ERRATIC FLIGHT!!!!

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to the new gps module (due to unfixable magnetic interference error). The calibration of the compass was easy amd no issues, not even any errors. Prior to this i disassembled my bird to paint. I've checked many times to make sure the motors are where they belong. When intook it out on maiden flight, it lifts up and does random direction circles back and forth. I have to forcibly land it by holding the home button down. Any ideas on what it could be? I'm about ready to junk this thing.

LOL. Ya, changing the GPS is not going to do anything for the compass. There are actually two compasses. One is in the right rear leg, and the other is onboard the pixhawk inside the Solo. If the compass in the leg is not properly seated... like facing the wrong way, loose, or damaged... the compass calibration usually fails. It fails because the two compasses vastly disagree with one another.

Since you didn't do anything to fix it by replacing the unrelated GPS, I would say there is still something wrong with the compass in the leg. One thing you can do to confirm is to unplug the leg compass from the board inside the Solo. It will then calibrate using only the internal compass, and probably work ok. Not recommended to continue flying without the second compass for long though.

I agree with P2P. The flight behavior you described is a classic 'toilet bowl' maneuver, and is caused by inaccurate compass input.
If I were to guess I'd say you installed the compass backwards when you reassembled the copter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela