First Video! Harrison River, British Columbia

Reaction score
This is my very first practice video. :) No gimbal yet, of course, but I wanted to get some practice flying and also see how stable I could make the shots without it. The winds weren't too strong, which helped, along with Final Cut Pro X stabilization.

Some of this video isn't the smoothest footage I got, but some of the smoothest shots weren't ones I was interested in including in the video. ;-)

Shot over the Harrison River in the beautiful Fraser Valley, Harrison Mills, BC, Canada on July 28, 2015, overlooking Mt. Woodside.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I used the following settings, most of which I've seen recommended for smooth video, especially for a beginner, like me (this is my very first quad, and I have zero RC experience).

3DR SOLO QUADCOPTER:
Performance: Flight: Slow
Performance: Camera Pan: Slow
Advanced Flight Modes: Disabled
Take-off: Automatic (sped up 150% in FCPX)
Landing: Automatic (Return Home)
Cable Cam Shot: 1:14 - 2:05 (sped up 226% in FCPX)
Cable Cam Shot: 2:12 - 2:38 (actual speed)

GoPro HERO 3+ BLACK EDITION:
Video Resolution: 1080
Frames Per Second: 60
Field of View: Medium
NEUTRAL DENSITY FILTER: ND8

Nice video. I am brand new to quad's also. You are a lotter braver than I flying around all those trees. Watch the RTH. If those trees are 50 ft and in the way your Solo will have a nasty crash. Fly safe.

Watch the RTH. If those trees are 50 ft and in the way your Solo will have a nasty crash. Fly safe.

You are so right! I learned the first day that GPS loss = manual control only (except for the altitude hold). Following the advice of a video posted here on the forums, I turned on the advanced controls and set my "A" button to "Manual" fly mode. I've been practicing flying manual in a very large open field with excellent GPS signal, pressing the "A" and flying by hand, and using "Pause" as my fail-safe if needed. When I bring the Solo down below the tops of the trees here, I have my hands on the sticks, ready to take over and fly manual in the event of GPS interruption.

Thanks to the guys on this site I also set A to fly in manual. I have increased the speed settings now I have a few flights under my belt. Tried "fast" and quickly backed it down to medium. This bird can really move. When the speed gets up Pause is great. It's like a brake. Stops Solo really quickly. Letting go the sticks she levels out but takes a while to stop moving. Keep this in mind as you practice. The guys here say Pause will stop an RTH as well. Haven't tried it yet but it is now my favourite button.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo