Display Cases for the Solo

are they ?? be nice to have in the workshop when clients drop in !!

These look like the interactive kiosks that they have said will be in brick and morter stores like Best Buy to allow people to check out the app and play with the simulator.

i will believe it when i see it at BestBuy

Just hope I don't hear about these lovely cases in Best Buy before I take possession of my Solo which I pre ordered the 1st of May

Just hope I don't hear about these lovely cases in Best Buy before I take possession of my Solo which I pre ordered the 1st of May
Hi Ken. I also ordered my Solo in May. They could not give me any timeline whatsoever about a delivery date. I went to Best Buy to check out tablets, and to my surprise they had a display case just like the one pictured, with 1 Solo left on the shelf for sale. I bought it, and cancelled my pre-order. They refunded my money, and now I am flying instead of waiting. I am not rubbing it in. I just want to say, if you do find one at Best Buy, go ahead and nab it. You will not regret it. Good luck...

Reactions: Marc
Hi Ken. I also ordered my Solo in May. They could not give me any timeline whatsoever about a delivery date. I went to Best Buy to check out tablets, and to my surprise they had a display case just like the one pictured, with 1 Solo left on the shelf for sale. I bought it, and cancelled my pre-order. They refunded my money, and now I am flying instead of waiting. I am not rubbing it in. I just want to say, if you do find one at Best Buy, go ahead and nab it. You will not regret it. Good luck...
Yea, I decided to cancell my order too...partly because of the continuous run around I got for the past two months form customer service, but also decided to just wait until all the bugs are worked out. I'm seeing more and more issues everyday on various sites about problems with app etc. nothing major, I'm sure by the fall after gimbals out for a couple months 3DR will have had an opportunity to fix all the little stuff.. Still have my very reliable P2 to keep me going. AIR CAM 1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsC5NRn3QQb2Pm5D2bwiBrA

Yea, I decided to cancell my order too...partly because of the continuous run around I got for the past two months form customer service, but also decided to just wait until all the bugs are worked out. I'm seeing more and more issues everyday on various sites about problems with app etc. nothing major, I'm sure by the fall after gimbals out for a couple months 3DR will have had an opportunity to fix all the little stuff.. Still have my very reliable P2 to keep me going. AIR CAM 1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsC5NRn3QQb2Pm5D2bwiBrA
Well, I decided to sell my P2 in order to finance the Solo, so I was real glad to get the one at Best Buy. So far, I am real happy with it. I still have to explore all the features it has, but up to now it does all that they claim it would. I can't wait to get the gimbal for all the GoPro features. My case is to be delivered tomorrow, so that is a big plus. I figure by the time the gimbal gets here, I will have it set up just the way I want.

i will believe it when i see it at BestBuy

The displays are already in the Bestbuy stores in San Jose, Ca. Didn't have time to stop and see what the display allowed you to do, but did see the Solo under glass and the controller mounted outside for show and tell. Saw the display in two local BestBuys.

As for delivery on my Solo, I pre-ordered from Bestbuy on May 21 and received it on June 18, in San Jose. It didn't arrive with the free extra battery in their ad so I called customer service and they shipped out the spare battery the following week. They ask for a credit card to enter the order - at zero cost. Received the free battery on June 24. Verified that my card wasn't charged so all is good. Just waiting on the Gimbal, another battery, and two sets of Props I ordered directly from 3DR.

I got an email from 3dr saying my gimbal would ship between June 22 and July 2. However, I saw on the news page of their website that they expect to start production/shipping on the Gimbal towards end of July after some final testing.

http://3drobotics.com/news-solo-gimbal/

Last edited:
The displays are already in the Bestbuy stores in San Jose, Ca. Didn't have time to stop and see what the display allowed you to do, but did see the Solo under glass and the controller mounted outside for show and tell. Saw the display in two local BestBuys.

As for delivery on my Solo, I pre-ordered from Bestbuy on May 21 and received it on June 18, in San Jose. It didn't arrive with the free extra battery in their ad so I called customer service and they shipped the spare out the spare battery following week. They ask for a credit card to enter the order - at zero cost. Received the free battery on June 24. Verified that my card wasn't charged so all is good. Just waiting on the Gimbal, another battery, and two sets of Props I ordered directly from 3DR.

I got an email from 3dr saying my gimbal would ship between June 22 and July 2. However, I saw on the news page of their website that they expect to start production/shipping on the Gimbal towards end of July after some final testing.

http://3drobotics.com/news-solo-gimbal/
Hey, Marc. It seems like you get a different gimbal ship date each time you talk to someone. I figure that since I have to wait for whenever it is shipped, I can at least explore what the Solo can do in the meantime. I enjoy the flying as much as I do the filming.

Hey, Marc. It seems like you get a different gimbal ship date each time you talk to someone. I figure that since I have to wait for whenever it is shipped, I can at least explore what the Solo can do in the meantime. I enjoy the flying as much as I do the filming.

Hi Chuck I know what you mean. It's a blast to fly even without the gimbal. However....I got a notification email from 3DR today that my gimbal order shipped along with a UPS tracking number. The tracking shows it shipped from China yesterday and it departed Ontario, Calif. this morning at 4:14 am. Delivery is scheduled by end of day Monday.

I'll post an update when it arrives.

Last edited:
Hi Chuck I know what you mean. It's a blast to fly even without the gimbal. However....I got a notification email from 3DR today that my gimbal order shipped along with a UPS tracking number. The tracking shows it shipped from China yesterday and it departed Ontario, Calif. this morning at 4:14 am. Delivery is scheduled by end of day Monday.

