Reaction score
I bought this drone from a private party and I am not looking for advice with customer service are trying to get 3dr to repair that drone. I am looking for advance advice with fixing the issue myself; be it changes to the software and its setting or replacement of parts. Ok with that out of the way on to the issue i am experiencing. Ever since I have had this solo it requires a compass calibration twice every time it starts up on a fresh battery. It will read "Calibration Error please restart solo" when it is 1st turned on with a new battery. I can get past this easily with a simple level calibration or a compass calibration. After that I will get a message that the compass needs to be calibrated. I can get the drone up and running after that if I do another compass calibration and most of the time this last compass calibration can take 2 or 3 times to work. Mission planner says compass not healthy in the message tab when this issue is happening. I have changed pixwaks cubes with no difference. It does appear to retain the compass calibration through a reboot and battery change based on what I have seen in Mission planer but still requires re-calibration when battery is swapped. Would this be a faulty compass or is there an issue with memory on the companion board or is there some software changes that can be made to fix this? I also I have reset SYSID_SW_MREV to 0 and re-calibrated afterwards as some posts have suggested but that did not fix it either. I am going to replace the entire companion board next. Would be nice if someone had the same experience and has fixed it themselves or could help me identify the issue in the logs.

Thanks,

Have you done a factory reset? Do that too if you haven't already. (Factory Reset | 3D Robotics - Drone & UAV Technology). That will reset the companion computer and redo the firmware update. I was going to suggest the Pixhawk reset too, but you already did that.

There is a compass in the Pixhawk, which I think we can rule out since you replaced the pixhawk. The second compass is one of the legs. I would venture a guess something is wrong with that by process of elimination. First makes sure it is isn't loose or otherwise visually screwed up. If you can't find anything obviously wrong with it, follow the wire harness into the solo and disconnect it. If memory serves me, it will still work using only the internal compass. If the calibration passes, I think that would confirm the problem is the external compass. I believe it will arm and fly with only the internal compass too. You are losing a level of redundancy and verification, but I think it will work. In the meantime, appropriate a replacement compass for the leg.

OK I will try that too, thanks for the advice. I do have a second companion board I could swap as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo