Flight Rules for Black Back Seagulls - shot on Solo with GoPro 4

Reaction score
Hi all
I've been filming Black Back Seagulls for a couple of weeks on calm days with mu very trust worthy combo of Solo and Solex. The gulls really seem to have a flight rule: yield left and steer right when on a collision course!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Be very careful. First of all, they don't seem to like it, and if they get too close and can't get out of the way, it would not be good for either of you. Secondly, I don't know where you are flying, but believe me, a Park Ranger, Fish and Game official, or anyone else who watches out for seaside wildlife, may consider what you are doing as harassing them. I know that is not your intent, but it would not be a good thing with the fine involved. I saw a guy get a ticket for flying above a colony of elephant seals at about 100'. As he argued, the Ranger just kept writing. So fly with extreme caution around any wildlife.

Reactions: Diether
Be very careful. First of all, they don't seem to like it, and if they get too close and can't get out of the way, it would not be good for either of you. Secondly, I don't know where you are flying, but believe me, a Park Ranger, Fish and Game official, or anyone else who watches out for seaside wildlife, may consider what you are doing as harassing them. I know that is not your intent, but it would not be a good thing with the fine involved. I saw a guy get a ticket for flying above a colony of elephant seals at about 100'. As he argued, the Ranger just kept writing. So fly with extreme caution around any wildlife.
Thanks for the very valid warning Chuck. I love animals and have absolutely no intention of harming them.
Before I started, I checked and a marine ranger was standing by with his vehicle.
Trying to be a responsible UAV enthusiast, I have my aeronautical radio certificate and also check in by TIBA with local air traffic.

i try my best to keep quite the distance from birds.
i don't believe they appreciate my noisy craft nor do I want to see any of them get sliced into a million pieces by the props

Reactions: Diether
Very nicely done. The flight over the kelp bed is neat visual which gives me some ideas. Video could be dedicated to the Jonathan Livingstone Seagull within us all!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421