Do You Believe This!

No, please don't fly drones above 400 ft., or withing 5 miles of an airport, or over crowds of people! The discussion was about me enter three news post withing 15 minutes and the FAA proposed excessive fines, in comparison to a first offense DUI driver.
The gentleman call me an alarmist, I took offense to the statement.

I have no problem with rules, individuals and societies need them in order to survive.

@User Name, What is your point, to be right! I didn't ask for your opinion! I was posting information, go fire at the media maybe there interest in your opinion!

and the FAA proposed excessive fines, in comparison to a first offense DUI driver

I've tried to explain this several times now. All we know are the fines. We do NOT know what specific offense those fines are for, so it is impossible to draw any comparisons to other offenses, such as DUIs.

A $27,000 fine for overflying someone's yard? Sure, that would be absurdly excessive. A $27,000 fine for flying into the path of an oncoming airliner or forcing water bombers to break off their battle of a forest fire? I'd be perfectly fine with that. But again, we simply have no information about what those fines are for, so drawing a conclusion and raising alarm is ill placed.

@User Name, What is your point, to be right! I didn't ask for your opinion! I was posting information, go fire at the media maybe there interest in your opinion!

My point is to attempt to bring logic and reason into the conversation, and to urge all involved (you included) to voice your concern where it will stand the most chance of helping our cause - Regulations.gov

And with this, I'll end my participation in this thread since it seems highly unlikely to reach any further understanding.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I think it highlights a deeper issue in society - a total lack of basic common sense. The same society that has produced people who will buy a complex, 2-3lb flying contraption and with zero experience or training, will go out and fly it through crowded city streets, in front of airliners on approach, and into sports stadiums, has also produced politicians who think up fines and punishments before even determining the crimes.

Perhaps our education system needs to literally add "common sense" to the curriculum. Unfortunately, it would take an entire generation for it's benefits to become apparent. What's apparent right now is that the lack of common sense, on all sides, is seriously impacting society.
Agreed. and it seems to get worse every day.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is a seagull hitting a small plane's window.
Googling the weight of a seagull, I'm told the average weight is 3.8 lbs.
The same weight as a Solo, an ounce or so heavier than a Phantom 3, and an ounce lighter than a Yuneec Q500. A DJI Inspire weighs in at 6.5 lbs with a battery. There are many larger and heavier drones flying the skies as well. I believe my buddy's new Lockheed Martin drone (for mapping) weighs about 12 lbs.

Don't know of any incidents where a drone has hit a plane yet.
You think the pilot reported it as a white drone....one of those Chinese Phantoms? :D

My point is to attempt to bring logic and reason into the conversation, and to urge all involved (you included) to voice your concern where it will stand the most chance of helping our cause - Regulations.gov

And with this, I'll end my participation in this thread since it seems highly unlikely to reach any further understanding.
The AMA needs some good lobbyist up there. Doesn't look like they have much.
Lobbying Spending Database-Academy of Model Aeronautics, 2015 | OpenSecrets

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000