having video feed problems"

Just a small damp blanket -- "fixing" a loose connector by adding side pressure is a temporary fix, because the connector is metal and over time, the metal (and foam) will yield to the pressure. Assuming the cause of the loose connector is vibration or impact (gentle landing impact for example, or being set town on the bench, or riding on your back or in the hardcase, etc.), those extra forces will now apply with the added boost the foam creates, and will cause the same issue on the new scale. If the foam is just strong enough to correct the slack, only causing the connectors to touch more fully, but without pressure, this further loosening could take long enough that you don't care (like a year or more, possibly, but just hoping out loud heh). So I would advise caution on the foam bit, too much is way way too much in this case.

The person doing a bit of a crimp has a good idea IMO. If you can get the connection to be snug again without any foam, then do that, and concentrate on supporting the cable farther up from the connector so that it cannot move there, so it doesn't move the connector, stressing and loosening it. Strain relief like this should be much more permanent, and will not harm your Solo!
Mr_Chris, Thanks for your comments,
I say no less then 3 Times to Squeeze, Pinch or Crimp the sockets. It's the FIRST thing i say.
Remember not to Squeeze, Pinch or Crimp the sockets too much, Just a little, till more snug fit.

Last edited:
Yeah Steve, not criticising your efforts at all. :) Just pointing out the risks of the foam block, and everyone's foam will be different, some stiffer, some cut larger than others, etc. So it's good to tell people what to watch out for I think. Someone might think, "I'll put a little extra foam in there so it's extra tight!" and end up with the opposite result.

Sorry to offend -- I didn't mean to!

Yes, foam/sponge can disintegrate over time, Dislodge from Vibration, discolor from heat/
It's just a quick fix, work around.
many have adopted new ways to improve my DIY Mod about Solo Bad Video Feed probelm.

By all means, this fix/Mod isn't set in stone, please make it better, add to it, redo the procedure, what ever floats your boat LOL.

Some has used Hot Glue, some have used plane cardboard, Some rather wait 3 weeks to have 3DR send them a replacement LOL..

I have just so happend find a quick fix mod. to a really bad probelm for 3DR & 3DR's Customers
Have a nice day

Reactions: Coastwise
I am so pleased to have discovered this thread, two Solo's the one just received at their special price does not have video feed from 4k Black right out of the box. My last year model with 3+ Hero black just stopped video feed, so will take both apart and try this fix.
But if controller/Ipad mini4 receive camera settings control but no video feed, is not receiving video a usual problem???

Yes Phil. This thread is about the video. The control is separate. So having one issue and not the other is very likely unless you're using a dead GoPro.

Reactions: SteveReno
Just did a search and found this thread. Similar problem here, I get a white screen on my phone from live video feed from GoPro. It's strange, white horizontal bars almost. I'll take a look at it this weekend and try this fix.

Just did a search and found this thread. Similar problem here, I get a white screen on my phone from live video feed from GoPro. It's strange, white horizontal bars almost. I'll take a look at it this weekend and try this fix.
It's a quick fix for most feed problems, But not for all.
Let me know if i can help...

I took everything apart made sure the hdmi was seated deep in both ends and added some foam. Still no luck. I didn't crimp however. Kind of forgot about the crimping part until I had it back together.

Maybe I should take it apart again and try that? How much pressure are you using to crimp?

Or I guess it could be the cable.

Here's my live feed.

Attachments

• IMG_0091.PNG
    IMG_0091.PNG
    185.5 KB · Views: 62
Squeeze the top & Bottom with your Thumb & forth finger on both ends of the HDMI. Gimbal end & Main board end. Then test by reinserting to see if anymore tension is on HDMI Just enough to feel a difference", If not, then try again.
White screen? Don't remember seeing a white screen, But video rolling, many colors & blanking out.
If your feed isn't doing any of these, then you may have other probelm.
Test GoPro without being installed on Solo. Try hooking up GoPro to TV via HDMI to Micro HDMI cable.
Why do you have Bluetooth on?
Turn that off, if not needed.

Last edited:
Squeeze the top & Bottom with your Thumb & forth finger on both ends of the HDMI. Gimbal end & Main board end. Then test by reinserting to see if anymore tension is on HDMI Just enough to feel a difference", If not, then try again.
White screen? Don't remember seeing a white screen, But video rolling, many colors & blanking out.
If your feed isn't doing any of these, then you may have other probelm.
Test GoPro without being installed on Solo. Try hooking up GoPro to TV via HDMI to Micro HDMI cable.
Why do you have Bluetooth on?
Turn that off, if not needed.

I just have Bluetooth on for my vehicle. I was using my phone on the controller. Bluetooth is always on. I guess I could turn it off every time I use solo.

It was fairly dark when I shot that video. During the day those dark blue lines are much brighter (greyish white). When I tilt the camera, I can see colour changes on screen.

Well it seems fixed. I was reading threads on this subject last night and came across one person who said it was a long shot but they switched settings on their GoPro and it cleared up the video feed.

So as a last ditch effort I switched my GoPro 3+black from 1080 to 2.7k and it worked. Totally fine video feed this morning.

Can't find that persons post, wanted to thank them.

