Crashed and bent

Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Got my gimbal yesterday, 45 min later crashed and bent upper and lower parts of gimbal beyond repair.
Less then 30 ft away from me, solo says lost connection. Had it hovering facing me about 10 ft up and it said returning to home. The maple tree was 15 ft from solo and it went for the tree at a sharp right angle. Twice it did this as I held down on stick and pressing fly sa well. When it was over the pavement ate my gimbal and GoPro.
I put a ticket in hopeing they can tell me what went wrong.

View attachment 1257 View attachment 1258 View attachment 1259 Got my gimbal yesterday, 45 min later crashed and bent upper and lower parts of gimbal beyond repair.
Less then 30 ft away from me, solo says lost connection. Had it hovering facing me about 10 ft up and it said returning to home. The maple tree was 15 ft from solo and it went for the tree at a sharp right angle. Twice it did this as I held down on stick and pressing fly sa well. When it was over the pavement ate my gimbal and GoPro.
I put a ticket in hopeing they can tell me what went wrong.

Wow @hillbilly07 ..so sorry to here about your Crash!! It looks like your Solo hit pretty hard!! And it looks like a pretty expensive crash!!
Did your actual solo take any damage also ?
Hopefully 3Dr will be able to find the cause of your crash with the ticket you sent and hope that they replace at no charge all your Damage parts!
I'm just wondering here..Did you do a Level and compass calibration after installing your gimbal ?

Wow @hillbilly07 ..so sorry to here about your Crash!! It looks like your Solo hit pretty hard!! And it looks like a pretty expensive crash!!
Did your actual solo take any damage also ?
Hopefully 3Dr will be able to find the cause of your crash with the ticket you sent and hope that they replace at no charge all your Damage parts!
I'm just wondering here..Did you do a Level and compass calibration after installing your gimbal ?

Solo had some scratches, broke two places but after removing gimbal and replacing all the blades it flew fine with no issues.
I did a compass and level cal several days before in same location after freshly charging batteries.

Post the log here when you can so we can try and help.

OK, here are the flight logs.
I received a reply from solo tech Ruben, he said no hardware problem.
He further said, crash was due to flying in residential area with multiple WiFi signals.
He said, this ultimately led to solo losing connection with controller, solo going into return home mode.
And that's where the maple tree came into play. He said 3DR normally doesn't cover this type of incident because this could have been avoided if I flew in an open area away from trees/houses/Multiple WiFi signals. He ask that I send him picutres and copy of receipt for solo and he will see if he can help.
Gopro works stand-alone but no video downlink when connected to solo/fixed gimbal hdmi cable. Mini HDMI plug on gopro was damaged in the crash as well so I hope the video downlink problem ends there and not in solo itself.
I guess I will order another Gimbal, and purchase another Gopro Hero4 Black and mark all this down as " Shit Happens".

Attachments

• Solo Log - Sep 23, 2015.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
Even in a congested area, if their system can't maintain a connection from 30 feet away, it really makes one question the type of wireless connection they chose. My Solo is out for delivery today, but these types of incidents have me seriously considering the 30 day refund policy.

If the loss of connection was considered acceptable, did they have an explanation for why the RTH presumably failed? You say the Solo took off to the right. Are we correct in assuming you started with a GPS fix and the tree was not between the Solo and the home position?

Even in a congested area, if their system can't maintain a connection from 30 feet away, it really makes one question the type of wireless connection they chose. My Solo is out for delivery today, but these types of incidents have me seriously considering the 30 day refund policy.

If the loss of connection was considered acceptable, did they have an explanation for why the RTH presumably failed? You say the Solo took off to the right. Are we correct in assuming you started with a GPS fix and the tree was not between the Solo and the home position?
Solo was line of sight 30 ft from me aiming camera at me. A note 3DR tech Rueben just emailed 15 min ago, they are replacing gimbal and GoPro black. I need to send them receipt for both. Now that is the best customer service yet.

Reactions: jmeyer7526
Solo was line of sight 30 ft from me aiming camera at me. A note 3DR tech Rueben just emailed 15 min ago, they are replacing gimbal and GoPro black. I need to send them receipt for both. Now that is the best customer service yet.

No doubt the customer service is commendable. I'm just a little leery that they initially determined there was no hardware problem because it was being operated in a congested area, not acknowledging the failure of the RTH procedure.

Reactions: Projeffrey11

Now that's awesome to hear @hillbilly07 that there gonna replace your GoPro and Gimbal...!!!!! That's one of many reason why i choose to Fly 3DR..:)

Fly Smart
Fly Safe
Fly 3DR

No doubt the customer service is commendable. I'm just a little leery that they initially determined there was no hardware problem because it was being operated in a congested area, not acknowledging the failure of the RTH procedure.
Solo said lost signal, then it went up and right very fast. I tried not to panic and pull down and pressed fly but with lost signal it continued to go up an right.

Wow, you are lucky. I have had the opposite experience with tech. I was attempting a Selfie and pressed the "Play/Pause" button to cut it short. My Solo did not respond. It eventually hovered, but then began to drift into telephone lines. Subsequently, it crashed. Battery is cracked and won't turn on. Gimbal goes side to side rapidly when turned on. My GoPro is fine. I contacted 3DR Tech Support and over a week was given the run around by the tech Sergio. It took four days of emails until he understood what button I was talking about. I had to take a screen shot with an arrow superimposed to get through to him. Finally, he indicated it was not a hardware problem and that basically I was out of luck. I still can not get an answer if the log indicated if the button was pressed. I don't even know if the app button responses are logged. I don't know if he knows how to read the logs of not. I requested supervisor support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421