Failure Rates on Gimbals

Reaction score
Not sure how this works out for 3DR but this reminds of me a lawsuit from 2008.
Microsoft was sued to due excessive failures of their popular XBox 360 calling it the Red Ring of Death.
It seems they were dealing w/ an excessive 15% failure rate, granted their stock was much greater than 3DR's gimbal. Still Microsoft knew of this issue, question is was 3DR aware of this design error and still shipped the gimbals?

If so then I'm thinking there's some trouble brewing, I have yet to get my gimbal and I hope and pray mine is not defective like so many others have already reported.

Reactions: Projeffrey11
Failure Rates on Gimbals to be about 15%
& this is the kicker LOL you don't even have one LOL yet.
If you pissed about not getting your Gimbal, then just say so, most of us haven't received any gimbals yet.
Please read what you typed, & if you still believe your serious , then find real stats on 3DR;s failures rates & post them here so we can start a class action suit.

Also,
I did a quick research & found 3DR saying it's only (2)%
More News about the Solo Gimbal! | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology

Don't mean to be mean, just tired of all the "Type what ever you want" with alternate motives, in your case not having Gimbal to play with yet...

If you pissed about not getting your Gimbal, then just say so, most of us haven't received any gimbals yet.
Please read what you typed, & if you still believe your serious , then find real stats on 3DR;s failures rates & post them here so we can start a class action suit.

Also,

Don't mean to be mean, just tired of all the "Type what ever you want" with alternate motives, in your case not having Gimbal to play with yet...
Pissed off? Naw not at all, frustrated with push backs but who isn't. I've decided to take the 3dr ride so I accept what comes my way.

And I never said the 3dr Gimbal failure was 15%, that was about the failure rate for the xbox 360 thus why I said "they WERE".

Maybe read before you post assuming things

Pissed off? Naw not at all, frustrated with push backs but who isn't. I've decided to take the 3dr ride so I accept what comes my way.

And I never said the 3dr Gimbal failure was 15%, that was about the failure rate for the xbox 360 thus why I said "they WERE".

Maybe read before you post assuming things
Well, just when ever someone makes a statement & casualty puts out # numbers in the same context, this may lead some to think the numbers a comparable statement.
Don't worry, your in good company, FOX news does it all the time. :p

I like you, let's hope our Gimbals are not within the (2)% of failures. Good luck

Well, just when ever someone makes a statement & casualty puts out # numbers in the same context, this may lead some to think the numbers a comparable statement. I like you, let's hope our Gimbals are not within the (2)% of failures. Good luck

You claim to be the arbiter of accuracy then provide a link to a 3DR update that was posted in June which provides a failure rate number (2%) for a specific failure mode that they were addressing *before* final production could commence? You are somehow claiming that number (2%) has any correlation to actual failure rates of the final shipped product? The original post used 15% in reference to XBOX not Solo. Then you lecture the guy about reading before he types?

Yes, Failure rate may be lower then the (2) talked about in that article? or they may have increased?
My point is/was is that you can't compare failure rates of one company Xbox to another Co. 3DR & not expect someone like me not to bring up your wrong to say it that way.
Give it a rest ok!

I'm going to fly my Solo, I suggest you enjoy your weekend...

Enjoy!

The weather in my area nice this weekend! I will test the new flight modes on my dji quads. I just hope the horizon is still level after all the firmware updates. :)

Not sure how this works out for 3DR but this reminds of me a lawsuit from 2008.
Microsoft was sued to due excessive failures of their popular XBox 360 calling it the Red Ring of Death.
It seems they were dealing w/ an excessive 15% failure rate, granted their stock was much greater than 3DR's gimbal. Still Microsoft knew of this issue, question is was 3DR aware of this design error and still shipped the gimbals?

If so then I'm thinking there's some trouble brewing, I have yet to get my gimbal and I hope and pray mine is not defective like so many others have already reported.
The messed up thing about it all is that 3DR blame the delays of the camera gimbal on the claim that they were perfecting it, I know nothing's perfect but damn, all these videos popping up on YouTube about failing gimbals even that Troy guy finally got his and it didn't even work and he use to be all about the Solo. I get mine this upcoming week I hope it works because everyone keeps saying that it's very plastic and pretty much cheap with little Motors, I on the other hand don't care as long as that shit works.

Last edited:

Also,

I would believe that the fail percentage is 2% based on the fact that 96% of people don't have their gimbals lol

Watched Troy's (ATx Rc) videos. Apparently he was having issues with his gimbal. Upon further investigation he found one of the wires, probably the HDMI cable, rubbing against the yaw motor and was causing the gimbal to flop to one side apparently in an effort to correct itself. He relocated the wiring and is now working. That would cause an issue for sure.
It was installation error....not a gimbal problem.

Watched Troy's (ATx Rc) videos. Apparently he was having issues with his gimbal. Upon further investigation he found one of the wires, probably the HDMI cable, rubbing against the yaw motor and was causing the gimbal to flop to one side apparently in an effort to correct itself. He relocated the wiring and is now working. That would cause an issue for sure.
It was installation error....not a gimbal problem.
Wow if that's true you just made my day quite literally, Troy is one of the reasons why I got a Solo he hyped it up more for me than the actual commercials did lol.

Wow if that's true you just made my day quite literally, Troy is one of the reasons why I got a Solo he hyped it up more for me than the actual commercials did lol.
He kinda burned his bridges with the video he did while on the phone with B&H. He removed the video, had made his mind up to return the Solo and turned around and got his gimbal Thursday. He is still highly critical of it but in the last video after he got it working correctly he seemed pretty happy with it.

I am thinking, if I ever get my gimbal, I will put a couple spots of hot glue on that HDMI cable that wraps around on the inside close to the yaw motor, just to keep it in place and causing issues.

He kinda burned his bridges with the video he did while on the phone with B&H. He removed the video, had made his mind up to return the Solo and turned around and got his gimbal Thursday. He is still highly critical of it but in the last video after he got it working correctly he seemed pretty happy with it.
He must feel like a bonehead right now lol, and yeah I don't like all his videos probably even only half of them but I like his fire for the Solo.

He's pretty critical about the gimbal being plastic, too low to the ground, then it was giving him problems. He mentions the fact that in the install manual it mentions installing the leg extenders which he does not have.
Speaking of the extenders, I kinda wonder if that may be why there has been a delay(unannounced) in shipping. They should have known there was not very much clearance between the gimbal and the ground.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea