Does This Look Shaky To You?

Reaction score
A little backstory: got my Solo in December and have installed the mRo GPS and itelite DBS range extender. Flew in mostly calm winds (5-8 mph) the first few weeks, but it's been near-constant 10-25 mph ever since. My first videos seem very silky while recent ones, to me, appear to be a little shaky. I'll admit forgetting to remove the gimbal "guardian" a few times and have had some limp gimbal episodes while flying in gusty conditions. Every now and again, I'll hear some whining from the gimbal and it will fail to initialize, but a power-down and power-up always brings it back.

To me, it seems like the Solo drifts and "searches" a bit more than it did when I first got it, but the winds haven't been merciful since December, so it's hard to judge. I have not yet balanced the props or motors - still evaluating my footage as I learn the machine. An ND filter and and a 3.97 mm Peau lens are on the acquisitions list. Also, zero problems with this bird; no crashes, fly-aways or bizarre behavior. Occasional loss of connection, but RTH always kicks in.

This morning was relatively calm, wind-wise, about 8 - 10 mph. Feeling brave, I decided to fly between a row of trees (one of which temporarily ate my Syma X8C in December prior to getting the Solo.) Eagle Nest Park is located in Orlando and it's where I do most of my practice flying, so the occasional wifi interference is assumed and, of course, there are the trees, but no power lines. Did a compass calibration and admit that my launch point may not have been perfectly flat, but the park is very wavy and it's difficult to find an absolutely level spot.

That all said, I'm generally happy with this footage but am looking for some input. Does it seem shaky to you? Do the motors sound like they're alright? Is the gimbal handling things well? I've watched quite a few videos from folks here with various vibration issues in different conditions. Just wondering if I have anything to be concerned about. Thanks for your time!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Braving the trees would be flying down the lane at a much lower altitude....thru the trees....

Anyway, A little shaky at very beginning but hardly noticeable in video.......

like Solo says after calibration...........GO FLY

Reactions: Dulcimer Drone
Go the balancing route. It looks like that is probably most of your problem.

I ordered the balancer and 3DR rod last night, should be arriving on Thursday. Out of curiosity, are you in the tape or sanding camp? Thanks for your response!

Braving the trees would be flying down the lane at a much lower altitude....thru the trees....

Anyway, A little shaky at very beginning but hardly noticeable in video.......

like Solo says after calibration...........GO FLY

Baby steps; I'll get there. ;) Thanks!

Really, the only things I saw shaking were the trees. It's hard to tell because of that.

Filming an immovable object might work better.

I use clear packing tape for balancing. No, it doesn't come off by itself. ;)

Really, the only things I saw shaking were the trees. It's hard to tell because of that.

Filming an immovable object might work better.

I use clear packing tape for balancing. No, it doesn't come off by itself. ;)

For some reason, the first 11 seconds of the video is fuzzy, this is raw from the GoPro Hero4 Black and the original video file isn't like that. Some kind of YouTube artifact.

Do you balance the hubs with tape as well? I've watched most of the videos in the forums and read the posts; so many different ways to approach this and I'm still gathering info. Probably the most confusing thing for me with the Solo so far. Thanks for your reply!

For some reason, the first 11 seconds of the video is fuzzy, this is raw from the GoPro Hero4 Black and the original video file isn't like that. Some kind of YouTube artifact.

Do you balance the hubs with tape as well? I've watched most of the videos in the forums and read the posts; so many different ways to approach this and I'm still gathering info. Probably the most confusing thing for me with the Solo so far. Thanks for your reply!
YouTube does some weird things to video.

I use hot melt glue to balance the hubs. I find the light side and add a small blob. Recheck for balance and add more if needed. Works great!

For me the relish 3d hdmi cord removed all my micro-vibrations. Adding earplugs into the rubber vibration isolators also helped. I did both steps seperately and my video wasnt perfectly clean until the earplugs. Just bought a new gimbal for 50 bucks but also has similar micro-vibrations, hoping a quick relish 3d purchase will solve that.
I dont know what they were thinking with that thick hdmi cable.
If i was an engineer who designed it i would be able to sleep well at night knowing this great quad was so ruined by a hdmi cable!

For me the relish 3d hdmi cord removed all my micro-vibrations. Adding earplugs into the rubber vibration isolators also helped. I did both steps seperately and my video wasnt perfectly clean until the earplugs. Just bought a new gimbal for 50 bucks but also has similar micro-vibrations, hoping a quick relish 3d purchase will solve that.
If i was an engineer who designed it i would be able to sleep well at night knowing this great quad was so ruined by a hdmi cable!
Where did you buy your ear plugs that fit the gimbal?

Went to CVS and bought those foam squishy earplugs. Old gimbal de-jello-ing trick i saw on rcgroups years ago

Nice job. Next video fly lower to the road and faster :) I know how you feel. Trees scare the devil out of me

I'll feel better about that when I get my props balanced and the wind calms down around here. Haven't hit a tree yet, but I do like to get up close for perspective. :)

Have you had any issues with the Relish 3D cable? I've got one on order, but have been reading that video feeds have been failing; some feel that the 180° twist the manufacturer suggests during install may break a wire. Prepared to give it, and the earplugs, a go.

Yes it does...but it's not bad...check mine (I've done zero mods so far)...and also, check the difference Prodrenalin 2 makes:

https://goo.gl/photos/3qXzRsxAzm2wU4QR6

Thanks for the tip on ProDrenalin V2 - I see they do have a Mac version. Is this a stand alone suite or are there plug-ins that can be used with Final Cut Pro X? I couldn't seem to find that info on their page.

So, I balanced the props/hubs and went flying in my local park. Wind was the calmest it's been for a while in Orlando, but I do think the balancing made a difference, to a point. After a few flights, I noticed that the flashing tape had spun clear off of the hubs. I'm rebalancing them now with fingernail polish. The packing tape hasn't budged. ;)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nice job. Next video fly lower to the road and faster :) I know how you feel. Trees scare the devil out of me

I made that pass again in this video, lower and faster. Felt a lot better about it with a stable bird. :)

Reactions: Acroduster
The 180 degree twist doesn't look perfect, even with perfect installation the copter will fold the middle of a bend into a crease. I had problems with video feed in the beginnig, dropped a bit of glue where the hdmi connects to the solo and havent had any feed problems since. I prefer it to heat forming the stock cable and cutting away at the inside.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421