Controller antennae

Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference between the left and right antennae on the controller? Which is for flight control/telemetry data and which is for the video feed?

Thanks!

Maybe you should unscrew one (while in ready to take off mode) and see if that cancels video feed. Try this without launching your bird

Does anyone know the difference between the left and right antennae on the controller? Which is for flight control/telemetry data and which is for the video feed?

Thanks!
They are MiMo, they just duplicate one another to make a broader signal path. It is all carried over the same wifi channel. in other words they are the same.

They both are used to get the best signal possible to the Solo.

If you want to try, you can cover one, then the other with your hand, to see what difference it would make.

But I wouldn't try running the controller without an antenna, I'm not sure if the transmitter is designed to be ok in this type of environment.

Do not take an antenna off while the controller is on!

I've seen this mentioned before and am curious if anyone can direct me to an explanation of what harm (and why) this could cause to the radio equipment.

I've seen this mentioned before and am curious if anyone can direct me to an explanation of what harm (and why) this could cause to the radio equipment.

I personally would not worry about it for a short test on a low powered device.

But as far as explanation, transmitters are supposed to be terminated with a proper impedance load. Without it you can cause damage to the transmitter. But something like this is no big deal.

Reactions: tesmithp
I've seen someone on Instagram with longer antennas. Will that help range and if so where can I get some.

Its possible but I would go for a FPVLR helical or a DBS panel antenna. The gains on longer vertical radiators are going to be small compared to something that is directional.

Its possible but I would go for a FPVLR helical or a DBS panel antenna. The gains on longer vertical radiators are going to be small compared to something that is directional.
Thanks for the info. This is a new world for me and I have a lot to learn.

I've seen someone on Instagram with longer antennas. Will that help range and if so where can I get some.

I've tried these... VERY disappointed. Almost seemed to make the situation worse when operating in a noisy area (my neighborhood)

51pNlf1DEZL._SL1000_.jpg

The verticals are omni-directional so they radiate 360 degrees around the antenna. But not off the tips. So never point the antenna at the aircraft.

Changing this type of antenna out can add slight gain and change the radiation angle but I would be surprised if it does much good.

The directional antennas like the DBS panel I am going to install takes the bulk of the energy that would be going backwards behind you and directs it forward as well. So that along with what was going forward already is forward gain and increase signal towards the aircraft if you are pointing it correctly :)

The verticals are omni-directional so they radiate 360 degrees around the antenna. But not off the tips. So never point the antenna at the aircraft.

Changing this type of antenna out can add slight gain and change the radiation angle but I would be surprised if it does much good.

The directional antennas like the DBS panel I am going to install takes the bulk of the energy that would be going backwards behind you and directs it forward as well. So that along with what was going forward already is forward gain and increase signal towards the aircraft if you are pointing it correctly :)
Where can I find this DBS Panel. Or other things like FPVLR. I don't even know what it is but sounds good. If it can help I'll check it out. Thanks

Where can I find this DBS Panel. Or other things like FPVLR. I don't even know what it is but sounds good. If it can help I'll check it out. Thanks
Fpvlr.com and dbsmods.com. On the DBS site you just order the p3 antenna. You have to change mount slightly. Or email him and he might make you a solo mount.

Any thoughts on these?

$_57.JPG

I made an antenna with those.

With the stock antennas I was getting 600'-700' at a local school. With the dual quad patch I get over 4x that. Although it does become harder to aim. I'm still working on my aiming and best height to be at.

Attachments

• quad patch.jpg
    quad patch.jpg
    624 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: tesmithp
I've tried these... VERY disappointed. Almost seemed to make the situation worse when operating in a noisy area (my neighborhood)

51pNlf1DEZL._SL1000_.jpg

Well... too much gain can make the antenna pattern's too directional.

Also, I'm not sure if the panels people are selling are circular polarized, or if they are linearly polarized.

The stock antennas (and the one in the picture) are linear polarized antennas.

Also, for anyone looking to buy alternate antenna's be sure to get the correct connector (SMA or RP-SMA). These seem to be the proper connector for the Solo's controller.

Also, for anyone looking to buy alternate antenna's be sure to get the correct connector (SMA or RP-SMA). These seem to be the proper connector for the Solo's controller.

The correct connector for the antenna is RP-SMA Male

This guy went 1.5 miles out on a $15 Alfa directional hi gain 2.5 ghz antenna and $6 cable. I ordered the same one the other day and it just arrived. However I ordered the wrong cable though so it was just ordered and will be here tomorrow.

I thought I would go this low cost route to increase the signal some for safety reasons. I don't have the stomach to take out that far yet. Once I get the nerve I may get one of FPVLR.com's antennas.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: timgilley

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc