First Flight w/Gimbal

D

DodgeP

well kinda.......

This bird is on my nerves right now.. Today's flight was a F N disaster. As I hobbled out to the field to put this gimbal to work, I had high hopes and had my shots planned out for a quick 5 minute flight to put together a 1 minute video. Instead I wasted an entire battery on doing nothing but trying to control this damn thing.

Everything was updated over the last couple of days, Bird, App, Controller, GoPro, etc.. Get to the field start everything up and of course the grass is too tall and the gimbal doesn't have enough clearance so I had to launch Solo from the Solo BackPack.

Waited about 2 minutes for 7 Sats and another minute or so to get cleared to fly. Take off, about 12 feet altitude to inspect the bird and test all controls - hit record on the app and although I have the GP set to Video it makes a sound like it's snapping a picture. Go up about 25 feet and controller loses connection, goes up 300 feet and returns home. While landing, signal received and I hit the A button so I can Fly Manual and it doesn't work, lost signal - up 300 RTH. Do this dance about 5 times. I tried to stop the video recording from the app and it didn't stop, it wouldn't stop and you can't stop the video from recording while it's in the gimbal because the stop button is on top of the go pro.

Land, reset everything take off again, gimbal falls limp and app says that I need to update the gopro in order for it to work. YooHoo.. GoPro IS up to date! Land and reset everything again, Gimbal calibrates and seems to be working so I try to setup a Cable Cam. Set Point A go and Set Point B. Run up and down the cable once, run back up the cable and Solo just keeps going, self resets dismisses the smart shot. GoPro is still recording.

This time I take the blades off and do a compass calibration. GoPro is still recording. I put the blades back on, reset everything and I set up another cable cam, ran up the cable and on the way back down Cable cam dismissed itself and the bird just flew in the direction I was moving the right stick in. I give up with this bullshit. I finally took the gopro out of the gimbal and stopped the recording.

well kinda.......

This bird is on my nerves right now.. Today's flight was a F N disaster. As I hobbled out to the field to put this gimbal to work, I had high hopes and had my shots planned out for a quick 5 minute flight to put together a 1 minute video. Instead I wasted an entire battery on doing nothing but trying to control this damn thing.

Everything was updated over the last couple of days, Bird, App, Controller, GoPro, etc.. Get to the field start everything up and of course the grass is too tall and the gimbal doesn't have enough clearance so I had to launch Solo from the Solo BackPack.

Waited about 2 minutes for 7 Sats and another minute or so to get cleared to fly. Take off, about 12 feet altitude to inspect the bird and test all controls - hit record on the app and although I have the GP set to Video it makes a sound like it's snapping a picture. Go up about 25 feet and controller loses connection, goes up 300 feet and returns home. While landing, signal received and I hit the A button so I can Fly Manual and it doesn't work, lost signal - up 300 RTH. Do this dance about 5 times. I tried to stop the video recording from the app and it didn't stop, it wouldn't stop and you can't stop the video from recording while it's in the gimbal because the stop button is on top of the go pro.

Land, reset everything take off again, gimbal falls limp and app says that I need to update the gopro in order for it to work. YooHoo.. GoPro IS up to date! Land and reset everything again, Gimbal calibrates and seems to be working so I try to setup a Cable Cam. Set Point A go and Set Point B. Run up and down the cable once, run back up the cable and Solo just keeps going, self resets dismisses the smart shot. GoPro is still recording.

This time I take the blades off and do a compass calibration. GoPro is still recording. I put the blades back on, reset everything and I set up another cable cam, ran up the cable and on the way back down Cable cam dismissed itself and the bird just flew in the direction I was moving the right stick in. I give up with this bullshit. I finally took the gopro out of the gimbal and stopped the recording.

Damn Dodge, that really sucks and I know it is frustrating as hell. Waiting all that time for the gimbal only to have that happen. Were you using the H4 black? I had problems using the H3+ silver. I have to start recording before I put the camera in the gimbal to get footage. I was told that a fix is coming to be able to record from the app. 3DR's motto should be, " Be Patient". I hope things get up and running correct for you soon!!

Damn Dodge, that really sucks and I know it is frustrating as hell. Waiting all that time for the gimbal only to have that happen. Were you using the H4 black? I had problems using the H3+ silver. I have to start recording before I put the camera in the gimbal to get footage. I was told that a fix is coming to be able to record from the app. 3DR's motto should be, " Be Patient". I hope things get up and running correct for you soon!!

Yes GP4 Black. I ran the WiFi Software Fix and Re-calibrated the sticks last night we'll see what happens. I'm charging my Inspire 1 Batteries as we speak..

Reactions: Engine24blue

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000