I'll post an update when it arrives.
Lucky you. Let us know when you receive it and how it was to install, as well as how it is working. I hope it all goes smooth for you.....Happy Flying

Just checked tracking and it's still out on the truck for delivery. Hopefully it is the gimbal and not just the battery I ordered along with it.

Just checked tracking and it's still out on the truck for delivery. Hopefully it is the gimbal and not just the battery I ordered along with it.
Well, whether it is the gimbal or battery, it is one more thing you can cross off the list. I am waiting to order the gimbal. I want to become thoroughly familiar with everything first. I am not in a big hurry. I have had a couple of hiccups, but 3DR helped me through them, and I am enjoying flying even with the rigid GoPro mount.

Well, whether it is the gimbal or battery, it is one more thing you can cross off the list. I am waiting to order the gimbal. I want to become thoroughly familiar with everything first. I am not in a big hurry. I have had a couple of hiccups, but 3DR helped me through them, and I am enjoying flying even with the rigid GoPro mount.

I have a wedding coming up on the 11th in Tahoe that I wanted to get video/aerial photos of. Perfect scenery, beach front ceremony, no gimbal.

The only reservation I have about using it for the wedding is a video I saw of a lady doing a cable cam demo then the Solo taking off and running into a catering truck just missing a few onlookers.

I'd hate for that to happen in the middle of a crowded ceremony.

I have a wedding coming up on the 11th in Tahoe that I wanted to get video/aerial photos of. Perfect scenery, beach front ceremony, no gimbal.

The only reservation I have about using it for the wedding is a video I saw of a lady doing a cable cam demo then the Solo taking off and running into a catering truck just missing a few onlookers.

I'd hate for that to happen in the middle of a crowded ceremony.
That was her own doing. She was hovering nose in and did not reverse the sticks in her head. A common mistake of inexperienced pilots. Fortunately, her logs went to 3DR and this was the result..:

At 3DR we try to learn something from every flight—the good, the bad and the ugly—which is exactly why we made it quick and easy to submit your flight logs through the Solo app. We got our hands on the logs from this flight as soon as we could and turned our flight analysis machines on the demo. Here’s what we learned: 1. We’re all human. The fight logs show that the crash was unambiguously a result of pilot error. There’s lots of data below for those of you who love a good flight log.2. Flying nose-in is tricky. Before the crash, Solo was executing “Selfie,” one of its automatic Smart Shots. In Selfie, Solo faces the pilot. This is called flying “nose in” and is the mirror-image orientation of typical flight. As a result, the stick controls become inverted: Your left is Solo’s right. (Exactly the same as “stage left” being the audience’s right.) When the Selfie was completed, the pilot appropriately put Solo back into “Fly” mode to regain manual control. Likely in an attempt to get a little farther away from the taco truck, the pilot applied a small amount of “right stick” (figure 1 in the log image below), but since Solo was “nose in” it simply went to its right instead of the pilot's right. Seeing Solo go what appeared to be the wrong way, the pilot applied “full right stick” to try and correct. Unfortunately Solo did exactly that and flew “right” into the taco truck. If you’re a beginner pilot, it’s always a good idea to fly Solo “tail in” as much as possible—which is exactly what Smart Shots allow you to do. So in general, right after a Selfie it’s a good idea to rotate the copter back around until the rear of the copter is facing you, and you and Solo are looking the same way.

That was her own doing. She was hovering nose in and did not reverse the sticks in her head. A common mistake of inexperienced pilots. Fortunately, her logs went to 3DR and this was the result..:

At 3DR we try to learn something from every flight—the good, the bad and the ugly—which is exactly why we made it quick and easy to submit your flight logs through the Solo app. We got our hands on the logs from this flight as soon as we could and turned our flight analysis machines on the demo. Here’s what we learned: 1. We’re all human. The fight logs show that the crash was unambiguously a result of pilot error. There’s lots of data below for those of you who love a good flight log.2. Flying nose-in is tricky. Before the crash, Solo was executing “Selfie,” one of its automatic Smart Shots. In Selfie, Solo faces the pilot. This is called flying “nose in” and is the mirror-image orientation of typical flight. As a result, the stick controls become inverted: Your left is Solo’s right. (Exactly the same as “stage left” being the audience’s right.) When the Selfie was completed, the pilot appropriately put Solo back into “Fly” mode to regain manual control. Likely in an attempt to get a little farther away from the taco truck, the pilot applied a small amount of “right stick” (figure 1 in the log image below), but since Solo was “nose in” it simply went to its right instead of the pilot's right. Seeing Solo go what appeared to be the wrong way, the pilot applied “full right stick” to try and correct. Unfortunately Solo did exactly that and flew “right” into the taco truck. If you’re a beginner pilot, it’s always a good idea to fly Solo “tail in” as much as possible—which is exactly what Smart Shots allow you to do. So in general, right after a Selfie it’s a good idea to rotate the copter back around until the rear of the copter is facing you, and you and Solo are looking the same way.

Good to know. Thanks for sharing this Jubalr.

Here's a Best Buy display pic from this afternoon. Have a few more but keep getting a "File too large error." The boxes hanging under the controller are Solo propellers.

I can see why you are anxious for the gimbal to arrive. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Attachments

• IMG_8769.JPG
    IMG_8769.JPG
    980.2 KB · Views: 10

Good to know. Thanks for sharing this Jubalr.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela