commercial use license help

Reaction score
Does anybody have a suggestion for a company that will help someone get thru the license process so I can do real estate photos and videos ???

I am 75 years old and don't read and write very good. I had to work and did not get in much schooling.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I imagine once the tests are final and available companies will come out of the woodwork offering training and assistance
for a considerable profit of course

I imagine once the tests are final and available companies will come out of the woodwork offering training and assistance
for a considerable profit of course

I am guessing sometime in Sept. would be a good time to check then.

I work at a local FBO (muskegon, MI) and we have already posted a drone school ground course costing $200 plus I believe the test is $175. We are starting the ground school on Aug 15 so there will be little delay for those that can't take the test already (people who hold at least a private pilot license). I would suggest calling up some local FBOs in your area and ask around to see if anybody is doing something similar. I am already a pilot so I didn't have to wait I took the test already.

Reactions: Wacky roger
I work at a local FBO (muskegon, MI) and we have already posted a drone school ground course costing $200 plus I believe the test is $175. We are starting the ground school on Aug 15 so there will be little delay for those that can't take the test already (people who hold at least a private pilot license). I would suggest calling up some local FBOs in your area and ask around to see if anybody is doing something similar. I am already a pilot so I didn't have to wait I took the test already.

Thank you. I will start making some calls.

Hey Roger, I just want to add some information here.

I've been doing aerial real estate photography for about 6 months and I've found the market to be pretty soft. Everyone thinks it would be a great way to show off a house but when it comes to pulling out the checkbook then it's another matter.

The best advice I can give you is something I've been doing recently. Instead of marketing to realtors market to real estate photographers as a way for them to offer aerial photography and make money off of it. The way I present it is that there is a very large expense to get into the business and do it right. I've got about $4,000 in drones, batteries, camera, after-market lens, and filters. Also lots of practice and learning on how to do it. Instead of them putting out the expense and going through the learning curve they can offer it right now by subcontracting to me.

I have a retail rate that I charge my direct clients, and a wholesale rate that I charge other photographers. I tell them that they can charge their client whatever they want, and as far as I'm concerned I work for them.

It's a good way to tap into a market where the realtors already have a relationship with a photographer.

Hey Roger, I just want to add some information here.

I've been doing aerial real estate photography for about 6 months and I've found the market to be pretty soft. Everyone thinks it would be a great way to show off a house but when it comes to pulling out the checkbook then it's another matter.

The best advice I can give you is something I've been doing recently. Instead of marketing to realtors market to real estate photographers as a way for them to offer aerial photography and make money off of it. The way I present it is that there is a very large expense to get into the business and do it right. I've got about $4,000 in drones, batteries, camera, after-market lens, and filters. Also lots of practice and learning on how to do it. Instead of them putting out the expense and going through the learning curve they can offer it right now by subcontracting to me.

I have a retail rate that I charge my direct clients, and a wholesale rate that I charge other photographers. I tell them that they can charge their client whatever they want, and as far as I'm concerned I work for them.

It's a good way to tap into a market where the realtors already have a relationship with a photographer.

Thank you I will look into this way of doing it.

Also hook up with a land-locked videographer (I like that term, rolls off the tongue better than ground-based or land-based, I should copyright it). Present the same argument, there is absolutely no doubt that llv's (land-locked videographers) are looking at the aerial market and wanting to get in. Also offer that when you get pulled in on a house that you'll offer them up for inside video.

Also hook up with a land-locked videographer (I like that term, rolls off the tongue better than ground-based or land-based, I should copyright it). Present the same argument, there is absolutely no doubt that llv's (land-locked videographers) are looking at the aerial market and wanting to get in. Also offer that when you get pulled in on a house that you'll offer them up for inside video.

Good idea thanks.

Does anybody have a suggestion for a company that will help someone get thru the license process so I can do real estate photos and videos ???

I am 75 years old and don't read and write very good. I had to work and did not get in much schooling.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Take a look at FAA Drone Certification Test Prep | Drone Pilot Ground School Their online course is $300. The exam is $150 each time you take it, so it is a good idea to be prepared. Most of the course is on-screen slides at your pace, like a PowerPoint, with voice over. Might be just the thing you are looking for. You should also make a test appointment; the list of centers giving the test is here: https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/test_centers.pdf
Good luck.

Take a look at FAA Drone Certification Test Prep | Drone Pilot Ground School Their online course is $300. The exam is $150 each time you take it, so it is a good idea to be prepared. Most of the course is on-screen slides at your pace, like a PowerPoint, with voice over. Might be just the thing you are looking for. You should also make a test appointment; the list of centers giving the test is here: https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/test_centers.pdf
Good luck.

Mr. Rose, thank you. I have book marked it and will take a look at it today.

Here are some online courses.

Dart Drones – $350 online $670 in person
Online course is currently available.

Drone Pilot Ground School – $299 online
It appears as if the course is currently available online.

Aerodrome – $250 online $895 in person
Online course is available.

UAV Ground School – $249 online (includes 2-year access to all online classes)
Course is available online.

Aviation Seminars – $429 two-day course in person

Drone Knowledge Test Prep – $20

Sarah Nilsson – Free

Just going from the websites, I like the Dart Drones offering. The curriculum as published looks like it matches closely and in detail the Part 107 exam knowledge requirements. The instructor faculty looks pretty good too.

UAV Ground School has a nice approach mixing video lectures with graphic and text aids, links to FAA and other resources, and a solid practice test. You can take a look at a lot of the materials and get a good feel for the course. Roger, you may find that the mix of different media tools may work for your learning style.

Drone Knowledge Test Prep seems to have a real good practice test.

Sarah Nilsson's offering is very comprehensive and for some learners may be all that's needed to master the material. I know that's the path I'm taking, and my test is scheduled for Aug 30.

You also may find that a course you can take in person in a classroom may be best. I would want to be sure that the course handouts are sufficient unto themselves for getting you ready for the test. A two-day lecture may or may not be enough immersion for all students. I know that I plan on putting in at least 40 hours of study.

Good luck to everyone!

Here are some online courses.

Dart Drones – $350 online $670 in person
Online course is currently available.

Drone Pilot Ground School – $299 online
It appears as if the course is currently available online.

Aerodrome – $250 online $895 in person
Online course is available.

UAV Ground School – $249 online (includes 2-year access to all online classes)
Course is available online.

Aviation Seminars – $429 two-day course in person

Drone Knowledge Test Prep – $20

Sarah Nilsson – Free

Just going from the websites, I like the Dart Drones offering. The curriculum as published looks like it matches closely and in detail the Part 107 exam knowledge requirements. The instructor faculty looks pretty good too.

UAV Ground School has a nice approach mixing video lectures with graphic and text aids, links to FAA and other resources, and a solid practice test. You can take a look at a lot of the materials and get a good feel for the course. Roger, you may find that the mix of different media tools may work for your learning style.

Drone Knowledge Test Prep seems to have a real good practice test.

Sarah Nilsson's offering is very comprehensive and for some learners may be all that's needed to master the material. I know that's the path I'm taking, and my test is scheduled for Aug 30.

You also may find that a course you can take in person in a classroom may be best. I would want to be sure that the course handouts are sufficient unto themselves for getting you ready for the test. A two-day lecture may or may not be enough immersion for all students. I know that I plan on putting in at least 40 hours of study.

Good luck to everyone!

WOW!!! this is great. Thank You.

WOW!!! this is great. Thank You.

Roger - the photos posted on your website are very impressive. It seems to me that you are looking for a pilot for hire rather than spending the 1-2 years it really takes to deeply understand this UAV "drone" endeavor. Yeah, a flying camera is an awesome tool...and it takes just a simple mistake to lose $2000+ worth of gear into a swamp.
I plan to offer "pilot and UAV for hire" services once my Section 333 exemption is approved. I'm thinking many of the Section 333 exempt guys on the forum would be interested in supporting your projects as well. Keep in mind, flying over wildlife preserves in manned aircraft is restricted, so use of UAVs in the same airspace may have similar restrictions....finding out what is permissible is the work of a piloting service, IMHO.

Roger - the photos posted on your website are very impressive. It seems to me that you are looking for a pilot for hire rather than spending the 1-2 years it really takes to deeply understand this UAV "drone" endeavor. Yeah, a flying camera is an awesome tool...and it takes just a simple mistake to lose $2000+ worth of gear into a swamp.
I plan to offer "pilot and UAV for hire" services once my Section 333 exemption is approved. I'm thinking many of the Section 333 exempt guys on the forum would be interested in supporting your projects as well. Keep in mind, flying over wildlife preserves in manned aircraft is restricted, so use of UAVs in the same airspace may have similar restrictions....finding out what is permissible is the work of a piloting service, IMHO.

Three things are preventing me from hiring someone to do the flying.

I am old and stubborn and made up my mind I was going to learn this drone thing. I practice at least 5 batteries every day the weather lets me and that is probably 95% of the time. This is how I learned to do my photos and it worked just fine.

All the work I do for the railroad is free cuz I want to try and help them out.

My real estate clients (ground photos of their listings) have asked me to do this and I said OK, so that means I have to learn how.

It may seem like a daunting task, Roger. But I think that if you find some comprehensive study material you like and go over it a few times it will sink in. And I'm hoping that works for both of us.

It may seem like a daunting task, Roger. But I think that if you find some comprehensive study material you like and go over it a few times it will sink in. And I'm hoping that works for both of us.

me to

Three things are preventing me from hiring someone to do the flying.

I am old and stubborn and made up my mind I was going to learn this drone thing. I practice at least 5 batteries every day the weather lets me and that is probably 95% of the time. This is how I learned to do my photos and it worked just fine.

All the work I do for the railroad is free cuz I want to try and help them out.

My real estate clients (ground photos of their listings) have asked me to do this and I said OK, so that means I have to learn how.
5batts plus the data workflow...that's quite an investment in time daiky...good luck in the quest!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc