame & proceed with shoot.

When I'm ready to change batteries, I take off Goggles to better view my environment.

no one ever tried?

SteveReno you have peaked my interest. I'd much appreciate that email as mentioned. Please send to [email protected].

Keep'm Spinning
baldguy

Did anybody ever get their Vufine?
Got my Vufine today. Had to order the micro/micro adapter for the Solo and it will be in tomorrow. I have tried it from the cable box though and was impressed with the picture quality. Was able to easily read the scrolling text at the bottom of the news with no problem. Colors and sharpness look great. I think it will be fine with the Solo, once I check the picture in sunlight.

Got my Vufine today. Had to order the micro/micro adapter for the Solo and it will be in tomorrow. I have tried it from the cable box though and was impressed with the picture quality. Was able to easily read the scrolling text at the bottom of the news with no problem. Colors and sharpness look great. I think it will be fine with the Solo, once I check the picture in sunlight.

Yay! Finally a live human customer. I too was perplexed by the lack of reviews on what I find to be quite a remarkable product. When did you order it, where did you order it, and what "mounting" method are you using? This is likely to be my next purchase for the Solo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela