Controller antennae

Yea I don't know anything about them. Panel design and has some ham operators call sign on them !

HA! I'm an idiot and didn't even Google that "WA5VJB" on the board. There's a http://www.wa5vjb.com/ site called "Kent Electronics" that makes several types of PCB antennae.

There's a section labeled "Quadcopter Antennas (coming soon)" which may be something to keep an eye on!

Last edited:
Sure enough !

The DBS panel works on similar concept but probably a little more refined. Like this.

2015070795184833.jpg

This guy went 1.5 miles out on a $15 Alfa directional hi gain 2.5 ghz antenna and $6 cable. I ordered the same one the other day and it just arrived. However I ordered the wrong cable though so it was just ordered and will be here tomorrow.

I thought I would go this low cost route to increase the signal some for safety reasons. I don't have the stomach to take out that far yet. Once I get the nerve I may get one of FPVLR.com's antennas.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Please tell me what connector cable to get. I'll have to try this at this price. RP-SMA Male to ??? Thanks.

Please tell me what connector cable to get. I'll have to try this at this price. RP-SMA Male to ??? Thanks.

I'm considering this cable and just cutting it in 1/2

51hM-mzEYgL._SL1100_.jpg

http://amzn.com/B00O43YQVI

Last edited:
This may be useful to anyone experimenting with their own antenna:

SMA-and-TNC-Connector1.jpg

One thing to keep in mind is the higher you go in frequency the more loss there is. Cheap or improperly terminated cables will cause issues.

Reactions: tesmithp
Last edited:
I tried one of these and I didn't notice a difference. What sucks is I took it off and left it at my local park....

I've had several flights since installing mine and the first 3 times I could definitely tell a difference however the last flight I did notice it was not as strong as the first flight in the same area. The only difference I can tell was the weather. This last flight was after a rain and the air was damp. I think I saw Chip mention it somewhere that optimal conditions is a dry atmosphere.

What was the weather at the park when you tested?

Its possible but I would go for a FPVLR helical or a DBS panel antenna. The gains on longer vertical radiators are going to be small compared to something that is directional.
rrmccabe I want to try the DBS panel but on the website it says it's for P3. What do I look for and what should I be asking for. Thanks for the help I feel like a helpless Kid

Its the same antenna as the P3. You just don't use the P3 mount. Not sure why he doesn't list one. I would just send him a message. I think his shipment comes in tomorrow but not sure how many are sold out of what he has coming. Just drop him a message and tell him you need an antenna for a Solo.

guys, is there an upgraded antenna with the stock antenna shape that would give us better range?

I have been looking at the 2 options mentioned until now, the DBS and the FPVLR but they are both bulky, just too big.

thank You

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc