Drone is one hobby that gets boring fast.

Reaction score
When Best Buy started the fire sale on the Solo around Thanksgiving 2016, I jumped in. At first, it's a fantastic feeling seeing the drone hover like it's hung by an invisible rope in the air, selfies, follow me, and then the wide angle scenic videos by gopro 4S and 4B then everything got boring. The boredom is also experienced watching drone videos posted by other people on youtube. I could only watch at most half minute of drone video on youtube.
I bought 5 solos, a dozen gimbals, a dozen batteries, a bunch of props, 3 backpacks, made quite some awesome mods on two solos. Three solos are still NIB. And there's not much else to do to see. My Solos have been idling, collecting dust in the garage.
Meanwhile, I'm back strumming my twenty guitars, acoustic and electric.

you jumped in for the wrong reasons then (it was cheap)
what did you expect from the videos when people not passionate about it jumped in because it was a cheap way to play with the cool kids, only to find out owning a drone is but one small tiny piece of the big puzzle of making compelling video
You are proving a point I have been making, the drone fad is dying off. And slowly people will sell them and those of us who understand the role of a drone as part of a process will be left

you jumped in for the wrong reasons then (it was cheap)
what did you expect from the videos when people not passionate about it jumped in because it was a cheap way to play with the cool kids, only to find out owning a drone is but one small tiny piece of the big puzzle of making compelling video
You are proving a point I have been making, the drone fad is dying off. And slowly people will sell them and those of us who understand the role of a drone as part of a process will be left
The less people in the air the better!

When Best Buy started the fire sale on the Solo around Thanksgiving 2016, I jumped in. At first, it's a fantastic feeling seeing the drone hover like it's hung by an invisible rope in the air, selfies, follow me, and then the wide angle scenic videos by gopro 4S and 4B then everything got boring. The boredom is also experienced watching drone videos posted by other people on youtube. I could only watch at most half minute of drone video on youtube.
I bought 5 solos, a dozen gimbals, a dozen batteries, a bunch of props, 3 backpacks, made quite some awesome mods on two solos. Three solos are still NIB. And there's not much else to do to see. My Solos have been idling, collecting dust in the garage.

Let me know when you're ready to sell. [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most "true artists" can appreciate various art forms be they Music, Performing Arts or Visual Arts (Paintings, Sculptures, Photos, Videos, etc.) I personally got bored with Piano lessons after several years, but I can still appreciate the art form.

I'm sure there will be people out there who will think your Guitar playing sucks as well?

Oh yeah... I'm going to see Joe Bonamassa in a few weeks. A real guitar virtuoso.

Reactions: Bilge
When your ready to sell a couple batteries let me know.

Also I agree with pyrate, I just got in but only because it finally hit a limit that the wife would let me in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: speatuk
I bought 5 solos, a dozen gimbals, a dozen batteries, a bunch of props, 3 backpacks, made quite some awesome mods on two solos. Meanwhile, I'm back strumming my twenty guitars, acoustic and electric.

Look on the bright side, you might be bored with your quintuple Solos, but it was money well spent if it enabled you to not so subtly brag on the internet about your disposable income, which, for some people, is often the whole point.

Just goes to prove that money doesn't fill an empty hole.

I have been doing this stuff for about 30 years. My passion for it has only grown.

I'm totally with you!
I might be a bit of a freak. I'll sometimes just turn on Apple TV (2) and go to the screensaver just to see some really awesome aerial videos! Never gets old for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've wanted a drone for years and was never able to afford it. Now I'm starving to fly it whenever I can. And even though you say you ran out of things to see, IMPOSSIBLE! see them raw and play with editing. I can't wait to fly my bird again.

I've been resisting drones for a good while. Then, I got a super cheap toy drone for Christmas, and the was enough to put me over the edge. But still, I wan't sure if I would develop a long term passion for the aerial video thing, so since I already had a GoPro, the pricing of the Solo was just perfect to see if this endeavor would grow without dropping a lot of coin.

So far, I'm still in the learning to fly thing, and have yet to shoot any meaningful video. I'm still amazed by the technology, and am hopeful that I can produce some decent video one day.

D

If you are not sure you want a drone, just buy a $50 toy and educate yourself. If you like it and want something more serious, then the Solo is waiting for you! (At least for now)

Reactions: Shlazor
Why would he buy 5 Solo's....must have had cash to burn......he might be working for Amazon one day making drone deleveries for guitar strings

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I got a chuckle out of this. 5 solos I could almost rationalize at less than $300 each for spare parts alone. But 12 gimbals and 12 batteries? Goodness gracious that sounds like getting carried away when you are not sure what you are getting into or whether you will enjoy it. I tip toed in but love the hobby for many reasons including it's outdoors, it's fun, exhilarating challenge to fly in various conditions and locations, and there is plenty of science and technology to sink your teeth into. Now you throw in aerial photography and its technical and artistic challenges and you have a humdinger of a hobby as far as I am concerned.

Restating what others have said.

5 quads? Bit off a bit much before you could chew ehh?

Try liquidating some of your inventory and taking a trip to a tropical location, or a snow covered location and get some footage of destinations that some people only dream of. Learn to edit and make compelling videos, upload them and see if they can get traction online.

What did you think you were going to get out of this hobby?

I've been into RC since I was a kid (planes, gliders, cars, you name it) and the Solo is just another piece in the puzzle that is my RC collection.

If you want a more exhilarating flight experience, go drop some coin on a FPV race quad. A fully built 5" Alien or QAV-X, fly that for a while and tell me you are bored. Check out youtube and search for Rotor Riot, Mr. Steele, Charpu, Finalglideaus, Skitzo, or the DRL to get a feel for what quad racing is like. If 70+ MPH first person view racing doesn't get you excited, you need to take up needlepoint.

Reactions: Wetstone
Nikono seems to be an odd bird. He posted on 2/1/2017 complaining about the cost ($1055) which included only a single solo, single backpack, three batteries, extra gimbal, gopro camer and other miscelanous items. now he is claiming boredom with "5 solos, a dozen gimbals, a dozen batteries, a bunch of props, 3 backpacks, made quite some awesome mods on two solos." just 10 days later.

Seems to not make a lot of sense to whine about the cost and then buy 4 additional solos and 2 additional backpacks along with battery and gimbal purchases. Also, one of the two solos with the "awesome mods" was purchase and modded in those 10 days.

Sort of makes you wonder about the veracity of this comment from Nikono.

Poor Baby

Reactions: Ed.it.Ed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986