Florida Keys Video

Reaction score
Hey, all -

Recent gigs have taken me to some great flying locations. Here's some footage from the Florida Keys taken on a recent trip. Winds were between 16 and 21 mph and I had the gimbal go limp at least once due to the force (it recovered on the next flight.) I've done all the mods that I want for now, so it's time to start looking at vibrations, lenses, filters and post-production. Any critique/advice is welcome; thanks!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fantastic job! And I was impressed that you avoided flying on top of the highway, avoided people, etc. Very nice indeed. But having been born in Miami, and lived in Florida all my life, I'm sorta spoiled at the scenery. So glad Solo didn't get a salt water bath. I had to duck when that pelican flew up!;)

Reactions: Dulcimer Drone
wonderful area and nice flying
Its a personal thing, but I could not help but wonder how it would have looked defished

I agree. Or developed. I played a gig at Knight's Key and was very disappointed to find that the owners had sold and condos would replace this piece of Keys history. I guess they call that "progress." : (

great video...nice job.....love the keys as much as San Diego.....beautiful there...

Thank you! Both are beautiful. As a transplanted Californian, I miss going down to Belmont Park. Would love to fly there.

Last edited:
Fantastic job! And I was impressed that you avoided flying on top of the highway, avoided people, etc. Very nice indeed. But having been born in Miami, and lived in Florida all my life, I'm sorta spoiled at the scenery. So glad Solo didn't get a salt water bath. I had to duck when that pelican flew up!;)

Thank you! It took a little while to get comfortable flying over water, but the Solo has eased my fears. That said, I might stick with the OEM props for the very reason that they alert birds. :)

Hey, all -

Recent gigs have taken me to some great flying locations. Here's some footage from the Florida Keys taken on a recent trip. Winds were between 16 and 21 mph and I had the gimbal go limp at least once due to the force (it recovered on the next flight.) I've done all the mods that I want for now, so it's time to start looking at vibrations, lenses, filters and post-production. Any critique/advice is welcome; thanks!

Nice work!

Love the shot towards the end around 4:50.

What are you using to color correct your footage?

Hey, all -

Nice work...takes balls to fly over water...and the Keys are beautiful.

Couple suggestions:

1) It's easy to get rid of the fisheye...via software (GoPro Studio is one easy/free option), or use the "linear" video mode, which gets rid of the fisheye in-camera.

2) Pan and tilt slower...the rule I learned is to pan (or tilt) slower than you ever thought you needed to, and then go slower than that...of course it will depend somewhat on the actual shot, and the effect/mood you are going for.

3) These videos (Tom's Tech Time) are a great help in figuring what kinds of shots have great cinematic effect, and how to get them:

Couple suggestions:

1) It's easy to get rid of the fisheye...via software (GoPro Studio is one easy/free option), or use the "linear" video mode, which gets rid of the fisheye in-camera.

2) Pan and tilt slower...the rule I learned is to pan (or tilt) slower than you ever thought you needed to, and then go slower than that...of course it will depend somewhat on the actual shot, and the effect/mood you are going for.

3) These videos (Tom's Tech Time) are a great help in figuring what kinds of shots have great cinematic effect, and how to get them:

Thanks for the input! Apparently, there's a hack for slowing down the left paddle's response time but I can't find it. Would really like to smooth out the up and down action. Thanks again!

Couple suggestions:

Great video. Just an advise - as suggested by wsalopek: try to pan/tilt and turn slower. There are many tutorials on that and some rules of thumb that are useful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc