DBSMODs antenna testing... 2.5miles so far!

Yeah that was getting to be more info than I wanted to give out... it was first come first served tho... I was in on this before the preorders went up.
Speaking of first come first serve.... DBS, will you let us know if and when there's a list for the panel antenna you're working on. I absolutely want one as soon as it's on the market. Or sooner ;)

Reactions: Soulobo
Hopefully, if it is like the rest of their products, it will be user defined in advanced settings. But doing so may be at the expense of the warranty..

I haven't played with the Solo yet however I know that the Phantom 2 in GPS mode is in the low 30's, kick it out into ATTI mode and I was able to nearly 56mph. Just make sure if you are going fast to watch your altitude, at that speed you'll be losing altitude.

Here is the correct mission:
http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopter-phantom-2-vision--todd-riches-IukOzRes/

The 2323ft was in that mission was where I lost control signal with the default P2 controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you trying to show in the link? That mission max speed is less than 40 mph?

You must have a better line with them. The fastest response I have got Pre and post sales is 4 days!!

Well good info but not really what I wanted to hear. I really don't want to fly without GPS to get 55mph. I need 55 mph to book back home from distance where GPS is something needed.

I don't know how the Solo with handle 55, watch your altitude. There is a point where your forward speed exceeds the climb rate and the copter will lose altitude.
To combat the altitude loss 3dr can program into the controller that if your full throttle and descending to slow down the forward momentum until the altitude is maintained.

Going fast at low altitude is a blast however!

Will keep this in mind. Wish it would fly 55 in normal mode and not manual though.

Very interesting dialogue gentlement. I'll be following this thread very closely. What I haven't been able to find out for sure........what is the maximum altitude the Solo will reach and still maintain good video feed?

Altitude? Video feed will be good much higher than one can safely fly.

DBS,
Why can you get so much farther with P3 over Solo? Any idea or opinions? Given their both 2.4 Ghz?

Bandwidth...

The Solo is using wifi... considerably less bandwidth and I think their on board module has less power than the P3.

P3 is using 2.4gHz digital video transmission... with a powerful transmitter on board the bird... and 4 antennas in the legs.

Yea I saw that. Will just wait for DBS to have it available on his site.

Have to say I like the flat panel design much better than my circular antennas I have hanging off my Phantom.

I agree that it looks sharp. Those controllers are an incredible collection of technologies.

Bandwidth...

The Solo is using wifi... considerably less bandwidth and I think their on board module has less power than the P3.

P3 is using 2.4gHz digital video transmission... with a powerful transmitter on board the bird... and 4 antennas in the legs.

Neither the solo or the p3 use WiFi for the communication link from the controller to the quad. The range difference is dependent on a bunch of factors but most likely that lightbridge is higher power.

I'm curious why range is such a big deal, unless you're using this for agriculture study, a robust mile should be sufficient for pretty much any safe flying. Please, if you're in the US, don't be flying above 1000 ft AGL. I develop Traffic Collision Avoidance Systems (TCAS) for commercial aircraft and you would not believe how crowded the airspace is.

Some of use like to cruise distance. Under 400 AGL is fine but I have places I fly safely that is 2 miles. Course that may end with government regulations.

Some of use like to cruise distance. Under 400 AGL is fine but I have places I fly safely that is 2 miles. Course that may end with government regulations.

Is this over private land? Just curious how you determine its safe (not trying to start a fight). Whenever I think about how there is only one line of computer code keeping the quad in the air, I have a hard time flying BLOS and wouldn't even think of flying over people not involved in the flight operation.

Private and government land. If the one line of code fails you are talking about then having LOS really doesn't matter as is going down. Seeing it go down doesn't make it safer. I have a much better chance of not hitting something flying over fields and timber than another pilot has flying visual over his neighborhood on 50' lots.

Reactions: AmosMoses
Private and government land. If the one line of code fails you are talking about then having LOS really doesn't matter as is going down. Seeing it go down doesn't make it safer. I have a much better chance of not hitting something flying over fields and timber than another pilot has flying visual over his neighborhood on 50' lots.

OK, that makes sense. Since stabilize mode relies on the least number of systems to be functional, LOS flying can be safer when the GPS or something else gives out. Also, I fly LOS mainly to make sure that I'm not overflying someone I shouldn't be.

Not to mention I personally seem to make less mistakes cruising around at 200' than I do around my yard. LOL.

Course I did fly my Phantom into a tree today on a mission a mile and half away from home. Pilot error setting up the mission. Doh !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela