Fly:Manual - Won't Arm without GPS lock

Reaction score
Fly:Manual isn't supposed to use GPS, but I can't start the motors until the Solo gets a GPS lock.

I want to launch without the use of GPS. I might not be near an open field for a launch. When near objects, I don't want to risk having the Solo move into an object because of the GPS.

I have button A programmed for Fly:Manual. I press button A and verify on the controller screen that it's in Fly:Manual mode. I can't start motors (Arm) by moving the left control stick down and to the right or with the Fly button, The only way I can Arm my Solo is by first getting a GPS lock.

What am I doing wrong? How can I launch in Fly:Manual without first getting a GPS lock?

You have a distance based geofence set from using Solex, don't you? A radius or polygon fence requires GPS, or it has no idea if it is in or out of the fence. So if you have the radius or polygon fence enabled, you will not be able to arm without GPS. The solo's stock firmware doesn't provide a useful message to the user on this matter and leaves everyone scratching their head on this. A few of us pointed this out and had it changed in ArduCopter master a few weeks ago. So on real ArduCopter, the pream message now says Fence requires 3D Lock. But you're stuck with the crappy feedback on the stock solo firmware.

To fly without GPS, set the fence radius for unlimited and do not have a polygon fence set.

Reactions: jimloss
Thank you P2P

Yes I am using Solex and yes I did have a Distance Limit set in Vehicle Settings. I slid the slider all the way to the right until it read "No Limit" and can now arm while in Fly:Manual.

A question related to your response - do you know if 3DR is going to turn over their code to someone or to the community so that it can be maintained and fixes like this can be made? A message like this should be passed through to the user. Earlier this week I had the "Calibration Error". As soon as I connected Mission Planner to my Solo I immediately got a message on it's screen that I had an accelerometer error. For me, I'd like to get all messages passed through to the controller screen and/or to the app I'm using - even it requires a setting to be changed to see Detailed Messages. This is supposed to be a "smart" drone - it has this information available - why not share it with the user?

An observation related to Fly:Manual and posts in this forum: there are instances where manual launch/land in Fly mode and launching/flying in Fly:Manual mode are getting mixed up or not stated clearly. I guess the cause is probably due to 3DR's naming of the flight modes.

Funny you should mention that. Is there a chance 3DR will be issuing firmware updates to make this better? Nope. Is there a chance of 3DR issuing software/app updates to make this better? Nope. Is there a chance of someone else doing it? Absolutely!

First, the Solex app on Android allows much more messaging to be passed through to the user if you choose. The creator of that app is killing it with response to users and features. It is truly the future of Solo's user interface.

Second, several people over at ArduPIlot (including me) are working on hardware and firmware updates for the Solo's various bits. This effort really took off in the last few weeks and is proceeding quickly. In fact, I was up until 4am last night working on enhanced user feedback through tones, LEDs, and messaging back to the app.

Hi, I just got a solo and faced the same problems. I want to use the solo where it cannot receive GPS signals.
If I used solex, now I understood how to do that, but in case of normal solo, what should I do?
I read the users manual and it didn't say anything about programming button A , Android app does not seem to have such menu.
Please advice me anything is appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

First go to Settings, Advanced Settings and enable Advanced Flight Modes

Then, when connected to your Solo, go to Settings - Solo - and buttons (Presets) can be configured at the bottom of the screen.

Use with caution. If you aren't already familiar with flying without GPS, practice in this mode in a large open field. When in an open field and able to get a GPS "lock" the GPS can still be used to "save" you. Switch back to Fly mode with your Fly button, or hit the Pause button.

First go to Settings, Advanced Settings and enable Advanced Flight Modes

Then, when connected to your Solo, go to Settings - Solo - and buttons (Presets) can be configured at the bottom of the screen.

Use with caution. If you aren't already familiar with flying without GPS, practice in this mode in a large open field. When in an open field and able to get a GPS "lock" the GPS can still be used to "save" you. Switch back to Fly mode with your Fly button, or hit the Pause button.

Hi jimloss,
Thank you very much for teaching me so well.
I will try to do that and report you the result soon.
Also thank you for the caution. I am not familiar with flying (with or without gps, I haven't done yet!). I am going to use solo in a big gymnastic hall or a large open field. Before I do, yes I should practice a lot.

Thank you :)

Hi jimloss,
Thank you very much for teaching me so well.
I will try to do that and report you the result soon.
Also thank you for the caution. I am not familiar with flying (with or without gps, I haven't done yet!). I am going to use solo in a big gymnastic hall or a large open field. Before I do, yes I should practice a lot.

Thank you :)

Glad to help.

First learn to fly in Fly mode - with GPS. After you learn to manually land in this mode and fly Solo when it is facing any direction, then learn to fly in Fly:Manual.

Good plan to learn Fly:Manual. If you are ever in Fly mode and lose GPS signal Solo will automatically switch to Fly:Manual. Practicing in Fly:Manual will prepare you for this.

Also - do not fly Solo indoors. It is not designed for this, no matter how large the indoor area is. Some very experienced fliers can do this, but it's best to use a special configuration of firmware settings when doing this.

Glad to help.

First learn to fly in Fly mode - with GPS. After you learn to manually land in this mode and fly Solo when it is facing any direction, then learn to fly in Fly:Manual.

Good plan to learn Fly:Manual. If you are ever in Fly mode and lose GPS signal Solo will automatically switch to Fly:Manual. Practicing in Fly:Manual will prepare you for this.

Also - do not fly Solo indoors. It is not designed for this, no matter how large the indoor area is. Some very experienced fliers can do this, but it's best to use a special configuration of firmware settings when doing this.

Thank you jimloss, I could make it.
At first solo still stuck in the same so I was about to ask you again, then suddenly the status changed.
Again, thank you very much.
Now I think I should refrain to use solo indoors.
I have to show it so I only make its propeller move but not fly.

Reactions: jimloss
Hi jimloss,
I found why it took so long to move to fly:manual mode.
I have to hold 3dr solo up (not put it on the ground or on a table) then mode changes to fly:manual.

:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela