Contacting Airports

Reaction score
I woke today to a beautiful morning (the first this year) with high hopes, but when I contacted an airport tower almost 5 miles away the guy I talked with was totally clueless. He told me that I can't fly within a 5 mile radius and if it's outside that limit there was no need to contact them. He wouldn't even take any info. Has anybody else had difficulties like this. If you had a positive experience I sure like about that as well. I'd sure like to know our interests aren't held to the whims of an uninformed or disinterested controller.

I woke today to a beautiful morning (the first this year) with high hopes, but when I contacted an airport tower almost 5 miles away the guy I talked with was totally clueless. He told me that I can't fly within a 5 mile radius and if it's outside that limit there was no need to contact them. He wouldn't even take any info. Has anybody else had difficulties like this. If you had a positive experience I sure like about that as well. I'd sure like to know our interests aren't held to the whims of an uninformed or disinterested controller.
I got my pilots license in 1988. I've talked to many tower controllers over the years and I'm not surprised by the response you got.

There has been much hoopla online about "contacting the tower", but I know that most tower controllers are busy with other stuff and couldn't give a crap about people with drones. Unless you're flying in their airspace- if you're in there, get out. If you want in, forget it. Drones are banned within 5 miles and he can't give you permission to enter and violate the law.

If you're outside 5 miles he can't say squat to you 'cause you're legal (assuming your altitude is) and he could care less about you 'cause he's busy with other stuff. :D

From what I understand, you don't need their permission, just to inform them. When I called my local (very small) commercial airport, I got a recording directing me to their web site. There was an interactive PDF that had all the information I could put in electronically (including my FAA number). There was a time, but no date. I thought this would be a HUGE hassle - to have to do this form any time I wanted to fly.
I called and talked to a live person, and she said I could fly at that time every day (2pm-9pm) without any further notice. Just stay under 400 feet, and stay far away from any air traffic.

Not a bad deal at all!

From what I understand, you don't need their permission, just to inform them. When I called my local (very small) commercial airport, I got a recording directing me to their web site. There was an interactive PDF that had all the information I could put in electronically (including my FAA number). There was a time, but no date. I thought this would be a HUGE hassle - to have to do this form any time I wanted to fly.
I called and talked to a live person, and she said I could fly at that time every day (2pm-9pm) without any further notice. Just stay under 400 feet, and stay far away from any air traffic.

Not a bad deal at all!
I don't understand what you mean by "you don't need their permission you just need to inform them".?

I don't understand what you mean by "you don't need their permission you just need to inform them".?
Model Aircraft Operations
Note that the rule states that you must "contact the airport and control tower before flying" [within the 5-mile radius] but neither prohibits it nor requires permission.
My direct experience is flying within a 5-mile radius of a commercial (passenger) airport with their full knowledge and consent.

That's correct MD, like DG posted you are only required to inform them, not get their permission. They will generally ask that you stay below 400'.

Model Aircraft Operations
Note that the rule states that you must "contact the airport and control tower before flying" [within the 5-mile radius] but neither prohibits it nor requires permission.
My direct experience is flying within a 5-mile radius of a commercial (passenger) airport with their full knowledge and consent.
Oh-boy confusing. The enforcement card given to law enforcement states that Public Law 112-95 is the basis for enforcement action.
P.L. 112-95 just states that the FAA is supposed to develop guidelines for integrating UAV's into the National airspace system- it doesn't make anything "illegal".

I just saw a story in the news about somebody being arrested for flying within the 5 mile limit- wonder what law they used to do that?:confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feamador