If your video feed is Rolling, freezing, Stopping. I have a fix that worked for many Solo users.
I always assumed that the problems mentioned above, were do the HDMI connection at the Gimbal side of the HDMI cable. It was the first place i would checked for a bad connection. I have had to Change HDMI cables 3 times in 1 year. Relish 3D sending me out a new HDMI ribbon cable, but with this fix, never got to use it.

I checked the other end of the HDMI, the one that goes to the main board.
Needed to go through a process to open Solo up "not hard". then i tugged on HDMI plug & it seemed loose.
Squeezed "Pinched" the HDMI receptacle "socket" very lightly, then re inserted the cable, seemed a bit more solid.
Behind the plug, the cable was wobbly in a up, down direction.
A full 1/2 in. of play.
Cut out a piece of hard foam almost a 3/8 thick, wedged it between the top of the HDMI plug "about 1" behind the HDMI receptacle & the main board.
Felt snug enough.
Put back everything, turn on Solo & like magic, all my problems with Video feed gone. never came back!

This will fix many Video Feed problems.
Again, very lightly compress the HDMI connectors.
at 6:45 of this video shows where HDMI cable is >>How to install ribbon cable Video
View attachment 3832

I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH!!! I was driving myself crazy tearing apart solo trying to find the culprit, first thought was the gimbal but when switched to fixed mount same problem... took your advice. Used foam inserts that come with the solo, and felt the wiggle room you mentioned, so followed your steps. Its sprinkling outside but i had to try it. with my stock antenna made is 3000 ft before loss of signal, had consistent feed the entire time. Returned home safely - tried her off and all is well. I've been waiting for 3DR for over 2 weeks now and keep getting "sorry for the delay" emails. If it wasnt for people like you i'd still be taking apart the solo and waiting for 3DR. Thank you so much for this insightful yet simple fix. 10 thumbs up

Reactions: SteveReno
So glad you posted this yesterday! I was about to install the Relish3D cable this morning to fix the issues. I will give it a try... Wish I thought of this 2 weeks ago before I bought a replacement gimbal thinking that was the solution.
i did the same but through amazon so as soon as it arrives it will be going right back! I used a dab of hot glue to insure no movement between the plug and port and gave it a few tugs, still nice and snug. How is the ribbon cable a better fix? less bulk as the original cable?

I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH!!! I was driving myself crazy tearing apart solo trying to find the culprit, first thought was the gimbal but when switched to fixed mount same problem... took your advice. Used foam inserts that come with the solo, and felt the wiggle room you mentioned, so followed your steps. Its sprinkling outside but i had to try it. with my stock antenna made is 3000 ft before loss of signal, had consistent feed the entire time. Returned home safely - tried her off and all is well. I've been waiting for 3DR for over 2 weeks now and keep getting "sorry for the delay" emails. If it wasnt for people like you i'd still be taking apart the solo and waiting for 3DR. Thank you so much for this insightful yet simple fix. 10 thumbs up
Fly-Hi-Photography, Glad it worked for you. Some people rather wait for Support, after days, sometimes weeks, They offer an exchange of Solo.
Pinching the HDMI receptacle are also recommended.
Have Fun...
Happy 2017

...How is the ribbon cable a better fix? less bulk as the original cable?
Search for "ribbon" and/or "Relish" on these forums. They seem to be fragile and folks have had problems with them. I have one in stock, but never installed it.

I waited 3 weeks and 3dr finally offered to replace the hdmi cable, they had no other solution, told owen it wasnt the cable its the poor connectors on the receptor, i credited you as well for the solution!

If your video feed is Rolling, freezing, Stopping. I have a fix that worked for many Solo users.
I always assumed that the problems mentioned above, were do the HDMI connection at the Gimbal side of the HDMI cable. It was the first place i would checked for a bad connection. I have had to Change HDMI cables 3 times in 1 year. Relish 3D sending me out a new HDMI ribbon cable, but with this fix, never got to use it.

Needed to go through a process to open Solo up "not hard". then i tugged on HDMI plug & it seemed loose.
Squeezed "Pinched" the HDMI receptacle "socket" very lightly, then re inserted the cable, seemed a bit more solid.
A full 1/2 in. of play.
Cut out a piece of hard foam almost a 3/8 thick, wedged it between the top of the HDMI plug "about 1" behind the HDMI receptacle & the main board.
Felt snug enough.
Put back everything, turn on Solo & like magic, all my problems with Video feed gone. never came back!

at 6:45 of this video shows where HDMI cable is >>How to install ribbon cable Video
View attachment 3832

A full 1/2 in. of play.
Felt snug enough.

View attachment 3832
Hi Steve. I have to say thank you my friend. I have the most steady feed from the HDMI cable now. I had watched that video before about the ribbon cable and ordered it and installed it. I just recently started having problems So I followed the directions you posted and installed the little piece of foam just got back from flying and it was perfect..

Many thanks

Hi Steve. I have to say thank you my friend. I have the most steady feed from the HDMI cable now. I had watched that video before about the ribbon cable and ordered it and installed it. I just recently started having problems So I followed the directions you posted and installed the little piece of foam just got back from flying and it was perfect..

Many thanks
Your very much welcome.

Your very much welcome.
I'm having similar issues as have been described in this thread, I feel lucky to have found this information sooner than later. Now fingers crossed that I can fix that problem before anything else goes haywire! Thanks for the great tips!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc