I'd like to put a DS-30-1 on my Solo.
In order not to affect the drone flight-time, I would like to connect the led to its own battery.
What do you recon is the best solution to have the best ratio weight/visibility performance?
Thanks!

I'd like to put a DS-30-1 on my Solo.
In order not to affect the drone flight-time, I would like to connect the led to its own battery.
What do you recon is the best solution to have the best ratio weight/visibility performance?
Thanks!
Hey Nick, I wouldn't bother. It draws a very small amount of power, and I have not noticed any difference in flight time with 2 of them. The only problem is the Solo's voltage is higher than the strobes will tolerate (I think up to 12 volts) so you need to drop the voltage so as not to burn out the strobe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick F
Thanks for your answer!
As I am not very keen in these things, is there any chance you can tell/show me how you connected the strobe to the battery?

Thanks for your answer!
As I am not very keen in these things, is there any chance you can tell/show me how you connected the strobe to the battery?
Sure, I had to get a voltage dropper (on Amazon) that dropped the voltage down to a safe level. Inside, I connected the leads to the battery leads, and added a switch, so I can turn the strobe on & off. I'd send you pictures but it's literally on the other side of the world (I have a different Solo body here with me in Australia).

I'm currently working on a Nav/ anti-collision lighting system for Solo.
It has red/green always on Led's up front (below the arms), two strobing white led's on the rear (under the arms) and a red strobing led on top just aft of the battery.

The red & white lights strobe alternately and are 5W high intensity for daytime visibility. The Nav lights are 3W high intensity with the current reduced for maximum daytime visability with minimal current draw.

Has a 3-position switch- off-all- strobes only.

Meets FAA requirements for civil twilight visability.

Let me know if your interested- soon to be available to Solo owners everywhere!

Last edited:
I'm currently working on a Nav/ anti-collision lighting system for Solo.
It has red/green always on Led's up front (below the arms), two strobing white led's on the rear (under the arms) and a red strobing led on top just aft of the battery.

The red & white lights strobe alternately and are 5W high intensity for daytime visibility. The Nav lights are 3W high intensity with the current reduced for maximum daytime visability with minimal current draw.

Has an on-off switch for situations when you don't want them on.

Meets FAA requirements for civil twilight visibility.

Let me know if your interested- soon to be available to Solo owners everywhere!
I'm interested. Do you know what the visibility range is in day/night? Also, will the red strobe be visible from below?

That is something you tested yourself? That's a long way.
I assume the red is visible laterally? I ask because it can be a great way to know which way your drone is facing form a long way off.
Yes. I went out to the desert at night and had somebody drive 3 miles away. Flew Solo up to 300' and strobes were visable.
The system is intended to allow you to determine orientation in daytime at shorter distances and longer distances at night.

The front red/green lights do not blink. The rear white led's do and they alternate with the red led. The red/green Nav lights and the white strobes are attached to the outside of the legs facing down for visability from the ground.

Currently, I have the red flashing led mounted aft of the battery on the Solo shell. This angles it up and is mainly for the benefit of aircraft flying above it. The rear motor arms block it slightly so you need to be behind Solo to see it from the ground. It could be angled down if you wanted better ground visability.

Knowing that the strobing white lights are at the rear and a steady red /green light is at the front should be enough. If you see white to the left and green to the right, you are looking at Solos' right side.
Red to the left and white to the right, Solos left side.

I'll post some pics when I'm farther along.
image.png

Reactions: SARDG
Yes. I went out to the desert at night and had somebody drive 3 miles away. Flew Solo up to 300' and strobes were visable.
The system is intended to allow you to determine orientation in daytime at shorter distances and longer distances at night.

The front red/green lights do not blink. The rear white led's do and they alternate with the red led. The red/green Nav lights and the white strobes are attached to the outside of the legs facing down for visability from the ground.

Currently, I have the red flashing led mounted aft of the battery on the Solo shell. This angles it up and is mainly for the benefit of aircraft flying above it. The rear motor arms block it slightly so you need to be behind Solo to see it from the ground. It could be angled down if you wanted better ground visability.

Knowing that the strobing white lights are at the rear and a steady red /green light is at the front should be enough. If you see white to the left and green to the right, you are looking at Solos' right side.
Red to the left and white to the right, Solos left side.

I'll post some pics when I'm farther along.
View attachment 4704
Sounds great. Looking forward to more news on that.

Here are some pics showing the LED positions using temporary brackets. final brackets will be printed ABS.
Temp 1.jpg Temp 2.jpg Temp 3.jpg

Nice approach for mounting the leds. ABS, still not worried about heat build up?
No. All the LED's are mounted on heat sinks using Arctic Silver thermal compound.

ABS is the most common material used in 3D printing. I've used it before and it holds up well.

The flashing LED's are only on for 50 ms and barely get warm. The steady Nav lights have the current turned down and the prop wash from the blades keep them cool.

I turned the Nav lights on the bench for 10 minutes and they only reached about 130F.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo