FIrst Flight & Broken Propeller (macro pics)

Reaction score
first flight, forgot threaded rod to hold gopro so no FPV footage, only cell phone.

however, this thing is SMOOTH. i've been flying a P1 i got on black friday 2013 and knew it was only a matter of time before upgrading. this is def a worthy upgrade. had issues w/ GPS finishing up so i only got to 13 before finding how to program the "A" and "B" buttons. placed it in manual (A) and acro (B).

(B) turned out to be a bad choice.

acro/acrobatic mode is way sensitive. I bought a WL Toys V262 Cyclone to practice on and at 100% trim this thing will go vertical if you wanted it to. well, trying to fly right on acro caused me to basically do a barrel roll. at 5 feet above the grass. into the ground. completely my fault with such low altitude. need a good 200 feet next time.

no bigs, 3DR is great in providing an extra pair of propellers, and the body is so durable there wasn't a scratch. what i did notice was that the propeller broke one of the blades off - this never happened in any of my DJI P1 flight crashes. Upon closer investigation, i saw that the propellers are really some type of compressed foam core with a smooth plastic coating. I sort of like the similar failure properties of carbon fiber (it breaks vs it deforms) so i know my blades aren't faulty, but i'll def be stocking up on more spares in the future.

what are photo size maximums? seems like they won't let me upload pics that are under 2MB.

first flight, forgot threaded rod to hold gopro so no FPV footage, only cell phone.

however, this thing is SMOOTH. i've been flying a P1 i got on black friday 2013 and knew it was only a matter of time before upgrading. this is def a worthy upgrade. had issues w/ GPS finishing up so i only got to 13 before finding how to program the "A" and "B" buttons. placed it in manual (A) and acro (B).

(B) turned out to be a bad choice.

acro/acrobatic mode is way sensitive. I bought a WL Toys V262 Cyclone to practice on and at 100% trim this thing will go vertical if you wanted it to. well, trying to fly right on acro caused me to basically do a barrel roll. at 5 feet above the grass. into the ground. completely my fault with such low altitude. need a good 200 feet next time.

no bigs, 3DR is great in providing an extra pair of propellers, and the body is so durable there wasn't a scratch. what i did notice was that the propeller broke one of the blades off - this never happened in any of my DJI P1 flight crashes. Upon closer investigation, i saw that the propellers are really some type of compressed foam core with a smooth plastic coating. I sort of like the similar failure properties of carbon fiber (it breaks vs it deforms) so i know my blades aren't faulty, but i'll def be stocking up on more spares in the future.

what are photo size maximums? seems like they won't let me upload pics that are under 2MB.

I think the blades may be designed to break because when I crashed my Solo into my chest at about 5 feet off the ground my solo flipped on its back hit the ground and also broke a blade. No damage to the body, just the blade snapping in half near the center.

I clipped a tree branch and fell from about 5 ft to the ground No physical damage or cosmetic. But now the Solo when it turns on the battery lights up and only back left motor tries to start and the battery lights up then turns off. If anybody has any ideas plz help...ty

try your 2nd battery and see if your motors are fully seated or if they got jarred loose during the crash.

in other news, i crashed mine again. forgot that i set the altitude max to 23ft, flew above my work roof (whcih was 22ft), max altitude signalled and it started to return home. immediately paused but w/o FPV (i forgot my frame housing and had the gopro in its case), i couldn't tell where it was going.

it ended up hitting an AC unit and falling over, enough for the battery to be ejected off the unit. two broken silver propellers, haven't done a post-flight check yet.

again, all user error. hate how lenient i am with this thing despite its value...only open fields for me in the future.

View media item 14

Last edited:
I clipped a tree branch and fell from about 5 ft to the ground No physical damage or cosmetic. But now the Solo when it turns on the battery lights up and only back left motor tries to start and the battery lights up then turns off. If anybody has any ideas plz help...ty
I assume you got this resolved by now, but if not, check out the video for motor pod troubleshooting and repair. Sounds like you burned out a motor pod

watched MythBusters last night.
they had a segment about Drones and the props doing harm if they hit someone.
seems like the carbon fiber ones were the most dangerous ones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela